< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Bloomberg Plans a $50 Million Challenge to the N.R.A.  (Read 1615 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Bloomberg Plans a $50 Million Challenge to the N.R.A.
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:55:25 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/16/us/bloomberg-plans-a-50-million-challenge-to-the-nra.html?rref=politics&module=Ribbon&version=origin&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Politics&pgtype=article

Michael R. Bloomberg, making his first major political investment since leaving office, plans to spend $50 million this year building a nationwide grass-roots network to motivate voters who feel strongly about curbing gun violence, an organization he hopes can eventually outmuscle the National Rifle Association.

Mr. Bloomberg, the former mayor of New York, said gun control advocates need to learn from the N.R.A. and punish those politicians who fail to support their agenda — even Democrats whose positions otherwise align with his own.

“They say, ‘We don’t care. We’re going to go after you,’ ” he said of the N.R.A. “ ‘If you don’t vote with us we’re going to go after your kids and your grandkids and your great-grandkids. And we’re never going to stop.’ ”

He added: “We’ve got to make them afraid of us.”

The considerable advantages that gun rights advocates enjoy — in intensity, organization and political clout — will not be easy to overcome. Indeed, Mr. Bloomberg has already spent millions of dollars trying to persuade members of Congress to support enhanced background check laws with virtually nothing to show for it.

What is more, for many gun owners, the issue is a deeply personal one that energizes them politically, said Larry Pratt, executive director of Gun Owners of America, who dismissed the mayor’s plans.

“He’s got the money to waste,” Mr. Pratt said. “So I guess he’s free to do so. But frankly, I think he’s going to find out why his side keeps losing.”

The N.R.A. had no comment.

~ ~ See more at link ~ ~
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Bloomberg Plans a $50 Million Challenge to the N.R.A.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:17:58 AM »
I think spending $50 million isn't creating a grass roots movement, its buying one

although the libs were wrong, wasn't it was they said the tea party did, a fake grass roots movement?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:44:04 AM »
I think spending $50 million isn't creating a grass roots movement, its buying one

although the libs were wrong, wasn't it was they said the tea party did, a fake grass roots movement?

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 08:51:17 AM »
sounds like a great way to waste $50 million.....
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:03:55 AM »
Talk about having a hardon for doing nothing but pissing off ½ the country, for no other reason than pissing off ½ the country.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 09:43:29 AM »
Bloomberg- the NRA's best fund raiser!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline RedBird

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 10:55:51 AM »
Bloomberg threw a large amount of money at Mayors Against Illegal Guns too. That didn't work out very well either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 12:56:07 PM »
Bloomberg threw a large amount of money at Mayors Against Illegal Guns too. That didn't work out very well either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to mention a TON of money into the Colorado recalls, and he got spanked there.

You can buy a lot in the realm of politics, but you can't buy grassroots enthusiasm.  Other than a small core of crazies, left-leaning voters just don't get excited about gun control.  It's something they're in favor of, but not something they're typically passionate about.  It's more of a tag along issue.

That's not to say there's nothing to worry about.  Bloomberg is a serious threat to our freedom.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 01:09:14 PM »
a democrats "grass roots movement" is buying homeless people food to get them on a bus to take them somewhere to protest and or vote multiple times

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 02:17:10 PM »
If I was more mischievous I would figure out a way to "help" him start that grassroots initiative and spend some of that $50 Million.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 03:05:35 PM »
 I get mail from all the anti gun groups, It costs them to send it to me, and I put a piece of steel in the return envelope, so they pay for that to
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 04:01:32 PM »
If I was more mischievous I would figure out a way to "help" him start that grassroots initiative and spend some of that $50 Million.
I think you're plenty mischievous for that ;-)

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 08:28:45 PM »
He added: “We’ve got to make them afraid of us.”

I'm guessing they shouldn't have banned the Big Gulp. It would have been a helluva lot more intimidating than bottled water.

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 09:22:55 PM »

YES!!  They advocate "teaching gun safety and responsibility"(as they see it), so what better way to do this than to take their money and use it to organize a 3-gun competition or an Appleseed-type rifle instruction camp.  Those both seem perfect examples of practical gun safety being exercised.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 08:21:39 AM »
YES!!  They advocate "teaching gun safety and responsibility"(as they see it), so what better way to do this than to take their money and use it to organize a 3-gun competition or an Appleseed-type rifle instruction camp.  Those both seem perfect examples of practical gun safety being exercised.

Yup, we're thinking along the same lines.  Of course, it's all in how your write the grant request. ;)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 10:26:11 AM »
I'm not sure how other members feel, but I surely don't want ANY of Bloomberg's money associated in ANY WAY with the NFOA.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.