< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Selling pistol to private party  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Tstephens

• Powder Benefactor
Selling pistol to private party
« on: February 26, 2015, 07:27:12 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about selling one of my pistols to a private party. I have never done this before and am just wondering what has to be done to make sure it's all legal. Thanks for the help in advance. And most likely it will be another resident of Nebraska with proper CCW or purchase permit.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Selling pistol to private party
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:39:51 AM »
I usually ensure that the purchaser is of legal age to purchase, possesses a valid Drivers license, and CHP.

Some go beyond into Bills of Sale, etc. also keep in mind your location, certain unnamed cities have ridiculous registration requirements.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 12:31:02 PM »
I usually ensure that the purchaser is of legal age to purchase, possesses a valid Drivers license, and CHP.

In lieu of the CHP, some sellers will accept a Nebraska Firearm Purchase Permit, or whatever the hell it is called. 

I was wrong.  Read Allen's reply below.

Fly
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 03:09:13 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 01:59:17 PM »
The purchaser must by Law be a citizen of the state you are selling the gun in (the same state you are a citizen in, no cross state line sales).

Since this is a pistol the purchaser must have (per State Law, this applies to individuals as well as FFL's) either a Firearm (Handgun) Purchase Certificate, Concealed Handgun Permit or Police Credentials that are valid and not expired. 

There are communities in Nebraska besides Lincoln that require the seller to report the sale to the local police, Omaha is the only one with a registration requirement that places the duty to the purchaser; so check your local ordinances

For protection of yourself, require a government issued photo ID (great place to check that the purchaser is over 21 as required by law), as well as the Purchase Permit/CHP and record the expiration dates and Number of these items on some form of receipt that the person receiving the pistol signs.  For ID to be valid, it needs to have the purchasers current address, a CHP also must have the purchasers current address, the Firearm Purchase Permit does not have that requirement (some businesses have that as part of their policy, for their protection).

If you are uncertain that you are doing things correctly, or just want to make certain that everything is done right you can do the transfer through an FFL who would do the 4473 and make certain that all the ID's are handled correctly for the price of a transfer fee (depending upon dealer anywhere from $15-35).  If you or the purchaser covers that fee is something you can negotiate with the buyer.

Now is an important time to be careful with our private sales, the FBI has suspicions of a Terrorist Cell operating in Minnesota.  They have been following them all the way to Kansas City (and yes that include excursions into Nebraska) watching for possible attempts to purchase firearms and other materials.  So we are being watched as a community and need to be on our toes to make certain we are doing things the right way.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 02:02:05 PM by AAllen »

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 02:39:09 PM »
I think that in Lincoln you are still registering the weapon. Do believe that the responsibility is on the seller though it doesn't say so. Must be done on day of sale.

Link to form

http://cjis.lincoln.ne.gov/HTBIN/CGI.COM
D.R

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 02:42:13 PM »
I think that in Lincoln you are still registering the weapon. Do believe that the responsibility is on the seller though it doesn't say so. Must be done on day of sale.

Link to form

Correct, I may have been a little fuzzy on how I worded that.  What I meant to convey is there are other cities besides Lincoln that have the same requirement, we don't hear about them much but they are out there.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 03:07:40 PM »
Since this is a pistol the purchaser must have (per State Law, this applies to individuals as well as FFL's) either a Firearm (Handgun) Purchase Certificate, Concealed Handgun Permit or Police Credentials that are valid and not expired. 
Thanks for setting me straight on that Andy.  Good info.

Link to form

That link seems to be broken.  Here is a good one...

http://cjis.lincoln.ne.gov/~lpd/gunreg/
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 03:20:52 PM »
I find best meeting behind a shopping center and making the exchange using a brown paper sack .....

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 03:50:47 PM »
I guess I could add one other item to the list of acceptable Purchase Certifications that we often forget about: an FFL.  If the person is an FFL they do not need one of the other permits, but I would get the name and Number off the FFL as well as its expiration for my records and most FFL's don't just pass those around.

There are also times (not sales but loans or other times) that one of the permits is not needed.  You are going to be able to see the person the entire time they have the pistol, the person is your spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent, or if the pistol is an antique (I believe the model needs to be recognized as such by the ATF).  If you are selling it to a law enforcement agency then the permit is also not needed.

Offline Tstephens

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 05:13:59 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 06:25:56 PM »

Yea, umm, no

My FFL IS my purchase permit and its good in all 50 states, and the US territories.  In state out of state, any city in the US or one of its territories.

Other than that, the rest of this original reply was on point

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 08:54:48 PM »
Yea, umm, no

My FFL IS my purchase permit and its good in all 50 states, and the US territories.  In state out of state, any city in the US or one of its territories.

Other than that, the rest of this original reply was on point

Yes please read further down, and thanks for allowing me to keep a copy of your FFL when you purchase that handgun from me...

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 09:37:35 PM »
I had no idea that private sales in lincoln required paperwork, nice of the law to make this clear.
KD0LKT

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 09:52:41 PM »
Yes please read further down, and thanks for allowing me to keep a copy of your FFL when you purchase that handgun from me...

I would be happy to provide anybody with the first three and last five numbers along with the web address of ATF EZ check, and I will be keeping my copy after you take a look.

ATF actually discourages  the old system where the FFL provides a hard copy to any ol body ( non-licensee)  who they buy from, with the EZ check, there really isn't much reason too.