< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gun Range  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Critter

• NFOA Full Member
Gun Range
« on: March 29, 2014, 12:28:32 PM »
Anybody here have any gun range building experience???

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
Re: Gun Range
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:27:28 PM »
I have designed and built hundreds of ranges....................in my head   :laugh:

Having never swung a hammer on one, so to speak, I am of no help...

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 02:27:37 PM »
indoor or outdoor? ive done a lot of dirt moving
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 10:25:47 PM »
Critter:

The basic reference book for gun range construction is the NRA Range Source Book.

It's in a ring binder about three (3) inches thick.   Full of information about rifle, pistol, shotgun, and archery ranges.   Indoor and outdoor.   Also comes on a CD-ROM.

Architectural and civil engineering drawings  [by C. Vargas & Associates Consulting Engineers; Jacksonville, Florida].

Contains more than most people want to know about range construction.

It's the basic reference book used by the NRA Range Technical Team Advisory group.

sfg
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:30:08 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Critter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 12:39:03 PM »
It will be an outdoor range.  I have a few acres between Omaha and Lincoln and was just looking for any ideas.  I actually have that NRA Range Source book but I haven't opened it yet.  I thought it might be fun to see if anyone had some "hands on" experience or ideas first. 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 02:28:24 PM »
It will be an outdoor range.

Well, then you'll want the firing line(s) to face north, if at all possible.   For obvious reasons.

Section II (the grey tabs) in the Range Source Book covers outdoor ranges.

Please note that the position of the NRA Range Technical Team Advisory group is that each range is an individual situation with specific, unique locational issues.   The Source Book will serve as you guide, but it is not a standard which must be followed by all ranges.

The SB has a zillion excellent ideas.   Section IV (red tabs) contains the architectural and civil engineering drawings.

A Google Map view will tell you what's downrange for the next few miles.

I thought it might be fun to see if anyone had some "hands on" experience or ideas first. 

Responses to that issue will pretty much all depend on your intended usage for the range.

Best of success to you in your planning.   Here's hoping you have 2-300 yards of downslope so that you can shoot over the creek and into the hillside.

sfg
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:35:36 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 03:08:38 PM »
SFG.... curious....why have the "line" facing North?  Won't the opposing wind affect the coefficient of the radial diameter of the tangential terminal velocity of the projectile?  Won't the bullet travel faster if the "line" is facing South (i.e. South is downhill you realize.... .look at a map) ?

This boys and girls is how you torture your favorite physics professor buddy.....    ;D

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
why have the "line" facing North?

"I know - I know...!!!"   But I'll let SFG answer first ....

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 05:46:52 PM »
South is downhill you realize

Bullit, up 'til now, if you'da said it, I'da took it to the bank and opened an account with it.

Now, think about downhill:   If the Earth lost its gravitational field, which way you would fall..........

Straight UP!

Up is downhill.  Straight up.

Next Issue:
Who wants the sun in his eyes when shooting??
Anyone who does can shoot trap w/me at Papillion Gun Club.
Faces straight South.

sfg

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 06:14:37 PM »
Stupid Issac Newton....

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 06:18:06 PM »
Stupid Issac Newton....

You got That One Right!!

Took Albert Einstein to expose him for wot he wuz.

sfg

Offline Critter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 11:55:14 AM »
SemperFiGuy, how did you know I had a creek...lol.  Unfortunately I have to either shoot south or southeast.  Hwy 66 is to the North of me and even with a huge berm I would still be too nervous to shoot that direction.  The range will be for anything and everything, sight in, training, and maybe even a little competition shooting.  We will also be setting up a place to trap shoot.  Anybody need a place to shoot?   

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »
Anybody need a place to shoot?   

Who doesn't?!?

Whats the catch?? my first born? Hard Labor? :laugh:

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 01:15:39 PM »
Anybody need a place to shoot? 

tstuart34 beat me to the proper response. 

Regarding your range layout:   
Well, you'll just have to look at the way your land lays, decide which range(s) to put in, size the ranges, and then orient them on the property best as you can to control projectile impact and containment.   Meanwhile keeping the grading costs under reasonable control.

And----Let's hope you don't have any neighbors within sound range.

Best of success to you in this excellent endeavor.

You are going to have more new friends than a guy with a new boat.

sfg

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 04:06:29 PM »
No don't put it north and south (east), the rotation of the earth will affect how your bullet lands (very tongue in cheek, even though there is the (pardon the spelling) the corolis affect.

Now on a serious note, before you let others shoot (especially if there is any fees involved) make sure you check with the zoning rules.  Land zoned agricultural have different rules than mixed zoning.  Some zoning codes don't allow for a shooting range at all.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 04:21:13 PM »
What I've gotten done so far at my place, it's about 115 yards from one end to the other.
I plan on adding at least a few more feet of height to my berms.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:23:37 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Critter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »
That looks great Rick, looks like you have a great start.  I will have to look into the zoning, I really have no idea about that.  The neighbors around here seem to shoot a bit so I'm hoping they don't mind the .338 Lapua or the Tanerite going off, as well as everything else.  This probably falls under agricultural, as I have a local farmer put up the hay here.  As for the grading costs, I have my own equipment so outside of the time and fuel, I’m good to go.  Thanks for all the help guys!

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »
not sure if you need some backstop material or not but Home Depot had those rounded off 4x4's 8 feet long and treated for $00.99
there aren't big like railload ties, but they'll hold dirt in place

I almost just bought 50 of them even though I have no need, it was hard to pass those up.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 03:56:10 PM »
I would suggest a fire extinguisher when using exploding targets. Every time i used them, i got a fire. For that reason, they have lost all appeal to me.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 10:58:56 PM »
If it's a hay field with a random giant berm on one end with some trees surrounding it then I would still consider it a hay field. If any zoning yahoo asks what it is just say, "a pile of dirt with trees around it"... you know, cuz that's what it actually is... nvr mind that timber wall with targets hung up on it :)

I have a friend who's parents used to have some land just outside of Ashland with a range on it. They were great folks! They let her and her friends, myself included,  have an entire day at the range... thousands of rounds later and spanning guns from 1903 to the present, .22 to 50 BMG later we had a fish fry and deer burgers. It was one of the best days I've ever had!

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.