< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Fred Phelps DEAD  (Read 1094 times)

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
Fred Phelps DEAD
« on: March 20, 2014, 03:28:10 PM »
In case you haven't heard, Fred Phelps, founder of the Westboro Baptist Church and most hated man in America died today.  Finally.  Can't say I'll miss him.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/20/us/westboro-church-founder-dead/

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Fred Phelps DEAD
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 04:52:15 PM »
Will they be protesting his funeral ?  ::)
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 04:57:54 PM »
ROAD TRIP!
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 05:41:05 PM »
His daughter said there won't be a funeral because "we don't worship the dead"

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 08:24:07 PM »
Religion has a history of drawn and quartered, burned at the stake, and worse.  As far as a religious problem child's go, he is far down the list.   Don't be surprised to find out, whoever takes over from that cult, is not worse than the dead guy was.   Followers were mostly kin.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 11:14:26 AM »
Religion has a history of drawn and quartered, burned at the stake, and worse.  As far as a religious problem child's go, he is far down the list.   Don't be surprised to find out, whoever takes over from that cult, is not worse than the dead guy was.   Followers were mostly kin.

History has shown that ALL religious and political organizations have their crazies, or crazies who  pretend to be members ...  from Joseph Stalin to Fred Phelps.   Phelps annoyed a LOT of people, but, AFAIK, he didn't murder millions, or even one, not that he wouldn't if given the power, like Stalin.  His biggest "crime" was being politically incorrect.
I am often amazed at how intolerant the politically correct are.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:17:46 AM by GreyGeek »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 11:57:05 AM »
History has shown that ALL religious and political organizations have their crazies, or crazies who  pretend to be members ...  from Joseph Stalin to Fred Phelps.   Phelps annoyed a LOT of people, but, AFAIK, he didn't murder millions, or even one, not that he wouldn't if given the power, like Stalin.  His biggest "crime" was being politically incorrect.
I am often amazed at how intolerant the politically correct are.

I have to disagree.  While what he encouraged his flock to do may have been considered "politically incorrect", the bottom line is that it was disrespectful to the fallen soldier, and absolutely heartless when considering the family. This would be the equivalent of us going to the funeral of an ardent gun control proponent who was killed by someone with a gun and holding up signs proclaiming he deserved to die because he didn't support our cause.  I am an independent thinker, and I would disassociate myself with a group that did this so fast that it would cause the earth to slow ever so slightly. 

Another example of this is when the state carried out one of the last (maybe the last) death sentence.  People were out there having celebrations.  While I fully believe the animal being put down deserves what he is getting, they are still a human being and we should have some decorum and respect.  If not for that human being in the last few minutes of their life, then at least for their family.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »
Decorum and respect were not Phelps' way.  Obviously.  The only time I saw these wack-jobs I gave them the one fingered salute, and that’s as much as I care to do.  Otherwise they are beneath the levels I wish to sink to in my life.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 08:25:54 AM »
He may have forgotten who guards Heaven's Gates ;)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane