< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Eye protection...  (Read 1904 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Eye protection...
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »
what does everyone use for eye protection?  is there a particular reason why you choose what you choose?  do colored lenses matter?

for outdoors, i use my Oakley Gascan sunglasses with Black Iridium lenses.  the lenses are polarized and have a rating that exceeds ANSI Z87.1.

for indoors, i use whatever clear lenses i have in my range bag.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Eye protection...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:42:39 PM »
I find lightly tinted amber lenses can sometimes help outdoors when the light is funny - if there are shadows on the target, etc.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 12:43:44 PM »
I use clear or pale yellow ballistic grade glasses for most shooting other than clays.

I use different color depending on the light conditions for trap targets.

I avoid using dark lenses unless the angle of the sun requires it because the more light coming into the eye constricts the pupils for better focus
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 12:45:12 PM »
I have been using what ever least scratched up pair of safety glasses I have in my truck at the time. At work we have a tented set that I would like to try for shooting out doors. The tent it suppose to help with glare but I am not sure how it would do with direct sunlight. This weekend might be a good time to give them a try.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 01:21:29 PM »
i dont wear anything when shooting outside, when shooting indoors i wear whatever I can find that I can see through before leaving, or else I'll rent eyes at the range.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 01:34:49 PM »
i dont wear anything when shooting outside, when shooting indoors i wear whatever I can find that I can see through before leaving, or else I'll rent eyes at the range.

i have a few extra pairs of clear shooting/safety glasses.  do you want a pair?  then you won't be renting them.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 01:41:59 PM »
I'm with Rob... get some glasses I have a pile in my truck if you make it to Lincoln. Or the hit the hardware store. Buy a set save the money at the range.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 01:53:29 PM »
I have a set of amber-tint glasses I use. They seem to help with contrast on cloudy days.

Menards had these on sale for $19.99 ea. a few weeks back. I got a few sets for the wife and kids, they seem to be pretty nice for the money.

http://www.menards.com/main/see-more/maintenance-repair-operations/safety-security-equipment/personal-protective-equipment/hearing-protection/surefire-sonic-defender-value-pack/p-2200709-c-13850.htm

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 02:12:29 PM »
i actually have 3 or 4 pairs, i just don't know where they are.... if you saw my gun room you'd understand, its a mess!

maybe we could organize an NFOA clean Landon410's gun room day ;D
my "gun room" is my 80% finished basement, its houses all my camo, hunting bags, gun cases decoys etc, total mess.

wait, 80% finished, damnit now the BATFE is going to come after me!

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 02:35:53 PM »
i actually have the same set as Rick posted, plus a few other different glasses.  those Surefire glasses feel pretty good.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 03:47:51 PM »
I wear glasses so I have a pair of over-the-glasses amber shooting glasses.   I also keep a pair of standard amber shooting glasses for guests that don't wear glasses.   

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 03:49:13 PM »
For the bright days (whether overcast or sunny) I use my "Fishing Glasses" (Walmart carries them- brand depends on who bought the rights that year- I think it is Berkley or SpiderWire now)  They are polarized which helps with glare and the thick lens one are rated I think. 
As for clear lenses, I have some Winchester branded ones I found on clearance, otherwise I have a tote full of $.99 cent clear Harbor Freight safety glasses, or whatever ones end up in my car from work.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 07:01:03 PM »

I highly recommend wearing safety glasses outdoors when shooting. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 08:37:02 PM »
I use Radians Rad-Infinity glasses--mostly because they fit my head, the lens covers not only the front of my eyes but the sides as well with enough "above and below" coverage so that shrapnel won't angle up or down into my eyes, and they have the ANSI Z87.1+ rating for protection.

And they cost less than $5, which is a good thing because I destroy eyewear on a monthly basis.  [sigh]  It is ridiculous, but any glasses I use last at most about 3 months, with a normal life of about 1.5 months.  Which explains why I don't bother to buy expensive eye pro...I normally buy them in packs of 12, which gives me a bulk discount.

I use the ambers for outside (the color shift makes bright daylight survivable, and the contrast enhancement is useful) and clear glasses for indoors.  (And I use the blue mirrored ones for sunglasses.  :) )

Brand-wise, I don't see a whole lot of difference between most kinds until you get up to the $120+ range...which I'm not going to pay.  So pretty much any brand is good as long as you get good eye coverage, and the lenses stay un-fogged.

As for the color/tint.....like I said, I like the ambers. (Even though they don't look as cool as mirrored lenses.)  Most light gets transmitted through (and while I like polarized for sunglasses, I WANT most of the light to be transmitted for shooting glasses so I don't use polarized lenses), the color shift for some reason makes even bright days not bad for me outdoors, and the increase in contrast is helpful, and works great along with a fiber optic on the front sight.

A useful commentary on relative tints in general:  http://blog.safetyglassesusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Shooting-Lens-Tints.jpg

I note that I always wear eye pro when shooting.  (And reloading.)  I like my eyes, I prefer to keep them in working order.

(I also wear my eye pro when dryfiring my competition gun, but that isn't because I'm worried I'll shoot my eye out, but instead because I want to get used to the sight picture/tint I'm going to have in the middle of a competition.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 09:27:12 PM »
I just wear my prescription glasses, and yes, they are safety glasses

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 10:16:52 PM »