< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha laws regarding pellet rifles - Need info please  (Read 6728 times)

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
Omaha laws regarding pellet rifles - Need info please
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »
A friend of mine wants to purchase a pellet rifle for his grandson who lives in Omaha. 

Are there any city ordinances to be aware of?  Can pellet guns even be fired in city limits?   

I'm guessing not, but thought some of our Omaha members could give us accurate info. 

Thanks!

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Omaha laws regarding pellet rifles - Need info please
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 03:42:15 PM »
Let's Start Here:

Sec. 20-197. Discharging Projectiles—Nonexplosive devices.

It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge or release any instrument which propels a projectile across or into any public place or in the private property of another person.

Which means BB gun, slingshot, pellet gun, arrows, rocks, and other projectiles must stay in your own yard.   Not over the fence or ricochet out of the yard.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »
Which means BB gun, slingshot, pellet gun, arrows, rocks, and other projectiles must stay in your own yard.   Not over the fence or ricochet out of the yard.

Yep.  I have a older neighbor who is retired from the city that had the police called on him by a liberal neighbor for shooting a squirrel with his pellet rife.  Apparently the squirrel was in his tree but in a part that hangs over the street when he shot it.  OPD did nothing but told him next time make sure it's on your property. 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 06:39:26 PM »
Omaha MuniCode Section 20-197 was modified in 1980.

Prior to that time it specifically mentioned pellet guns:  Pellets should not leave shooter's yard, etc.

Now the above provision is written more generally to also include projectiles other than pellets.

So--the Older Neighbor Guy was shooting a squirrel with a pellet rifle....  I'm telling FeralCatKiller about this outrage.

FWIW, if you also have nocturnal possums and raccoons in your area (as does much of Omaha), it makes getting rid of the squirrel carcasses much easier.   All traces of squirrel gone by morning.

sfg
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:15:10 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 07:42:07 PM »
WOW!  Omaha laws less restrictive than Lincoln? 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:23:16 AM »
I had a rather simple air rifle range in my backyard before I moved. I had a privacy fence so the neighbors wouldn't get scared (even when I'm obeying all laws, I also try to consider other people's reactions). Anyway, I called the PD just to be sure I interpreted the law correctly. She told me over the phone (just as SFG said), keep the BB's in the yard and I'll be fine.

One day, we were walking out the door with a couple of air rifles just as a Patrol Car was going by. He turned around and came back to my drive. The Officer got out and came over to talk to us (my daughter and I). I wish I could remember his name...awesome guy and a very understanding Officer. He had us laughing before it was over.

We have since moved and I now am on the corner of a very busy intersection. I won't set up a new range here just because the risk is too great. I do have a really long finished basement though :) I set up an archery target with backstop and also do some air gun shooting there. It's about 40 feet is all, but fun for a quick shoot now and then.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 08:23:29 AM »
WOW!  Omaha laws less restrictive than Lincoln? 

and Bellevue!....I'm surprised

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 09:07:48 AM »
we have a large population of black birds that often come to my yard and push all the red and yellow finches out, this upsets my wife, so well, now we don't have as large of a blackbird population.

on nice days I'll sit in my family room with the sliding door all the way open and a pellet gun in my hands while sitting on the couch.
Its fun, although one neck shot of a blackbird in our birdbath was a real mess.
but again I have a 6 foot high wood fence and I keep in mind the angle of my shots.

and yes, we have some nocternal critters and I'd toss all the dead birds between my fence and my smoke house, and they'd all be gone.
Now if you look in my back yard around midnight you'll see a couple stray cats going over to that corner looking for lunch.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 01:40:24 PM »
we have some nocternal critters and I'd toss all the dead birds between my fence and my smoke house, and they'd all be gone.

Pushing all the Right Buttons, it appears.

>Looking after the maintenance, health, and welfare of the Little Nite Animals and Kitties.

>Recycling  (the Wicked Blackbirds).

>Controlling potential overpopulation  (well-know World Problem, probably contributes to Global Warming).

>Setting a stellar example for Non-Firearms Projectile Safety.

>Minimizing fossil fuel by-product pollution by not driving an internal combustion engine during long hunting trips.

All Good Stuff.  Sounds to me like a candidate for some kind of combined PETA/Environmental/NRA Award.

Just Keep on Keepin' On:   Doin' the Lord's Work.

Right in Your Own Back Yard.

sfg

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 10:54:53 AM »
Plus you're not using nasty toxins that ruin our environment and poison our lands!

+1 for being environmentally friendly!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.