< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Minnesota Reciprocity  (Read 1086 times)

Offline tguil

• Forum Member
Minnesota Reciprocity
« on: April 07, 2014, 06:40:07 PM »
Any chance of Minnesota ever honoring our Nebraska Permit?  We've honored theirs for a long time.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:56:32 PM by tguil »

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Minnesota Reciprocity
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
Minnesota does a review every July to determine what changes will happen with reciprocity. I've spoken to them a couple years in a row to no avail. Because I go there so often for work (usually by car) I got a non-resident Utah permit that they do honor.

Offline tguil

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:56:13 PM »
Right now I'm doing the same thing.  Probably the only state that I'll ever need the Utah permit for.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 01:24:45 PM »
Minnesota has a antigunner in charge of their review so until there is some changes in who is running the state and review I doubt they will add Nebraska.  There reasoning is that they have stricter than Federal Law on who may own or posses a firearm (specifically those with mental disabilities if my memory is correct) and Nebraska is only in compliance with federal law.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:14:07 PM »
I researched it a couple of years ago, and IIRC it's even more esoteric than that. Nebraska's standard for those adjudicated mentally incompetent was the same as Minnesota, but we don't have an adequate reporting system for the state to keep an accurate list. Or, at least, that was the best they could come up with to keep from giving us reciprocity.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 08:44:21 PM »
that was the best they could come up with to keep from giving us reciprocity.

So....they accept Utah permits that are routinely added to various state CHP/CCW classes to circumvent the obstacle. (sigh)