< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: If You Cannot Find A Comfortable Gun Holster, Maybe It Is Your Belt?  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Your holster is the most important piece of safety and support equipment for Concealed Carry, right?

Not so fast.  If your holster is ideal, and your belt is WalMart, you are not getting the proper benefits from your holster.

IMHO, the belt is at least as important, as a good gun holster. 

In the Concealed Carry set up, you want everything to match.  If you have 1.75" belt loops in your pants, don't put on a belt that is 1.5", and toss on a 2" holster.   Stay consistent.    If you have 1.75" belt loops, keep it all 1.75". 

The belt, should be able to form a circle, when buckled, and held at 9 and 3, with a holster on it, with handgun, and the belt not sag anywhere.  If the gun sags, even at 12 or 6, while your hands are at 9 and 3, toss the belt, and get a sturdy one.

My choice, is www.TheWilderness.com.  There are leather makers locally to the Lincoln Omaha area, that make a fine product, and they are members here, so supporting them is a good idea. 

I prefer an Instructor Belt,  double thick nylon with a plastic stiff liner sandwiched inside, and stitched in place.   That belt will not droop, or crush, or roll, no matter what.   I also like Instructor belt fasteners, like used for mountain climbing belts, rather than holes in my belt.  I like the infinite setting that allows me. 

If you conceal carry, I would urge you to get a proper, stiff gun belt, to support your sidearm.

To make a great belt, even better, think about getting a set of belt suspenders.   They fasten to your belt, not to your pants.  I have never met anyone, having tried a set, that did not like them.

Optics Planet sells many fine gun belts.  http://www.opticsplanet.com/belts.html

Midwest Leather Works, sells fine gun belts and holsters.  http://www.midwestleatherworks.com

The Wildernes Instructors Belt

Offline lunchbox

• Steel Benefactor
Re: If You Cannot Find A Comfortable Gun Holster, Maybe It Is Your Belt?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:28:18 PM »
I agree completely. I am lucky that one of my good friends is a custom holster maker. My belt is double horse hide with triple stitching and a giraffe hide IWB holster. Before I had a nice belt, holstering was almost a chore.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
I know a really good belt and holster maker, don't I Matt?

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
I know a really good belt and holster maker, don't I Matt?
That's what I hear.  :)
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Any gun holster maker that wants to display items they have for sale, in my shop, is welcome to do so.  Two CC classes weekly.  I also have hundreds of folks go through my Guns 2 Roses business weekly. 

Offline Jhetrick5

• NFOA Full Member
Re: If You Cannot Find A Comfortable Gun Holster, Maybe It Is Your Belt?
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 03:11:55 PM »
I completely agree, and with carrying a full size XDM 45, by adding suspenders I've found them to be critical to comfortable, efficient carry. I saw some rave reviews about Perry suspenders and tried a couple pair. These are great suspenders, easy to put on and being 2" wide they make for comfortable all day carry. They solved my problems of sagging pants without having to over tighten my belt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk