< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: USPSA Special Classifier Match, May 4th at ENGC  (Read 1715 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
USPSA Special Classifier Match, May 4th at ENGC
« on: April 10, 2014, 12:24:39 PM »
The Eastern Nebraska Practical Shooters will be holding a USPSA Special Classifier match with 6 classifier stages on May 4th, 2014 at the Eastern Nebraska Gun Club.

Match fee will be $20, and if you wish to shoot in a second division, the additional cost will be $5 more.  (If shooting a in a second division, you will shoot with your squad through the entire match in your first division, re-squad, and then re-shoot all stages in your second division .  All people shooting a second division are expecting to stay to help tear down the stages after the match.)

As usual, setup starts at 7:15am, with registration closing at 8:40 with a safety/new shooter briefing at that time.  Shooter's meeting at 9am, and we'll start shooting right afterwards.

The classifiers have been chosen, and they are:

03-09:  On The Move
    99-41: Works For Me
    99-56: On The Upper Pad II
    13-06: Too Close For Comfort
    06-05: Fluffy's Revenge 2
    03-05: Paper Poppers

Total round count is 68, which makes it by far our smallest round count of the year, even though it is one more stage than normal.  :)  (We like high round count stages around here!)

If you are interested in starting in USPSA, this is an important match.  With six classifier stages, you can get your initial classification all in one match.  (We normally only have one classifier stage every other month---and it takes a minimum of four stages to get an initial classification.) 

While anyone can shoot the match and be listed in the results, you only get a classification (your scores only get reported to USPSA headquarters for calculation) if you are a USPSA member---so get yourself signed up online early enough so that you know your member number by the time you register for the match. 

USPSA Membership:  https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-join-renew.php
(It even tells you how to get your member number early if needed.)

For those interested in starting USPSA, this is a good way to begin---because not only are the stages very straightforward and uncomplicated, but the stage descriptions are available to you prior to the match so that you can already figure out what you have to do to succeed.  :)

So if you have an interest in USPSA (and you know you have!) get yourself an annual membership to start with, and come out to the classifier match.

As usual, you can pre-register online for the classifier match:  https://clubs.practiscore.com/enps-may-uspsa-match-all-classifier/register

(And as always, even if you pre-register you still need to check in at registration and pay before registration closes on match day.)

See you there!

(Updated to add the pre-registration link.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:37:56 AM by jthhapkido »
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bkent

• NFOA Full Member
Re: USPSA Special Classifier Match, May 4th at ENGC
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 04:31:03 PM »
EDIT:  I have not received a communication back from the USPSA tech group, but as of this morning it looks like the site has been patched and the form should be secure.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I was planning on joining USPSA, using the link provided.

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-join-renew.php

I checked the URL for Heartbleed and found it was vulnerable.  For those of you who aren't tech minded, it means the information you input into the form can be stolen.  It should not be considered a secure connection.

I sent an email to USPSA yesterday and will follow up on Monday with a phone call.  Hopefully they will patch and replace their SSL certs soon.

I'll post back updates to this thread.

For information on Heartbleed:

http://heartbleed.com/

Kent

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:00:40 AM by bkent »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 02:53:24 PM »
In the classifier match coming up, most shooters want to do the best they possibly can (big surprise) so they can get a high initial classification, or raise their current classification. 

Some people set up the known classifiers, and practice them.  Other people just hope a lot.  :) 

While I wouldn't suggest practicing the classifier stages (for a number of reasons, but among them that you don't actually want to be classified as HIGHER than your skill level will support) it IS true that aspects of classifiers can (and should) be practiced if you want to get good at USPSA. 

While it is arguable that ALL classifiers test actual shooting skills applicable to USPSA, it is certainly true that many of the movement and shooting skills in them DO appear in USPSA stages.  So something you can do is to take a look at the stages and see what skills are required other than simply being able to be accurate.

Here's what I see for non-shooting skills when I look at the stages for the upcoming match:

03-09: Draw, movement into and out of a position
99-41: Draw, standing reload, shooting around barricade
99-56: Surrender draw, movement into and out of a position, moving reload 
13-06: Draw, standing reload
06-05: Turn and surrender draw
03-05: Surrender draw, standing reload

If we take those skills and tally them, we see that several things immediately jump out: 

Standing reload (3)
Draw  (3)
Surrender draw (2)
Movement into position (2)
Barricade shooting (1)
Turn and surrender draw (1)
Moving Reload (1)

If you have a slow standing reload, that is going to hurt you in multiple places.  Similarly for a basic draw and a surrender draw.  (Pretty much all draws are to close, open targets.  No draws to 25-yard partials in this set of stages.)

As such, if you have a limited amount of time to practice, you should probably devote the majority of your time to standing reloads, draws and surrender draws, and if you have some extra time, effective movement into a shooting position.

…and obviously, hitting the target.  No matter what, you need to be able to hit specific points on your targets.  However, if your standing reload takes 4 seconds, and your draw/surrender draw takes 2.5 seconds, (instead of a more normal 2 seconds and 1.5 seconds) that is an extra 12 seconds you've taken in those stages in which you've simply lost time for no appreciable purpose.   

Put it this way:  If you were to run classifier 99-41 in a GM time of 6.16 seconds with no points down, you'd get a 100% classifier score from HQ.  If, however, you lost 3 seconds due to a slow draw and a slow reload, even with everything else being equal (perfect shooting) your classifier percentage drops to a 67%.  That's a big deal!

Note:  All of these are low round-count stages.  As such, you cannot afford to give away many points, either.  Example:  In 13-06 Too Close For Comfort, there are two head shots you are forced to take.  If you don't get A-hits, you have dropped 4 points out of 50 (for people shooting Minor).  That doesn't sound like much, until you realize that doing so drops you 8% in your classification score, all by itself.  On the other hand, taking 5 seconds for a headshot (and worse yet, still getting a B-hit) doesn't help either.

So to succeed, you need to be both fast and accurate. 

In general, go all-out for speed on everything that is a non-shooting motion (draws, reloads, movement), and do what you need to do (including moderate your speed) to shoot A-hits on everything while shooting.

And if you perform dry fire practice on draws, surrender draws, and standing reloads for the next two weeks, just by itself that practice will help you on almost all of the stages.  And since you'll need those skills in every other USPSA stage, it'll help you everywhere else, too.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 05:36:38 AM »
Pre-registration is available for the classifier match! 

https://clubs.practiscore.com/enps-may-uspsa-match-all-classifier/register

Get yourself pre-registered, it'll make registration at the match go MUCH quicker, and would be appreciated.  Remember---if you pre-register, you still need to check in and pay at the match before the cutoff time. 

If you are planning on shooting in two divisions, pre-register for your first division, and at the match, add the registration for your second division.

See you there!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:44:23 AM »
Anyone have a rough estimate on how long this match will go?  I imagine it will run faster than a normal USPSA match since it has a lot lower round count.  My wife will be picking me up so I wanted to give her an idea.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 01:22:41 PM »
Well, I sure regret missing this upcoming USPSA Match, but am long obligated on the very same date for a trapshooting event [WASP-B] in Ashland, NE.

This date conflict is all the more kind of a downer because my USPSA Range Officer credentials just came in the mail yesterday.   

I had hoped to get the USPSA Match Official's permission on the next scheduled USPSA event to begin a working apprenticeship on the entry steps beyond the certification class.   Maybe shadow an experienced RO.  Run the timer.   Keep the score sheets.   Mind the Safe Area.   Patch targets.   Pick up brass.  Basic background scut-work where a newbie can learn how a USPSA match works.

The certification class is a good, solid beginning.   But only a beginning.   There's a considerable amount of procedural and rules material to absorb before ever actually working up front as an RO in a live USPSA match.   

So--- maybe the next time around.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 03:21:58 PM »
I had hoped to get the USPSA Match Official's permission on the next scheduled USPSA event to begin a working apprenticeship on the entry steps beyond the certification class.   Maybe shadow an experienced RO.  Run the timer.   Keep the score sheets.   Mind the Safe Area.   Patch targets.   Pick up brass.  Basic background scut-work where a newbie can learn how a USPSA match works.

Actually, all you need to do it show up and shoot the match.  Everyone pastes targets, paints steel, and helps picks up brass.  We don't have anyone standing on the Safety Area, so that isn't an issue. 

We WILL, however, have you run some shooters, and score targets.  You'll always be paired with at least one experienced RO (maybe more), so you'll have backup to help out, and you'll trade off running shooters on various stages. 

You don't need special permission from the MD or anything---just show up to the match and let the registration person know you just got your RO ticket.

We'll appreciate the help!

(That's a hint to all the other new ROs, by the way...  :) )

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 03:56:21 PM »
(That's a hint to all the other new ROs, by the way...

I recall about 18 attendees in the March RO class on Creighton University grounds.   Including the high school daughter of an NFOA Forum member, who was perfectly poised during the entire class/range process.

So--There's a pool of Newbie ROs for you to lasso and put to work.

Go Get 'Em.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 05:55:54 PM »
I recall about 18 attendees in the March RO class on Creighton University grounds.   Including the high school daughter of an NFOA Forum member, who was perfectly poised during the entire class/range process.

So--There's a pool of Newbie ROs for you to lasso and put to work.

She's actually one of my high school students.  :)

She was disappointed to not be able to shoot the Multigun match this past Sunday (too much lightning, darn it) and she just asked me yesterday when she gets to start running shooters in the match.  I told her "show up this Sunday."

That goes for all of the OTHER new ROs, too.  (Matter of fact, I know that at least four of the other new ROs from that class will be at the match, so we should have lots of new folks running shooters.  Which means I get to sit down for a little bit!  Yay!)

Classifiers are good stages for new ROs---they are normally very straightforward, and the shooters rarely do something wildly off-the-wall.  Good way to get more comfortable with being an RO.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 09:33:40 PM »
Classifiers are good stages for new ROs---they are normally very straightforward, and the shooters rarely do something wildly off-the-wall.  Good way to get more comfortable with being an RO.

Yes.  Right On.  Classifiers are known events.  A comfort to New ROs.

sfg

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 10:54:38 PM »
As long as it isn't raining, I'm planning on being at the range at about 6pm this Saturday to get a head start on setting up some of the classifier stages.  Anyone who has some free time is welcome to come by and lend a hand...  :)

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 04:22:49 PM »
Match is just 2 days away  :)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 08:34:10 PM »
Match is just 2 days away  :)

Anyone been practicing for it?

.....yeah, I haven't been out to the range yet either.  :(

(At least I've been doing my dryfire practice.)

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor