< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: FA BCG  (Read 1465 times)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
FA BCG
« on: March 13, 2014, 01:00:33 PM »
I'm i good to go with one of these, or is it risky for the FA variety to be installed?

I've read that it's fine unless it just happens to shoot FA on accident?

What do you regular builders opt for?

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: FA BCG
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 01:04:25 PM »
Full auto BCG are find. The ATF has given blessing. A lot of people say the FA BCG run better because that is how the rife was designed to work.... I can agree with the but I also have never shot a semi auto either. 

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 01:13:59 PM »
Full auto BCG are find. The ATF has given blessing. A lot of people say the FA BCG run better because that is how the rife was designed to work.... I can agree with the but I also have never shot a semi auto either. 

Alright, thanks.  Like i said, i read at the other site it was fine, just wanted to double check with the NE folks.

Thanks!

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 01:16:39 PM »
Full auto is achieved in the trigger assembly and sear.... with out them no fun  :laugh:

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 02:39:03 PM »
The bolt carrier is not a regulated part.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 02:52:54 PM »
For most reliable operation you want a fully shrouded firing pin like the enhanced AR15  and M16 carriers use. All my rifles have M16 carriers installed
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 10:23:36 PM »
Thanks again everyone.

Offline DCPrecisionLLC

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 12:58:13 PM »
There is a lot to the BCG discussion more than just reliability. Heavy bolt carriers are stronger and less prone to failure, although it's not a part very prone to failure in the first place. They also help to slow down cycle time in over gassed guns running carbine or pistol length gas systems. However, more mass moving around equals more recoil. That is why you will see some competition guns built with very lightweight BCGs, but then in a standard gas system you will get extremely fast cycle rates and the possibility of bolt bounce. So then you need to start thinking about mid or rifle length gas systems or adjustable gas blocks and heavier buffers.

Bottom line, on a standard gun, I would run a FA BCG   :D
DCPrecisionLLC
www.dcprecisionllc.com
DCPrecisionllc@gmail.com
(512) 492-5379

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »
There is a lot to the BCG discussion more than just reliability. Heavy bolt carriers are stronger and less prone to failure, although it's not a part very prone to failure in the first place. They also help to slow down cycle time in over gassed guns running carbine or pistol length gas systems. However, more mass moving around equals more recoil. That is why you will see some competition guns built with very lightweight BCGs, but then in a standard gas system you will get extremely fast cycle rates and the possibility of bolt bounce. So then you need to start thinking about mid or rifle length gas systems or adjustable gas blocks and heavier buffers.

..... or an adjustable gas block; but that's another aside to this discussion.  :)

Offline DCPrecisionLLC

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 09:52:55 PM »
..... or an adjustable gas block; but that's another aside to this discussion.  :)

Too bad there aren't many adjustable gas block friendly rails out there right now. Unless you have one that slides completely off fairly easily.

Recoil and reliability all come down to a balance of gas pressure (adjustable gas block and system length), BCG weight, buffer and spring weight.

DCPrecisionLLC
www.dcprecisionllc.com
DCPrecisionllc@gmail.com
(512) 492-5379