< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: ENPS - Man Vs Man Steel Competition - May 18, 2014 @ ENGC (Louisville, NE)  (Read 2933 times)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Eastern Nebraska Practical Shooters is again hosting the annual Man Vs Man Steel Competition on May 18th! This match is open to the public and will be held at Eastern Nebraska Gun Club (Directions) near Louisville.

Online Pre-Registration: https://clubs.practiscore.com/enps-man-vs-man-steel-match/register

Please pre-register if possible! It gives us a much better idea of how much food we need to provide for competitors! Please note that even if you pre-register you still have to be at the range and pay the match fee before 8:40AM the day of the match!

Match Fee: $20. This covers entry for one pistol, and one or both shotgun divisions. Lunch is also included. Bring $1 bills for the side match plate rack.

If you want to watch and eat, the cost is $5. Free to watch without food.

There will be two divisions for Pistol (Open [optics and/or compensators], Limited [everything else]) and two divisions for Shotgun (Semi-auto, Pump).

The match essentially pits two shooters against each other with the same number of steel targets. The last target to be shot for each shooter overlaps and whoever gets the last target down first (all other targets must be down first or you lose by default!) wins. Pistol matches will be double-elimination and shotgun matches are single elimination. That means if you bring a pistol and two shotguns (one pump, one semi-auto), you will get a minimum of 4 runs for the day.

For the pistol match, you will always start with the gun loaded and holstered with hands in the “surrender position.” For the shotgun match, shotguns start loaded and held at low ready. Once you hear the start signal, draw and engage all the targets as quickly as you can! The person next to you is trying to beat you to that last target!

This is definitely one of the most fun and exhilarating competitions of the year. Of all of the matches I’ve done, none get your heart racing as fast as this one. The shooter that can keep their attention on their shooting and not on their opponent (and the constant shooting and sound of steel being hit) will almost always win.

This is a simple but challenging match. There will be no movement or reloading on the clock (unless you miss a lot [ask me how I know]) but it will test your accuracy, speed, and ability to manage stress.

Schedule Is As Follows:
  • Setup and Registration will start at 7:15AM.
  • Registration closes at 8:40AM but you definitely want to show up sooner if you can.
  • Brackets should be completed by 9:00AM.
  • Shooters’ Meeting starts at 9:00AM.
  • Match begins immediately following the Shooters’ Meeting.
  • The pistol match will be shot in the morning, ending at lunch time.
  • The shotgun match will begin after lunch.
  • There will also be a side stage plate rack that you can shoot, so you can still have a lot of fun shooting even if you lose early. $1/run, as many runs as you want.
Equipment You Will Need:
  • A handgun chambered in 9x19mm or larger.
  • A holster for your handgun. It is highly recommended you get one designed specifically for your gun and not a universal holster.
  • A pump and/or semi-auto shotgun.
  • Plenty of ammunition for the guns you bring. If you win a lot you will shoot a lot!
ENGC range rule: No shot larger than #7 in your shotgun. That means that only #7 shot and higher number birdshot types are allowed (#8 shot is very commonly used).

Video of how it works from 2010:

If you have any questions please reply to this thread or PM me! I will respond as soon as I can. :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:58:20 PM by SeanN »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Make sure to get those pre-registrations in---makes it a lot easier on the people who are preparing lunch for us!

This really is one of the most exciting matches of the year.  Head-to-head competition, lots of banging and clanging....you don't have to be the fastest in the whole match every time, you just have to be faster than your opponent THAT TIME.  :)

...while not letting all the shooting from everyone else get you flustered.

We'll also probably have a side match of "Who Can Run the Plate Rack the Fastest?!" for 2 bucks a run or something.  (We normally do.)  I've never had a chance to do it (I'm generally running the brackets), but I hear it is lots of fun to drop a $5 for three runs, and see if you can knock the current leader off the board. 

If I recall correctly, Tom Engel and Dennis Kirchoff normally have some of the top times for the Irons division, with Nick Greenfield often getting the Open win on the side match.

Surely you guys are faster than they are?  :)

Only $20 for one pistol entry (double-elimination), two shotgun entries (one semi-auto, one pump, assuming you have both guns, both are single elimination) plus an outstanding lunch.  (You will need to provide your own drinks, by the way.)

