< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Kids and Guns  (Read 954 times)

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
Kids and Guns
« on: April 04, 2014, 09:01:17 AM »
having had my first child this winter I'm excited about all the things that go with that.
Obviously I like guns, I own more than 1 or 2 and enjoy shooting.

My father wasn't into guns so I wasn't exposed to them as a kid, I really didn't know anything other than when I got shot in the side of the head by my friends pellet gun that shot those little metal darts that it hurt really bad!

I came to enjoy them later in life through friends inlaws etc. bought my first gun a 22 in 2002 to go shoot racoons with friends. still have that remington 597, its a very accurate gun.

I want to expose my son the them early, make the rules clearly known, but allow him to respect and enjoy them with healthly fear but the ability to handle them confidently and safely.

I understand every kid is different, and I'm jumping the gun by a couple years, but about what age did you guys really start to expose your kids, let them go shooting with you, clean guns, and even shoot?

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Kids and Guns
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 09:24:15 AM »
Every kid is different with regards to maturity level, size, personality.  You will have to determine the "right" time to start them shooting. 

Now that that is out of the way;... I started my boys at the same time (ages 4 & 9).  Coincidentally, they were about the same maturity level........ 

Now, at 14 & 19 I can pretty much just turn them loose while shooting and have confidence that they will not be a bad example.  I/we/they got some compliments from some friends & gun enthusiasts when they were like 8 & 13 about how well behaved they both were on the range, both with their manners and gun manners. 

My only bad experience came from a Taurus PT-22 that I thought would be perfect for them to learn on.  It was not.  It was a huge disappointment.  Get a small rifle.  The trigger on that pistol was way too loooooong, heavy, and too much for little kids. 

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »
I couldn't have been any older than 5 when my mother put down a blanket in our yard out in the country in rural Maine. She lay beside me and held up the bolt action Springfield .22 rifle as she explained the sights to me. I sighted and squeezed the trigger. We shot at empty 2 gallon oil cans there. That started my love of guns. My Dad gave me that rifle when I was 13 and I still have it.
WØCHF

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 10:03:34 AM »
I started my son with an Airsoft pistol at about age 4.  After he mastered safe handling of the Airsoft pistol, we moved to a BB gun at around age five and a half.  By age six or so he was shooting a high-powered pellet gun.  I think it was his eighth birthday that we go him his own .22.

IMO, Airsoft is a relatively realistic and safe way to train kids to handle guns safely and learn the basics of a solid shooting foundation.

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 11:02:26 AM »
Nice, we had our first in Nov.  I've been wondering the same thing.

Safety, Introduction, Interest.

First things first, got to get my wife to the range.  Why have 1 addiction, where there can be 3?

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 12:32:47 PM »
I like what someone else said here that the younger sibling was at the same level of maturity as the older sibling.  :D  That's our situation too.  Little brother just seems to pick up things at the same time as older brother.

Our kids started with BB guns as Tiger Cubs in scouts, so around six years old.  Then .22 single-shot rifles followed just a year or two after that, but only in a controlled, "range" environment at first, plinking at cans and targets.

Two recommendations I'll make are:

- You can't go wrong picking up a copy of Massad Ayoob's pamphlet "gun proof your children".  It's an oldie but a goodie.  http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Proof-Children-Massad-Ayoobs-Handgun/dp/0936279052  A pdf version may be floating around online.  A lot of it is common sense but it's really worth reading.  I like his perspective that you don't simply "gun-proof" your home or firearm collection through safes and locks.  Rather you gun-proof your kids both by exposure to safety rules and also exposure to shooting.  The goal is for guns to become just a normal part of life which -- like kitchen cutlery or household chemicals -- can be useful when used by the right person at the right time, and dangerous when misused.  The goal is to have guns NOT become some mysterious, forbidden fruit that they're tempted to play with when nobody's looking. 

- I simply can't say enough good things about Savage's "Rascal" .22 single-shot.  This "Gunblast" review is right on the mark:  http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-Rascal.htm   You can pick these up with a plastic stock for around $150, which is nothing compared to the cost of the .22 ammo you're going to burn through with it.   ;D
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 09:42:20 PM »
Same age you teach the child not to touch the stove or put forks in electrical outlets would be a good age to start teaching safety.  My daughter got her first gun at 3. Must supervise, but do not pound it into them, let them shoot a bit and develop other interests.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Kodiak

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 01:37:50 PM »
I know 88tac has a kids course.  Planning to put my girlfriends 10 year old son through it.  Unfortunately, her 13 years old daughter is too old for that one.  Now I would prefer doing it at a younger age, but you work with what you got.