< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lincoln Ike's Black Rifle challenge  (Read 11267 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Lincoln Ike's Black Rifle challenge
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2014, 08:47:33 AM »
if i had a family member that wanted to come but didnt have any AR would it be possible for 2 people to use the same gun, or would this create too much of a time log jam?

They had enough shooters that they had to shoot 3 relays, so you could easily use the same gun.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2014, 10:08:49 AM »
what was the range of scores?
was it pretty close, or did 1 or 2 guys just destroy everyone?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2014, 11:20:25 AM »
It was pretty spread out.  If a couple shots had gone differently the top few places could have easily been switched.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »
so modest

I'm trying to figure out how badly I'm going to place in the May one. What type of spread was your 10 shot group at 300?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2014, 01:14:20 PM »
I had a couple of flyers at 300, but I want to say I overall I was holding about 2 MOA.  My elevation was a little low.

The steel silhouettes are what really made the big difference.  The 200 and 300 yard stages were worth 100 points each, and there were probably at least a half dozen shooters who had combined scores of 199 on those two stages.  I don't think anyone shot both perfectly.  The silhouettes were worth 10 points each and you shot 10 of them, so missing just one would really drop your score.

I knocked down my first 5 in a row and while they were resetting the next 5 I was thinking "This is a piece of cake!".  Then  I lined up the crosshairs on #6, squeezed the trigger and watched it fall through the scope, and heard someone yell "Hey, someone just shot my pig!".

After that, I was so mad at myself that I just blasted through the next 4 and missed one of them, too.  Shooting is 90% mental, and that's the part that usually bites me in the butt.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »
Brian got first... i think i placed in the middle. But i beat a lot of people because they had to leave early.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2014, 02:28:37 PM »
Brian got first... i think i placed in the middle. But i beat a lot of people because they had to leave early.

You'd have placed a lot higher if you were shooting hotter loads or heavier bullets.  You had 4 or 5 good hits on the pigs that didn't knock them over.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2014, 02:44:52 PM »
i'm guessing he was shooting 55gr?
Those didn't knock the steel down? Was it counted as a hit ?

I might have to go buy some heavy match rounds, I'll need all the points I can get!

If this was a shotgun slug shooting contest at 50-75 yards with open sights, ya'll'd be in trouble!, but long range...... um?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2014, 03:20:13 PM »
Steel has to fall for it to count.  A 55gr bullet is borderline for the pigs.  If you hit below the centerline it may not have enough energy to knock it over.  I was shooting 75gr Hornady Bullets and they would knock them over with a little more authority.  The pigs are big enough that you should be able to place a shot higher up, though.

I'm not sure, but they may use chickens at the next one.  They fall over easier but they're harder to hit.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2014, 03:48:32 PM »
Regardless of where i placed, it was fun yet challenging
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bjochum1

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2014, 08:53:32 AM »
News for next challenge, May 25th. There will be a few changes for this Challenge.
1. All paper will be shot at 200 yards so we don't have to swap target holders during the match.
2. Last time steel pigs were not falling easy, so we'll be shooting Chickens this Field stage. Smaller but lighter

Mike will be asking for feedback for the June BRC which will most likely June 22nd.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2014, 10:52:51 AM »
I still really want to try to make it to this, have a couple obstibcles but still going to try.
really need to at least get my scope close before showing up

there is a "sight in" time, how much time would I have to get sighted in?  enough to really take my time and try to get it good and zero'd?

Offline bjochum1

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2014, 12:17:59 PM »
There is sufficient time to get a good zero and plenty of benches to shoot from. Please come with a good 100 yard zero to speed things along. Last time we started the match late to make sure shooters were zeroed.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2014, 02:06:16 PM »
how did the last even go?

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2014, 09:20:05 PM »
Well Idk what Ben is up to so I will chime in. I didn't go but my dad helped out. He said they only had 14 shooters this time but that was to be expected with other holiday events happening. They are planning for the June match. Sounds like the next match is going to be shoot at 300 yards and I'm not sure what they are going to do for the steel part yet. I'm sure Ben will give a little more detail as the June match comes closer.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Offline bjochum1

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2014, 07:49:57 PM »
Last Sunday's BRC went really well.  We switched to smaller targets across the board and I didn't hear any complaints.  We as Safety Officers are getting the swing of things with directing a herd of shooters and I had no safety issues at all. 
I, however, didn't get to shoot this round but that's the cost of organizing things.  June 22nd will have some more possible changes; division, rifle, distance.  We're currently in discussion of opening up the rifle classification to a more wide open "modern military rifle".