< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Tactical Pellet Rifle?  (Read 2764 times)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Tactical Pellet Rifle?
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 07:20:53 PM »
 be careful what you do with the bodies in the city, my dads neighbor got in trouble for putting a bunny he shot in the trash can,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 10:24:33 AM »
Well, i figured i'd go ahead and post a pic, this is what it looked like out of the box, and installing the scope.

Seems well built, is heavy.  Obviously you can see, it's pretty cool.

That rabbit has yet to show it's ugly face.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 02:48:12 PM »

Here wabbit!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 05:06:09 PM »
...what is the best way to prepare them? ...Edit: they're wild rabbits.

Tularemia is an illness caused by a bacteria, Francisella tularensis, which can affect both animals and humans.  It is also called Rabbit Fever.

Avoid contact with the blood.  It's best to wear plastic gloves when cleaning the wild rabbit.    When I was a kid we'd coat our hands in Vaseline before we skinned the rabbits.   I looked for lesions on the liver.  If I found the liver had lesions I'd toss the rabbit.  Rabbit fever, if contracted in the lungs, can be fatal.  If it has lesions and you keep the meat be sure to cook it well, as if it were pork.
http://voices.yahoo.com/rabbit-fever-humans-contract-disease-tularemia-1628607.html

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 05:10:31 PM »
Feinwerkbau 300s works for me.
KD0LKT

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 04:10:12 PM »
I have a Gamo Big Cat 1200, .177 cal.  Hadn't shot it for quite awhile so I took it out to the range awhile back, and at 25 yards the hits were all over a 9" pie plate.  So I didn't know whether to contact Gamo about sending it back or just throw it away and buy a new one, since I see a 1000 fps Ruger and Crossman at Walmart for around $100. 

Then I decided to see if maybe the scope was the problem, since pellet guns are likely to come with cheap scopes.  So I put on an old 4x Leupold I didn't have anything else to do with and now the pellet gun I about threw away is shooting tight enough groups that no rabbit should be able to escape its wrath. 

I mention this because if a person wants a pellet gun for what might be long term survival if the grocery stores ever shut down, he might think about putting a better scope on it.  Mine came without iron sights, as I assume most probably do.  But it might be worth looking into finding one with them, if long term survival is the goal.

A few questions:

It's my understanding that shooting even a pellet or BB gun in town is illegal; is that correct?

Is there ever any reason to clean the bore or any part of a pellet rifle?  Do the barrels get leaded?  Does anything get lubed? 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 04:51:51 PM »
It's my understanding that shooting even a pellet or BB gun in town is illegal; is that correct?

I assume we are talking about Lincoln, and I think the answer is "it depends."

Generally speaking, discharge of firearms is prohibited within Lincoln, unless it falls within one of the exceptions set out in the relevant ordinance. Your Gamo is not a firearm under this ordinance because it is not a pistol, rifle, or shotgun. It is, however, a weapon that can propel a leaden or dangerous projectile, and you are prohibited by city ordinance from firing or discharging it "for the purpose of throwing or projecting missiles of any kind by any means whatsoever in such a manner as to endanger the safety of persons or property."

According to my reading of the exceptions to the prohibition on the discharge of firearms and other projectile weapons in Lincoln, shooting inside an enclosure in a manner such that the projectile never crosses an area outside that enclosure, is within the exceptions and therefore is not prohibited, assuming that you do not cause damage to persons or property. (See Lincoln Municipal Code 9.36.080 Exemptions. "The provisions of Sections 9.36.010 and 9.36.050 shall not apply to ... (c) a private building within which the instrument is fired, discharged, or operated in such a manner as to prevent the missile projected from traversing in the space outside of the private building")

In reliance on this exception, I hear that some wild-eyed firearms enthusiasts may even have basement ranges set up in their homes! ;)

Here is the PDF of the relevant portions of Lincoln's Municipal Code: http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/attorn/lmc/ti09/ch936.pdf