< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: friend had motorcycle accident while carrying, police found gun  (Read 1405 times)

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
ok, so there is more to the story.
Young married guy had motorcycle listed on craigslist, 2 guys come over at night to look at the bike, my buddies wife tells him maybe he should take a gun just to be safe.
While looking at the bike they decide it would be better to get the bike to a place with better lighting and the ability to ride it.
My friend rides the bike to a large parking lot and the 2 guys follow, the reasonable thing to do while riding a bike that isn't licensed, with no insurance and when the rider has no motorcycle operating permit is to go REALLY FAST, now remember he has a concealed handgun on his person.

In this large parking lot there is a median, but he didn't see it, hit it going north of 45mph and flies across the parking lot.
These two guys freaked out called 911, cops and ambulance show up, they find the gun (friend has no CCW)

the cops let it go, becaues of the situation, friend once he woke up while laying on the parking lot explained these guys showed up at night, etc, and cops agreed he had a resonable concern for his safety and issued no tickets of any kind for the gun

while this is a stupid stupid sad story, I'm glad to hear the police were reasonable.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: friend had motorcycle accident while carrying, police found gun
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:52:26 AM »
Good to here the "Reasonable Person Defense" clause still holds out (at least this instance)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »
Other than the part where your buddy wiped out, that is actually a good story.

I'm surprised and happy to hear it.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 04:58:31 PM »
Impressed, but I'd be willing to venture this is more the exception than the rule :(
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 05:51:01 PM »
Where did this happen? I would be surprised if it were Omaha or Lincoln.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »
West Omaha

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 01:02:34 AM »
while this is a stupid stupid sad story, I'm glad to hear the police were reasonable.

And if the police did not exercise discretion, and enforced the law, the majority here would be bashing OPD.  Unregistered bike, no insurance, no motorcycle license, AND no CHP...real smart.  I guess he couldn't tell these guys to come look at the bike the next day in the daytime, and he HAD to go show the bike that night.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 08:01:02 AM »
he has a legal right to carry a firearm without a ccw as he had a reasonable concern for his safety, so they DID enforce the law correctly, which is the point of the post, this is why we are not bashing OPD

oh he got tickets for the bike related stuff, so those laws were enforced correctly as well

Offline Benjamin.henryii

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 06:39:41 AM »
I keep my gun in a black hawk locking holster when I ride. I wrecked my bike in February after 5 years, my mag was a bit shaved up, the holster took some damage, and my hip had a gash from where the holster cut into my skin. However when I stopped doing a no handed cartwheel  my firearm was still at my side. After 5 years I wrecked because my passenger fainted while riding on the back of my motorcycle and I wrecked trying to save her. Out of anyway I might have wrecked I did not see that one coming.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 07:18:59 AM »
Glad to see the situation turned out well. Kudos to OPD for respecting the 2nd Amendment!