< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Water softner install?  (Read 3112 times)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
Water softner install?
« on: April 20, 2014, 11:00:34 PM »
Wife wants to get one installed, personally i can do without, but as it goes.....

Anyhow, in omaha, anyone have any recomendations for service?

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Water softner install?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 11:18:59 PM »
to install it? I did mine myself, but then I plumbed the whole house when I built it

its actually pretty easy, plastic pipe is easiest, copper just need solder, a older house with steel pipe. you just need a pipe threader,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline H2O_King89

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 12:19:57 AM »
I am a plumber out of Lincoln, there are all kinds of ways to install them.

Best place to put them is right after the meter or sprinkler system. If copper or PEX, home depot has some cool install kits you can use. There braided style lines with Shark Bite on one side and female threaded on the other. 

Water softener come with 1" male threaded adapters. Also make sure the water line coming from the meter is going to the in part of the by - pass and the out is going to the house. And plug into a 110.

IMHO I like sears softners

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:37:14 AM »
If you need some help, give us (Handyman Joes) a call.  (Number is in my signature.)

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:10:42 AM »
I did mine. Copper pipe with solder joints. Actually, I am on my second unit.

My biggest concern was the amount of salt in the water, so I ran a separate cold water line from before the softener to the cold side of the kitchen faucet and the fridge for water and ice.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 09:55:49 AM »
Unless you want to know way more about water softeners than you need to, give Handyman Joe's the call. 

I own mine and installed it myself but it was a replacement for an old one that had given up the ghost.  It required quite a bit of replumbing on old copper pipe to get it set up to use the newer connectors.  But that was Ok since I learned how to solder pipe many many years ago. Also had to learn to program it for proper calibration etc.  But it works great.

Our Omaha house has a rented one and I can't remember the place who services it right off the top of my head but it's a nice little digital model.

I'll look it up when I get home if I remember it and post it later.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 10:42:10 AM »
If you need some help, give us (Handyman Joes) a call.  (Number is in my signature.)

It's no problem if i go buy one, and just leave the install up to you?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 11:59:40 AM »
I am a plumber out of Lincoln, there are all kinds of ways to install them.

Best place to put them is right after the meter or sprinkler system. If copper or PEX, home depot has some cool install kits you can use. There braided style lines with Shark Bite on one side and female threaded on the other. 

Water softener come with 1" male threaded adapters. Also make sure the water line coming from the meter is going to the in part of the by - pass and the out is going to the house. And plug into a 110.

IMHO I like sears softners

Have been thinking about this myself.  My mom's is hooked up the same as kozball's (hard cold water to kitchen).  Is that how most installations are set up?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 01:13:40 PM »

It's no problem if i go buy one, and just leave the install up to you?

No problem at all.  Just make sure it fits in the space and is adequate for the amount of water used.

Offline H2O_King89

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 01:28:25 PM »
Have been thinking about this myself.  My mom's is hooked up the same as kozball's (hard cold water to kitchen).  Is that how most installations are set up?

Fly

You can do a bypass for the kitchen faucet. It's about 50/50 who do and don't. For me I wouldn't. I don't like hard water damage to my faucet. 

Reason people do it, is because they don't the taste of soft water which is a flat taste and not a ranch taste. Now if it's salty then there is something wrong with the softener.

If your basement is unfinished and have an extra hole on your sink. You can run a 3/8 bypass to your sink for a drinking spout.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 01:29:44 PM »
You can do a bypass for the kitchen faucet. It's about 50/50 who do and don't. For me I wouldn't. I don't like hard water damage to my faucet. 

Reason people do it, is because they don't the taste of soft water which is a flat taste and not a ranch taste. Now if it's salty then there is something wrong with the softener.

If your basement is unfinished and have an extra hole on your sink. You can run a 3/8 bypass to your sink for a drinking spout.

Thanks H2O
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 02:26:07 PM »
What effect are you looking to achieve?  Rust stains, sulfur smell?  Less detergent for laundry?

Depending on your water, and the results you want, will tell you what systems might be a good fit.

I purchased our home in 1986.  In the 90's, our water softener (used salt) gave out.

I researched everything I could (harder job before the Internet got rolling like it is today).

I built myself, a magnetic system, to treat the water.  We no longer have any rust stains, and it even keeps the sulfur smell down most of the time.  Some years, we smell it once, some years, we never smell it. 

Most magnetic systems do not work, because you need to study what you are trying to achieve, and how your plumbing system is set up.  Magnetic systems, are not one size fits all.    If you figure out how to make one, and install it yourself, the systems costs nothing to operate, and lasts a lifetime.

The build cost of mine was under $100

If you do it wrong, it will not work, and you are wasting your time.

I am sure there are now sources all over you tube, showing how to build one. 

I know for a fact, they work, if properly installed.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »
This is not the systems I used, I made my own years before these systems were available. 

Watch these videos, and research some on your own, and make the system you need.  The magnets are available at The Surplus Center, in Lincoln NE, or on line.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:47:32 PM by Gary »

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 07:40:03 PM »
Stryker Rental is who we rent from.  1514 Saddle Creek -- 402-453-5730  Goes by Futuramic Clean Water

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 09:49:19 PM »
I had a Futuramic at our last house. It went through at least 5 bags of salt per month and was very noisy during it's cycle.

I've had a WaterBoss from Menards in this house for about 3 years now. 5 people in the house and I only go through about 2-3 bags of salt per month with pretty darn hard water to deal with. No complaints. Installation is pretty simple.

It is often on sale for $399. http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/water-filtration-softeners/water-softeners/waterboss-22-000-grain-water-softener/p-1459985-c-8682.htm
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 08:15:57 PM »
I had a Futuramic at our last house. It went through at least 5 bags of salt per month and was very noisy during it's cycle.

I've had a WaterBoss from Menards in this house for about 3 years now. 5 people in the house and I only go through about 2-3 bags of salt per month with pretty darn hard water to deal with. No complaints. Installation is pretty simple.

It is often on sale for $399. http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/water-filtration-softeners/water-softeners/waterboss-22-000-grain-water-softener/p-1459985-c-8682.htm

I have the Waterboss at home in Denman.  I love it and the nice thing is they are easy to setup and install yourself and take up very little room.  Disadvantage is they bridge easily so I have to check it weekly and make sure the salt hasn't bridged over.

Strange to hear about your softener from Stryker.  Surprised they didn't make that right with you.