< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Inside Waist Band (IWB) Holster Recommendation: Desantis Mad Max  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
In the world of strong side hip carry, it is difficult finding a comfortable CHP holster that will sit concealed on your hip for 16 hour days.

Not only does it need to be comfortable, it needs the following to be a good holster.

Retention: The gun must stay in the holster, under stress,  running, bending, jumping, climbing, sitting, reaching.  If the gun will not stay in the holster, it is unacceptable, period.  The Mad Max does a fine job of keeping my Glock 22, 23 snugly in place.   With a strong pull, the gun comes out without the need to undo any retention devices that may prove difficult or impossible under stress.

Holster should go on and off your belt, moderately easily, without removing the belt.  Need to go into a court house, or other property where carry is not allowed, you should be able to remove the holster, while not un-holstering your sidearm.  The Mad Max easily allows this critical safety function.   Snaps, that stay snapped, fasten and unfasten easily, but stay in place.  (read the enclosed directions, to figure out how to work the snaps.)

16 hour days pass with ease.   No kydex to make you wish you were anti 2nd amendment.   The Mad Max is 100% stiff Cow Leather.   Yes it softens up, over a few weeks, to feel like a favorite pair of leather shoes.  The most comfortable IWB holster I have ever worn.   I have been licensed to CC going back over 30 years. 

Ultra Concealable:  The Mad Max is an inside your waist holster, with two sturdy leather attachment points  that reach outside your waist to circle your belt.    Also comes with J hooks, if you need to easily tuck in a dress shirt.

Reholstering: If you must unholster your sidearm while carrying, the Mad Max is a pretty easy holster to work with.  The leather is double thick, and heavily stitched around the opening, which allows the holster to retain its shape, with the gun removed.  Reholstering is achieved using your strong hand only.  Gun slides in firmly and stays put.

Quality, through and through.   You will find no better holster, at this price point.  At $56 dollars on Amazon, and similar pricing at eBay, this holster is a fine value.  The Mad Max compares to the Milt Sparks Versa Max II that sells for $250.  Save two hundred bucks, and get the Mad Max from Desantis.

Photo 2  of a left strong side version.  Comes in right handed, or left.  Comes in tan, or black.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RFUAI8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Jhetrick5

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Inside Waist Band (IWB) Holster Recommendation: Desantis Mad Max
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 03:35:52 PM »
The Mad Max looks like an amazing holster! I did perform some due diligence before ordering my first holster, though not as broad as I probably should have! I had received such glowing reports about the Versa Max I pretty well jumped on that bandwagon right away. I will say the VM is an incredibly comfortable holster, even after 12 hours carrying a full size XDM 45. I've seen VMs on the net for prices you quote but I ordered mine direct for $127 including shipping. I did have to wait 13 weeks for delivery but, as with the Desantis, the quality was worth the wait. I will say that $56 for a custom leather holster sounds like an incredible deal!

Thanks for posting this info! If I find myself in the market for an additional holster I'll certainly be looking at Desantis based on your review.

For what it's worth I also have a Crossbreed IWB but I always go back to the all leather!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk