< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lincoln Ike's Black Rifle challenge  (Read 11266 times)

Offline bjochum1

• Forum Member
Re: Lincoln Ike's Black Rifle challenge
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2014, 08:37:55 PM »
Hello NFOA Members.  This is Ben Jochum, the writer of the email introducing this event.  Thank you Dan W. for posting this to the forum and everyone for showing such interest.  It is also available to share or join on Facebook (black rifle challenge) As requested, I have joined the forum to answer questions but the day of the event Mike K. will have final call.

First off, I will be shooting my "un-Western" deer rifle (my Father's words), my 6.8 SPC with a 3x9 Nikon and 16.5" Stag upper. It has taken a couple wild boars in Texas so I'm hoping it'll have some good luck on the metal ones.  The May date I will probably switch to my Aramalite A2 NM and try the Iron sight division.

The main question I see relates to caliber and it seems you guys have worked out the answer.  There are many options and the only issue is damage to the steel.  Best idea: bring two guns.  If your questionable one hurts the steel, apologize, weld it back, and switch to your other rifle.

At the moment there are only 2 dates for this event (and some folk can't make either).  If there is the interest, we will add more dates.  I will try to place them on dates not occupied by other gun club rifle matches.

This event should be a fun opportunity to meet some shooters and also get some DOPE on your rifle at 200 and 300 yards.  I will also be using this opportunity to get my rifles prairie dog ready.  The stage firing order right now will be targets first; Bench stage at 200, then Sniper (prone) at 300.  We can put more targets on the line at once than steel, so, come the Field stage we hope you would buddy up and spot for someone.

There will be scorecards to fill out during the match and I will compile results to email out.  While there are no awards for getting top score, it will be fun to see how you shot compared to your friends (sibling in my case).  Also, this will teach new shooters how to score targets.  I've already had some issues with "I don't have a bi-pod" or such.  Don't let that stop you from coming out.  Shooters are good people and will loan equipment without a worry.  This event was created to bring out as many people as we can and have a good time.  We will listen to suggestions and evolve the event as we progress.

Come early to get a good zero - the course is less fun if you have no idea where shots are landing.  See you all Sunday!

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2014, 08:49:03 PM »
I have a new barrel and stock on my rifle finally, just need to get a little trigger time and a solid zero. Doubt I'll make this one but I might be able to make the next one.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2014, 08:39:56 AM »
I'm going to try to make it ot the one in may, I'm pretty excited about this, just for my schedule these two weekends aren't ideal, we'll see how my fishing trip goes and if the Mrs lets me take off again the same weekend...

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2014, 08:51:42 AM »
I have a new barrel and stock on my rifle finally, just need to get a little trigger time and a solid zero. Doubt I'll make this one but I might be able to make the next one.

I'm going to try and hit the range early Saturday morning to double check my zero.  If you want to meet out there I can spot for you. 

I'm trying to decide whether I want to use 75gr Hornady OTM or 36gr Barnes Varmint Grenade.  The Barnes is what my gun shoots best and it's what I use for P-dogs so I want to try that, but if there's wind the 75's will handle it better.  So I'll probably get sight dope for both and make a game time call on it....

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 09:03:02 AM »
Just checked the weather... 59 with SW 10mph wind and 30% chance for rain. Yesterday was showing higher wind with lower % of rain.

I went to the range this last Saturday and after the first 80 rounds my trigger developed a disconnector issue... So I might not be shooting with my lower... or I have to tear down one of my dads rifles... What I would really like to do is buy a Geissele but that's not happening right now...

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2014, 09:28:22 PM »
If you come i know someone will let you borrow their lower and that person will have an ssa in that same lower.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2014, 09:38:45 PM »
I am coming... my lower or barrowed lower. I have the problem narrowed now just need to tear it back a part and look for burrs and maybe a little polishing of the disconnecter. If that person would still be willing to let me get a couple trigger pulls to make my Geissele hole in my soul get bigger :)

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2014, 10:17:26 PM »
I'm going to try and hit the range early Saturday morning to double check my zero.  If you want to meet out there I can spot for you. 

Will keep that in mind.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2014, 05:52:57 AM »
I am coming... my lower or barrowed lower. I have the problem narrowed now just need to tear it back a part and look for burrs and maybe a little polishing of the disconnecter. If that person would still be willing to let me get a couple trigger pulls to make my Geissele hole in my soul get bigger :)

Will keep that in mind.

barring any unfortunate last minute emergencies, i will be there.  anyone can shoot my SSA, as long as you provide the ammo.  the lower is also an SBR, so any barrel length is ok.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2014, 12:28:41 PM »
newb question, having only owned an AR for about 3 months and having never shot at a real range, I want to make sure I don't make an arse out of myself if I'm able to make it to the May weekend for this.

I've only shot 2 types of ammo out of my AR, and have never shot at a real range like this, I've shot soft point 223 ammo at the Bullet Hole and some green tipped 556 stuff (gun loves this) at my buddies farm.

What should I use for this? I know there was the request to limit ammo to avoid damaging steel targets.

Just plain plinking ammo work? match? softpoint? PLease go easy on me, 99% of my gun experience is making large brown things with antlers fall down quickly, not target practice at 200 yards against steel.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »
i plan on using some FMJ.  i think the green tip is a no-no for this.  i already know i am coming in last, so everyone needs to come out to this event.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2014, 12:53:33 PM »
Landon

My plan is to shoot anything that a magnet doesn't stick to. As Robert said the main concern of the Ikes is they do not want the steel beaten up. Ben said that the steel regularly gets hit with 308 so a 55FMJ should be fine. My plan for this weekend is to shoot the Federal Black Box 223 from Wal-Mart. Not the cheapest stuff in the work but it seems to always be available. I need to take some inventory since Robert has offered up some trial runs with his lower. Hopefully by the May date I will have had enough time to work on some hand loads using heavier bullets and cheaper plinking rounds.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2014, 12:55:58 PM »
i plan on using some FMJ.  i think the green tip is a no-no for this.  i already know i am coming in last, so everyone needs to come out to this event.
Hey, I plan on giving you a run for your money for that last spot.  (If I can make it this weekend- it may have to be next go round. )
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »

Correct, please don't use green tip or other "penetrator" rounds as they will most likely damage the silhouettes.  The magnet test is a good guidline.  If it attracts a magnet it shouldn't be shot at steel (this is a good idea anywhere with steel targets). 

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2014, 05:52:45 PM »
See everyone in the morning.

Offline Torino

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2014, 04:26:18 PM »
Had a great time today and met some great people too.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2014, 08:16:53 AM »
how did everyone do?
I'm going out this weekend to stretch the legs of my rifle to 300 yards to see if i can even hit anything at that range

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2014, 08:24:14 AM »
It was a lot of fun.  Unfortunately I'll be out of town for the next one.  If we have more of them I'd like to shoot irons - I have a RRA National Match A2 that desperately needs taken out for some exercise.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2014, 08:34:41 AM »
how did everyone do?
I'm going out this weekend to stretch the legs of my rifle to 300 yards to see if i can even hit anything at that range

It was a great time! Got introduced to Bkoenig and spent some time talking with Robert. They had just under 35 shooters and 3 squads so shooting took some time. Bkoenig was the big winner for the optics division and I beat Rob for last place. But I also didn't get a chance to shoot the last stage I had to leave  :-[.  I was happy with how my first two stages turned out for hardly ever shooting over 100 yards and never out to 300. 

Picture of the 300 yard stage.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2014, 08:44:16 AM »
if i had a family member that wanted to come but didnt have any AR would it be possible for 2 people to use the same gun, or would this create too much of a time log jam?