< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Off to Doniphan for the State Trapshooting Meet  (Read 782 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Off to Doniphan for the State Trapshooting Meet
« on: April 30, 2014, 07:22:13 AM »
Slipping quietly out the door, headed west from Omaha in a few minutes.

Gonna meet Altheman2 along the way at York to pick up some Downrange wads he offered here on the Forum.

If you also attend the trap meet and see a medium-height, greying fellow with a slightly perplexed expression wearing an SKB hat w/blaze orange earplugs dangling from the back, tap sfg on the shoulder and say, "Howdy".

sfg
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:23:25 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Ronbo73

• Forum Member
Re: Off to Doniphan for the State Trapshooting Meet
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:15:43 PM »
I am heading that way tomorrow.  My son shoots at 3:25 Thursday....  It sounds like its a great time.  I am excited to go see it..

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:22:46 PM »
Back From Doniphan Now

Well, the part I saw was quite a Hoo-Rah.
   Dozens and scores of All Young High School Shooters, Jr & Sr High.   Both lads and lasses.   And their families.   And dogs.

Arrived Wednesday afternoon as advance scout for Midwest Stockmakers, which set up two trailers.   On the way met Altheman2 at York to pick up some Downrange 12ga wads.   (Every deal w/Al has been A-1.   'Cause he's an A-1 Guy.)

Twenty-four (24) trap fields at Doniphan.   Today at 9am they played the national anthem to kick things off.   Everyone stood at respectful attention, including HS shooters.  (Forgot the whole time I was wearing my SKB hat.)   Then 120 shotguns started banging it out at the clays.

Wind blowing like crazy.
   Blew like crazy the whole time.  Really tough for the Young Shooters.   Seemed like a base of 60mph w/gusts to 80, but was of course less than that.  Everyone said, "Just like last year".   Why don't they schedule for early June???

Vendors:  Guns Unlimited, Cabelas, Caesar Guerini, Ear Gems, Downrange, SKB, MEC Loaders, etc.   Tents and trailers whipping in the wind.   Usual food vendors.  Ice cream vendor not doing well.   One vendor was selling powder that had obviously been tucked away in storage for a while.   Prices were about 20% over Good Ol' Days prices.  (Not knocking here; nobody was forced to buy powder.   But everybody was doing so.   Guy's empty trailer will blow all over the road on the way back home.)

Saw kozball while there.   His son's team was shooting the match.

Skipped the Grand Island Gun Show at the Fairgrounds but did go on the Hornady Manufacturing Plant tour.   No appointment; just trusted to luck as a walk-in.   Turned out, was the only person on the tour.   Michelle, the tour lady, was super.   Spent about a half-hour, which was enough.   Folks, they are working hard to get bullets and cartridges out to you.  If you get a chance, be sure to visit the basement test room with the 200 yard shooting tunnel.   I'm out of school now for the summer; gonna apply there for a summer internship.

Back home now.   Sleep in own bed tonight, instead of an aluminum trailer shaking in the wind.   But it was shure sheer fun.

End of Trip Report.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:48:22 PM »
Good seeing you there SFG.

These kids just impress the heck out of me. When I left at 4, there was a 98, 97 and another dozen in the 90's. And these are Juniors.

Quite an event for a first timer.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan