< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: how to proceed?_Contacting Elected Officials  (Read 758 times)

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
how to proceed?_Contacting Elected Officials
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:57:38 AM »
Hello,  I received a response to an online message that I sent that left me feeling somewhat satisfied, yet wanting more answers & input at the same time...

I sent a respectful message to Omaha mayor Jean Stothert basically asking her if she has ever Or would consider reviewing Omaha's registration requirements &/Or other firearms regulations that go above the state laws.

He response was essentially "we are reviewing Omaha's permits & registration laws".

Awesome....well sort of!

I am not quite sure how to respond...I want to say thank you but I'm not satisfied with 'just letting them "review it"'...
I want to ask her how can a citizen become involved? How can the NFOA be involved in the discussion? Etc....

Although I occasionally reference in other emails(not this one yet) that I'm a member of the NFOA, I obviously Do Not portray myself as a spokesman for our organization.. :D

I just received her response this morning & I was just looking for some feedback as to your opinions on the most effective way to respond, to at least 'continue the dialogue'?

...for all I know someone from the NFOA may already be in contact with her office about this?

If not, who would be the best person to refer future info & leads to? How far should I go as a member with my inquiries?

My first thought after receiving her response was.....I should contact some local news reporters & attempt to get them to report on the issue....of course if that happened we would need to be a part of the story so it didn't get spun the wrong way. 

Any input or suggestions are appreciated.....Justin

The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: how to proceed?_Contacting Elected Officials
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 09:08:51 AM »
Justin. 
Firstly, if you didn't already know, Mayor Stothert is a huge NFOA supporter and vice versa.  I would say if SHE says they are looking into it, then I believe they are.  (She is also a CHP holder- see the quote in my signature line)

A couple years back when the NFOA and SAF filed a lawsuit against the City of Omaha over registration, Jean (while still on the City council) was the only one that spoke up during the hearing and said "We need to figure out how to get this in line with state and federal laws. Or just scrap the whole thing."  (or something to that effect.)

I do believe Rod had been in contact and there was something about the NFOA being involved with some task force of hers- but we haven't spoke of it lately.  I'll have to check into that again.

As far as a member speaking for the NFOA- from my experience you must either be a board member and/or authorized by the board either directly or thru a committee. 

You are welcome to email or PM Rod or myself on such issues/ information and see where can go with it.

Thanx for the heads up.

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane