< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Univ. Neb. @ Omaha question  (Read 2848 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Univ. Neb. @ Omaha question
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 12:11:00 AM »
I have the same issue working for Lincoln Public Schools.  As a CHP holder, wouldn't be violating the law to have my gun stored properly before exiting the vehicle, but would be fired for doing so. 
I was thinking this too, but after some guy on campus a couple weeks ago had a firearm the university sent out an email and they somehow linked it to laws that would get criminal charges. I wish I still had that email to reference what statutes they quoted.

Offline Stockmwk

• NFOA Full Member
Univ. Neb. @ Omaha question
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 12:19:04 AM »
I might have mine

Edit: here you go

"Nebraska State Law (See Neb. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 28-1201( 8 ):

Nebraska law prohibits any person from “possessing a firearm in a school, on school grounds, in a school-owned vehicle, or at a school-sponsored activity or athletic event. “School” means a public, private, denominational, or parochial elementary, vocational, or secondary school, a private postsecondary career school, a community college, a public or private college, a junior college, or a university.” "
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:23:15 AM by Stockmwk »

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 06:42:02 AM »
Actual statute is 28-1204.  The first part of the wording is accurate, but here is the rest of that paragraph: "(f) firearms contained within a private vehicle operated by a nonstudent adult which are not loaded and (i) are encased or (ii) are in a locked firearm rack that is on a motor vehicle, or (g) a handgun carried as a concealed handgun by a valid holder of a permit issued under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act in a vehicle or on his or her person while riding in or on a vehicle into or onto any parking area, which is open to the public and used by a school if, prior to exiting the vehicle, the handgun is locked inside the glove box, trunk, or other compartment of the vehicle, a storage box securely attached to the vehicle, or, if the vehicle is a motorcycle, a hardened compartment securely attached to the motorcycle while the vehicle is in or on such parking area, except as prohibited by federal law. For purposes of this subsection, encased means enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no part of the firearm exposed."

Offline Stockmwk

• NFOA Full Member
Univ. Neb. @ Omaha question
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 07:20:12 AM »
Convenient that they left a majority of the statute out.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:14:13 AM by Stockmwk »

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 08:02:12 AM »
I'm late to this party and didn't get through all the posts, but while they they prevent you from protecting yourself on their property, they cannot prevent you from protecting yourself to and from their property, so having the gun locked in your vehicle while on campus is legal.
Otherwise everyday you were to go to school you could never carry, and the school's rules cannot be enforced on your on public roads etc
the school might throw a hissy fit over this and kick you out, but it isn't against the law

my office is a "gun free zone"...... every day my gun is in my car in the parking lot on the companies gun free zone property

Offline the_deacon

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 03:49:04 PM »
Just carry a bat when on campus son.

Call NSP or a lawyer and ask.  Everyone interprets thjngs differently.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 06:30:30 PM »
Even if you are neither a student nor an employee, there are ways the university's no guns at all policy can get you. They can ban you permanently from the campus. They would automatically reject a future application for enrollment or employment.

Even if the student who was caught with guns in his dorm room escapes criminal prosecution, I am sure he will lose his "good standing" with the university. That means that no other university will accept him as a student.