It is a seriously fun time.  Load up plenty of ammo (remember, to advance in the bracket you have to win best two out of three runs) because you'd hate to keep winning and then end up running out of ammo before the end!

Pre-register:  https://clubs.practiscore.com/enps-man-vs-man-steel-match/register
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
How many rounds per shotgun match?

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
In my first Bowling Pin Shoot I barely lost to Dennis in our first heat. With double elimination though he got the chance to make up for it and smoked me in the second.

I've never competed in one of these. I really want to make this one, so we'll see what the next couple of weeks hold.

Edit: It was in the championship round :)
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 06:50:19 AM by AWick »
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
How many rounds per shotgun match?

Not really.  Generally, we do seven steel for the pistol, and 6 steel for the shotgun for any one run.  You'll have time to reload and reset between runs, and best two out of three runs gives you the win.

Here's another video, from back in 2009. 

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Hypothetically, if I end up around 50%, how long of a day would this probably work out to be?

Also, I know it says "plenty" but how much pistol ammo? 200? 100000?
(I'm a bit low at the moment :)

I'd really like to make one of these, but getting out of what I have scheduled in the afternoon will be tough. If I can be done before noon, I think I can swing it.

Also, when is the next pro-am match?
(I know I could look it up, but since I am asking questions anyway...)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:16:59 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
I'd really like to make one of these, but getting out of what I have scheduled in the afternoon will be tough. If I can be done before noon, I think I can swing it.

That's easy.  I've only shot it once and was knocked out after the second elimination.  Do as poorly as I did and you can head back home REAL early.   :laugh:

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
Hypothetically, if I end up around 50%, how long of a day would this probably work out to be?

Also, I know it says "plenty" but how much pistol ammo? 200? 100000?
(I'm a bit low at the moment :)

Also, when is the next pro-am match?

We tend to finish up the pistol portion around noon-ish.  Then we have lunch, and the shotgun stuff is after lunch.  So if you only shoot pistol, there shouldn't be a time problem for you.

Next Pro-Am is scheduled for June 29th.

And even if a shooter loses absolutely every run they shoot, they'll still get to shoot four runs, so it isn't like some people are done in the first 2 minutes of the match... 

As for ammo----it REALLY depends on how well you do.  If you make it all the way to the end, you might have to shoot 8 or 9 matchups, and if each one goes three runs, that's about 200 rounds if you never miss. 

People miss a lot.  :)

Plus, you should go try the side match on the plate rack a couple of times, so there is another 20 rounds or so.

Shotgun tends to take less ammo and be shorter in terms of time, due to the single elimination plus not everyone shoots shotgun in the afternoon.  (Though if you have a pumpgun AND a semi-auto, you can shoot both divisions if you want.)

I tend to bring 200 shotgun shells and around 400 pistol rounds----BUT, I always wildly over-pack for things like this.  Most of it ends up going back home.  :)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Can never have too much ammo.... :) I would suggest at least 300 rounds, especially if you think you might win a bunch!

Thanks jthhapkido for answering questions.

The match is rapidly approaching, only 11 days away! You can still register online and we would really appreciate if you did since we want to make sure we have enough food for everyone!

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
I'm thinking my shotgun, which holds a whopping 5 rounds, would not be a good choice for the shotgun match :(

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
I'm thinking my shotgun, which holds a whopping 5 rounds, would not be a good choice for the shotgun match :(

You'd actually be fine. For the shotgun matches we only have 6 targets. So if your shotgun is 5+1, you'll be fine... Just don't miss! :)

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
Match is this Sunday

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Match tomorrow folks! Are you excited? I am! :)

You can still pre-register for another 6 hours or so.

Hope to see you all at the range! Remember: Those who stay calm and can focus on their shooting will do the best! Ignore the other guy or you'll make mistakes!

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
Good to see everyone at the match!  We had 13 people in Open Pistol, and 42 people in the Iron Pistol division, for a total of 55 shooters.  (Which I believe is a record for the Man vs Man match.)

We also had lots of people shooting shotgun in the afternoon.  And wasn't the food really good?  :)  Edie does a great job with it, especially the cake.