< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: GOP gun fight: Senate hopeful Osborn comes out firing, rivals not so much  (Read 1301 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
http://watchdog.org/137407/gop-gun-fight-senate-hopeful-osborn-comes-firing-rivals-much/

Joe Jordan | Nebraska Watchdog

In a race where key policy differences between the four GOP Senate hopefuls are hard to come by, a Nebraska Watchdog probe has triggered some daylight.

As the candidates prepare for Wednesday’s (tonight’s) third and final debate, specific questions regarding the 2nd Amendment and a recent weapons case find Shane Osborn pushing for fewer gun controls while his three rivals are standing pat or just not answering.

At issue is the March arrest of 20-year-old Ned McNally, a student at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

McNally is charged with a felony, facing up to five years in prison and a $10 thousand fine, accused of having several weapons and dozens of rounds of ammunition in his campus dorm room.

He’s also apparently in violation of UNO policy which prohibits “the possession of deadly weapons” on university property.

Nebraska Watchdog has asked all four Senate candidates, all of whom profess to be staunch defenders of the right to bear arms, about the law and UNO’s gun restrictions.

Osborn came out firing.

“The student in question and all students for that matter should be able to lawfully store firearms and ammunition in their dorms rooms,” said Osborn. He then added “these types of bans only punish law abiding citizens.”

Bart McLeay tells Nebraska Watchdog he’s OK with the policy, at least for now, while Sid Dinsdale and Ben Sasse are mum.

~ ~ Read more at link ~ ~
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah .....  And how pray tell will a US Senator change state law ???  (this question not directed at you Rick)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
A US Senator may not be able to change state law but right now with people struggling to find differences between the top candidates Osborn is making a stand.  He needs to do this to combat the endorsements (and money) Sasse has drawn, people such as the GOA has endorsed him and many question why.  They never interview or questioned the candidates but went along with what someone else did or told them to do.

I am not endorsing or showing support for any individual candidate, just making commentary on how the system has been operating.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
I see it as more of an indication of how he may vote on federal legislation than what he would do about this kid's case. It's a very good thing, and I'm not necessarily a Shane supporter.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
I admire Osborn's willingness to take a stand.
Not commenting about an issue because it is a state/local matter, is a cop out to me.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
So far I was inclined to vote for Ben Sasse, but this makes me wonder if I should vote for Shane Osborn. What do we know about Ben Sasse and his view on guns?

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
Taken from Sasse's website on "ISSUES": 2nd Amendment
===============

The Second Amendment affirms the rights of Americans to protect their families and property. This right pre-dates Government and is inviolable. Ben will fight to protect this and our other most basic freedoms.

The Second Amendment unambiguously states that citizens have a fundamental right to "keep and bear arms" and that this right "shall not be infringed.”

As an integral part of our Constitution and American heritage, law-abiding citizens have the right to keep and bear arms without interference from Government.

As horrific as some of our recent national tragedies have been, they are not the fault of responsible gun owners. None of the new policies being pushed by President Obama would have prevented them from happening. Stricter gun legislation will not deter criminals determined to break the law.

Furthermore, President Obama does not have the authority to sign Executive orders and thus circumvent the Constitutional process necessary to change the Second Amendment.

Stand with Sasse on Second Amendment

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
i wish i had the link to post, but did you guys see the story of the guy from Iowa thats running who stated that if you try to break into his house or harm him girls he'll take his glock and shoot your balls off?
i laughed pretty hard when i read it.

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
I won't vote for SO. Regardless of what he says, when the going gets tough he'll fly to the enemy camp to save his butt.

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
I don't know if Sid Dinsdale has a written gun policy, but do know he is pro-2a and a proud gun owner.  The mor I earn of them all the stronger I keep coming back to Dinsdale. 

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member