< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Constitutional Convention?  (Read 648 times)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
Constitutional Convention?
« on: April 13, 2014, 06:21:42 PM »
http://freepatriot.org/2014/04/10/second-amendment-soon-eliminated-u-s-constitution/

The Free Patriot tweeted this a while ago.  I was sitting here scrolling and it caught my eye, not sure how much water it holds, but im bored so i posted.

Could The Second Amendment Soon Be Eliminated From The U.S. Constitution?

Michigan was the 34th state to vote in favor of a Constitutional Convention, which satisfies a rule stating the Constitution can be amended if two-thirds of state legislatures approve the measure. This means the entire U.S. Constitution could be up for review.

Congress “shall call a convention for proposing amendments” if the two-thirds requirement is met according to Article V of the Constitution. Which this was met approximately two weeks ago when Michigan lawmakers endorsed the movement.

Duncan Hunter, the California Republican Representative, called for a Constitutional Convention after the vote.

Hunter wrote “Based on several reports the opinion, Michigan might be the 34th state to issue such a call and therefore presents the constitutionally-required number of states to begin the process of achieving a balanced budget amendment” according to InfoWars.com.

This allows Congress to amend the Constitution to institute fiscal conservatism, which many welcome this change. However, many also fear that this could also lead to changes to our fundamental rights, such as the right to bear arms and freedom of speech.

Even former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens recently wanted to “improve” the Constitution by changing the second amendment. He said that the right to bear arms should only apply to those in a militia and not all the citizens of the United States.

However, the ENTIRE U.S. Constitution is up for review and can be changed and altered now that the two-thirds requirement has been fulfilled. So it is to be seen what changes are to be made to the U.S. Constitution.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Constitutional Convention?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 07:21:37 PM »
this is not a good thing. only bright light I can see Is that they will not agree on anything
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 07:21:43 PM »
I understand that some of the 34 states have since rescinded their original votes. This has been going on for many years. Some votes go back to the 90's.

My gut feeling is that this can not be a good thing if it truly happens.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline Sandhillian

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 03:20:06 PM »
For those of you interested in this topic, I would suggest reading Mark Levin's "The Liberty Amendments."  I just started reading the book, and the few suggested amendments I have read about seem to be a good solution to many of the problems this country is facing.

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:43:35 PM »
I bought that in hard cover after reading Ameritopia.  Not much of a reader, however i do read on kindle on my iphone at select times during a day.

Thought id read Liberty Amendments in the hospital when we had our baby, but dont just sit and read as much.

Going to buy it on kindle, after i finish my current book, hopefully that is.