< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My new quad load shotgun caddies  (Read 3248 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
My new quad load shotgun caddies
« on: April 28, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »
Just wanted to share my new shotgun shell caddies.  I can't take too much credit for these since sparky0068 was the one who gave me the inspiration to build them.  I'd been thinking about buying some, but they're pricey and I'm cheap.  I made these out of scrap wood and kydex I had laying around.  The only thing I paid for was some screws, paint, and the tek locks to mount them to my belt.

I originally thought I didn't have big enough hands to quad load, but I tried it before making the caddies and it's actually doable.  I'm still slow, but not as slow as when I loaded one at a time.

Here's a shot before I mounted the tek lock and painted it.  The frame is 1/4" plywood, with 3/4" wood spacers.  The clips are made of kydex.  I'm still tweaking them to get them just right.

And the finished product:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:07:22 PM by bkoenig »

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: My new quad load shotgun caddies
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:54:05 PM »
Those are sweet! I want to make some up also. I saw the idea on Enos forums about a month ago but I haven't put a lot of effort into it since I don't have a shot gun right now to even practice on. I think it would be easier to load 4 on my 500 if I would ever make it up to a multi gun event.

One thing that I did see one the ones that other people made was that they actually put a small pocket for the screw to sit into. That way they shell didn't have to come into contact with it. Not sure if this a issue for you but Might be something to look at if you make more clips.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »
I tried to recess the screw, but my kydex molding skills are pretty weak.  I haven't noticed any problems with it hanging up the shells, though.

Now I just need to practice more.  When you screw up quad loading the results are spectacular.  Shells go flying everywhere.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 02:36:04 PM »
Are you using a shell as a mold?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »
Yes - I used a shell with a little strip of kydex stuck to the back as a spacer.  I cut the piece of kydex to be formed down to size, then heated it up and wrapped the warm kydex around the shell to form it.  Then when it was mostly cooled I slid the shell out and pinched the formed clip a little closer together to make it hold tighter.

Hopefully sparky0068 will post his here.  He used broom clips to make his and it really looks slick.  I tried them, but they are too thick and won't sit close enough together to quad load.  They work great for a dual load system, though.

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »
Per the request BK here is my load 2 caddies, as BK has stated I used broom handle clips.

The clips can be tweaked to fit the shells to your liking, and are very secure.  One drawback is they are bulky.

Since I don't have bear paws and not being able to do load 4, this is the solution for me.

Even though these are not tier 1 in quality, they will work just fine for me.

Now perhaps I should get to posting up about the shotgun that i use these with.....
KD0LKT

Offline MHicks

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »
Those look pretty good. 

Admittedly I had to look up quad loading to see what it was.  It is clear how the caddies can be helpful.  I think even more clear how shells can end up everywhere when not done correctly.