< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: ND: Friday afternoon at 5:00 Gun Purchase, 7:30 Killed Friend  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Many of us are aware a young adult purchased a handgun about 5pm on Friday last, and by 7:30 he had a ND in his apartment, that caused the death of his friend.   Shot in the chest.

I teach gun safety classes at my business, but my safety classes did not do these two guys a bit of good, because they did not attend one.

Starting immediately, anyone can come to my business at 1st & O street, any evening at 6pm, any day of the week, alone,  with a friend, as a group, or as a family, and I will give you a three hour Gun Safety Class, on the fundamentals of handguns, free of charge.

In the past, I charged $49 for this class. 

Subjects covered will include:

Pistol Knowledge

Safe Gun Handling

Ammunition Knowledge

Fundamentals of Pistol Shooting

Cleaning

Storage

I have it as my goal, no one else will die, because they were not offered a gun safety class.

If you know any gun shop owners, please have them contact me, so I can offer this to their customers. 

Lets not let this happen to any more of our young people, that are interested in firearms.

http://www.guns1roses.com/Free_Gun_Safety_Class.html

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:23:29 AM by Gary »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: ND: Friday afternoon at 5:00 Gun Purchase, 7:30 Killed Friend
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:18:57 AM »
Not sure if they carried it thru, but BigShots was to give a quick course with new owners before they left with the firearm.  But I would definitely talk to DE Guns, NE gun, etc.
If you ever need backup, let me know.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »
My brother in law was friends with the people involved with incident I am not totally sure how close but good enough to call them friends. Shame that this happened.

Gary this is a very nice offer and I hope new gun owners use the benefit.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 09:51:06 AM »
its a terrible story, but if he didn't witness the gun being safety checked prior to handling it or watching his friend handle it, he failed in his gun safety along with the gun owner

clearly the biggest failure was pointing the muzzle at a person, as well as having finger on trigger when not wanting to shoot

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 04:01:50 PM »
Never point the muzzle at anything you do not intend to shoot.  In an apartment complex, with people living in every direction around you, up, down, sides, this is challenging.  IMHO, in a cluster of apartments, gun should never leave a holster, except in an emergency.

Never put your finger on the trigger, until your sights are aligned, and you are ready to shoot.  Keep your finger off the trigger!

Keep your guns unloaded, until you are ready to use them.   

Additionally, keep all guns, unloaded,  locked up, in a gun safe.  Inside a sock, in the sock drawer, is not good enough.  keep all ammo, locked up, in a separate location, not with the locked up guns.

If you have a imitate peril handgun, you want ready at a split second, keep it on your person, in a level 2 or above holster, or keep it locked up in a small, dedicated for nothing else, safe.

If you own two guns, and no safe, sell one, and get a safe.  If you own one gun, and no safe, sell it, and buy a dog, or buy a safe, and save up your money for a gun.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 04:38:54 AM »
Yesterday, two things happened. 

One, an ad I placed in the American Classifieds went live, advertising free gun safety classes, every evening, seven days a week, at my business at 1st & O street, in Lincoln.  Anyone wishing to sit in on a class, free of charge, you are most welcome.  Come by any evening at 6pm.

Secondly, a little boy, named Beau Pecor, that lives in Adams county, will forever be 4 years old.   Exact details have not been released, but we do know it is being thought of as an (reported) ACCIDENT, involving a riffle.

In Gods name, what is it going to take, so there will be no more forever 4 year olds? 

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 07:55:25 AM »
God.

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 08:11:36 AM »
Gary, if you ever need an "assistant" during your classes, give me a shout.

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »
Gary, GOOD for you, I applaud your offer and efforts.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 02:01:15 PM »
I cannot give up cars, because people are killed in auto collisions.  I cannot give up eating, because some people choke to death.  I cannot give up sleeping, because some people die in their sleep.

However, I am sometimes tempted to walk away from guns, and all things gun related, because of forever four year olds.

I have to keep reminding myself, guns do not kill people, stupid gun owners kill innocent people. 

Thanks for everyone that has offered to help.  Problem is, I think the instructors, care more than the students.  I will wait and see if throngs of people come out of the woodwork, to sign up for free classes. 

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 08:57:03 PM »
Gary ....The Problem here isn't the Gun

It's the person....the one who leaves it unattended and in reach of the Child.   :(

Locked, unlocked, loaded or unloaded it's still totally the owners responsibility.

Until you can get them to either be smart enough to act responsibly or take a class that trains them how to act responsibly.
We will always have Idiots out there you can't legislate them away no matter how you try

We will always end up with forever 4 year old's.
Be they shot, cut, hit by a car or simply drowning in a pond, lake, river or pool.

The Adult is at fault because they should have known better.

So please don't blame the item for whats happened....place your blame where it belongs...on the person that wasn't being a responsible adult.

Until the day when we are free of all the idiots in the world 
All you can do is be happy with each one you can train to not be one themselves.

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 10:18:34 PM »
This brings to mind my prior post...

What I have experienced at shooting matches

Here are two good (bad) examples of why you learn and practice the rules of safe gun handling.  When you must break one of the fundamental rules, you add new (even obsessive) rules to make sure you or someone else doesn't end up being the next person killed with an "unloaded" gun.

I believe it is every gun owner's responsibility to learn, create a set of rules, practice, and pass on the learned habit of safe gun handling.

"Learn" because it is their responsibility, not a teacher's responsibility to give them the knowledge.  Whether it is from a class, books, or reputable resources (such as NRA) on the web, the gun owner must be responsible and seek it out. 

"Create a set of rules" because the basic gun safety rules are not enough.  There are situations where these rules may not apply or at least are difficult to apply. This means you make up additional personal standard operating procedures (PSOPs) that will keep you safe.

"Practice" because (as I argue in my thread) you must make safe gun handling a habit.  It needs to be more of a learned muscle memory, and less of a conscious action.  When you are tired, distracted, or something is not going quite right, your safe learned habits will prevent tragedy.

"Pass on" because one person with safe gun handling skills can pass this down to two people (children?) and these two can each pass it on to two other gun owners, and it will be infectious. 

Many people reading this will think to themselves that they would never have such egregious gun handling habits that could cause a similar tragedy, but are you sure about that?  Are you obsessive about your gun safety?  "Obsessive" may sound, well...obsessive, but when the mishandling of an object could cause death or serious injury, shouldn't we be a little obsessive?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 02:50:23 AM »
When I suggest to people on youtube videos that they wear eyes and ears and stop putting their hand in front of the muzzle while showing their guns off on the interwebs, they get offended and do not want to be told what to do.

Front serrations on an autoloader slide was a dumb idea because people think that is a good place to grab to work the slide with half their hand out over the front of the barrel.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger