< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: In today's Urinal Star.....  (Read 8323 times)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
In today's Urinal Star.....
« on: May 07, 2014, 11:13:03 AM »

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
Re: In today's Urinal Star.....
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 01:41:57 PM »
Wow!

"There are no restrictions on open-carry in Lincoln; however, Police Chief Jim Peschong warned that openly carrying a gun could result in a citation for disturbing the peace, punishable by up to three months in jail and a fine of $150.

He said shootings like those at Sandy Hook Elementary in 2012 and at Virginia Tech in 2007 have left many people fearful of firearms. If the sight of a gun causes hysterics, and someone is willing to testify in court, police could issue a ticket, although officers might try to first resolve the situation by talking with the gun owner.
"

The standard for what is criminal is whether it drives someone else into a conniption fit of hysterics??  If that's the case I may be breaking the law just by entering the same room as my mother-in-law.

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »
Uhm.

Really ?

I guess a white guy shouldn't walk down a black neighborhood (or vice versa) - they're disturbing the peace.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 03:23:02 PM »
I bet the SAF would love to take that case.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: In today's Journal Star.....
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »
A kitchen swinging door, stays in the center, because there is equal pressure on both sides.

While I support the rights of people to enjoy their 2nd amendment, I fear, over pushing that right, in the face of others, and the face of government, could lead to my 2nd amendment rights being lowered, or removed.

Case in point, Starbucks.   Across the board policy changed for everyone, because a few, "in everyone's faces" folks, made a big deal about their rights.  Ruined it for everyone. 

Another case in point, Nebraska Furniture Mart.   They opened up their gun policy to be less restrictive, because as a company, they had no problems with gun owners over a long period of time.  Do you suppose if a open carry march would have ascended on their stores a few years ago, we would all be able to Concealed Carry in NFM today?  I doubt it. 

In the winter time, I grant sanctuary to a few bugs here and there.  I just push them aside, and tell them to hide from my wife, the bug smasher.  In the spring, if I see a bug, I turn it loose outside.   Now if a bug is bothering my space, in a assault mode, I revert to my wife's policy on bugs.  The ones that stay out of my way, I'll do the same for them.  I see carrying a gun, in that same light.  I keep my business, my business, and others do not need to know my business. 

(I corrected your typo.  I know you would not want to do that to discredit that newspaper, or yourself)

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 04:22:54 PM by Gary »

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 04:41:39 PM »
Looks like all the Omaha non resident complainers of how bad it is here have a new target!  HAHA

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 04:45:42 PM »
He said shootings like those at Sandy Hook Elementary in 2012 and at Virginia Tech in 2007 have left many people fearful of firearms. If the sight of a gun causes hysterics, and someone is willing to testify in court, police could issue a ticket, although officers might try to first resolve the situation by talking with the gun owner.

Sounds like he's a fan of Holders. 

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 05:21:31 PM »
A kitchen swinging door, stays in the center, because there is equal pressure on both sides.

This may be, but that is a far cry from the Police Chief making blatantly obvious threats of kidnapping and theft against law abiding citizens.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 05:32:38 PM »
While I support the rights of people to enjoy their 2nd amendment, I fear, over pushing that right, in the face of others, and the face of government, could lead to my 2nd amendment rights being lowered, or removed.

Good thing our Forefathers didn't think that way.

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 09:31:19 PM »
This is exactly why I was suprised to hear many of you encouraging ms. michaela (sp?) and several others to open carry in Lincoln in the past here on this forum.  I believe one of our own members was also charged last year and it was discussed on this forum. 

In the past I  brought this topic up and was poopooed that this is America, 2nd amend right blah blah blah and you can open carry all you want in Lincoln.  I do know that it has been the policy of LPD for many years (to the beginning of the Tom assady admin) or longer to issue for disturb the peace for open carry.  No disrespect to anyone, but it is interesting to me that this is new news to so many of you. 

Im glad that the new chiefs policy has been aired openly to us, and now we can decide if this is an issue that the NFOA wants to challenge.

66bigblock

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 09:53:45 PM »
I believe one of our own members was also charged last year and it was discussed on this forum. 

I don't particularly recall this being discussed ? Been a bumpy year though.

As far as the notion of OC = immediate DtP citation ? If I'm OC'ing a polite / respectful way and get a citation out of the blue simply for having a weapon on my hip, then yes, I would raise holy hell over the matter.

It's a very sad day when law abiding citizens are outright threatened by police officers based on a whim.

IE:

If I'm buying groceries and an officer cites me out of the blue then, yeah. I'd be pissed. As in there is no way they could ignore me pissed.

If I'm buying groceries and am asked to leave and refuse to do so - an officer showing up and issuing a DtP at least has some air of validity (discussion of which is beside the point for this comment - refusing to leave when ya have a firearm on your hip could be considered coercion etc).

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 12:16:24 AM »
My support of the Second Amendment, goes farter than anyone I know.  I give liberally to the NRA, have for years.  I give to GOA, and about a half dozen other groups.  I give free guns safety classes. 
Good thing our Forefathers didn't think that way.

There is a difference between blowing your nose, because it needs blowing, and doing so in a discrete manor, and blowing your nose, in a disorderly manor, and everyone wonders where all the snot is going, as it flies around the room. 

I see hundreds of you tube videos, show disrespectful morons trying to get attention, and then hoping for a confrontation with law enforcement over 2nd amendment. 

I am 57, and I have never once gotten into a clash with an officer of the law, and I have carried for 30 plus years.     If I changed my attitude, downward, I could manage to get into mischief long before noon tomorrow.

It just depends what your goals are.  If ones goal is to disrupt, and cause a scene, that can be done.  If one wants to walk like a Asian priest on rice paper, no one will ever know. 

A famous person once remarked (Zig Ziggler) if you jump off a building, you do not break the law of gravity, you confirm it.    I do not wish to break, or confirm the 2nd amendment, I wish to quietly bask in it, for my own enjoyment, and protection.   I don't joyfully and openly show my love for it, I quietly go about my business, and enjoy my rights as an American. 

If I were going to try open carry, it might be under this idea.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:40:18 AM by Gary »

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 07:58:30 AM »
My support of the Second Amendment, goes farter than anyone I know.  I give liberally to the NRA, have for years.  I give to GOA, and about a half dozen other groups.  I give free guns safety classes. 
There is a difference between blowing your nose, because it needs blowing, and doing so in a discrete manor, and blowing your nose, in a disorderly manor, and everyone wonders where all the snot is going, as it flies around the room. 

Perhaps you need to widen your circle of 2nd Amendment friends.  I know that neither you nor I are the only ones giving "liberally" to the NRA, GOA, SAF, NFOA and a number of other 2nd Amendment-friendly groups.  I also know that actions speak louder than dollars and that there are a good number of NFOA members who donate dozens or hundreds of hours of their time each year in support of the 2nd Amendment.  You're definitely not alone in contributing a significant amount of money and time in support of the 2nd Amendment.

I get what you're saying about being discreet.  There's a time for being discreet and there's a time for pushing the issue.  If the colonists had remained discreet, we might well still be a colony of England.

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:"

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 08:35:41 AM »
http://journalstar.com/news/local/group-wears-guns-to-promote-open-carry/article_d2dd3e42-107c-5af9-b9f0-fae2d0f79587.html

Words escape me.... particularly regarding Chief Peschong .....
'

I am not surprised what so ever about Peschong reply. He gave me the same BS answer when I asked him why he wouldn't sign NFA forms. He is hiding behind Sandyhook and mass shooting as a way to make him look like he is trying to make the world a safer place.

How a man in his line of work can make such a long career for himself is beyond me.... But I am learning in my life that the back door political brown nosers are the ones that always make it to the top...

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 08:43:14 AM »

If one wants to walk like a Asian priest on rice paper, no one will ever know.

Holy cow! I come here for the RKBA discussions, but stay for the metaphors and similes.

I have to say, I continue to lean slightly in your direction on this one, Gary. I'm upset at the idea that purposefully-in-your-face-to-make-a-fashion/political-statement OC would be deemed illegal, but I'm also a bit disappointed that people would put fashion over "tactical" (I hate that now-trite word) soundness. Even some of the Urban Liberal Castrati commenting at the bottom of the LJS page wondered, validly, how smart it is to have your sidearm exposed while holding a baby.

Another person posted a question about a Jeff Cooper citation last night and I was looking through my Coper books. In To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth, he postulates that a sidearm is always your "Plan B".  I'm still not convinced that it's wise to walk around announcing to the world, HEY, WORLD... HERE'S MY PLAN B! AIN'T I COOL!?!   It's like driving around with a bumper sticker announcing you have a million dollar liability umbrella policy.

To be clear... NOT saying OC should be illegal, ever. Just saying it's incumbent upon firearm owners to be the standard bearers of common sense, and "purpose".
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:47:54 PM by feralcatkillr »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 09:32:36 AM »
Even some of the Urban Liberal Castrati commenting at the bottom of the LJS page wondered, validly, how smart it is to have your sidearm exposed while holding a baby.

I'm rather curious what the issue with this would be.  Or are they thinking somehow that exposed firearm will give off harmful rays and hurt the child, which wouldn't happen if it were concealed?

What's the issue?

Gary said: 

I'm thinking that your statement ended up being more hilarious than you might have meant. 

I also think that attempting to set yourself up as better in some way due to your "support" is a poor idea, as it has nothing to do with whether or not your thinking is logical or correct, and it may even be based on incorrect statements as I'm pretty sure that in this forum there are plenty of people who support the 2nd amendment just as much as you do, and in some cases, for much longer. 

Gary also said, in his usual metaphoric fashion: 

Amazing how somehow that is supposed to relate to a group of people who met in a eating place for a quiet dinner together while open carrying, where there were no issues at all, including with other diners.  The article even had to ask someone (who wasn't there) from a specific anti-gun group to make up a negative statement about a possible issue that never actually occurred, just to get something to argue about.

In other words---the metaphor fails.  It is legal to open carry.  People who behave like normal people while open carrying don't cause problems.  Evidence:  this article, in which there were no problems. 

If someone wants to be "in people's faces" about open carry, the problem is their attitude, not the open carry part.  Yes, that reflects on us all---but the problem isn't the open carrying, so all this absolute CRAP about "being discreet" is just that---crap. 

I agree that indeed making a loud scene to provoke a response is not what will make the best impression, and will actually be detrimental to the 2nd amendment cause.  However, making that to mean "so no one should open carry, and we should criticize the people who do because they aren't being discreet" is absolute nonsense.

Open carry is legal.  A group of people did so in a polite fashion without incident.  People who weren't even there who can't come up with any coherent logical reasons had issues with it----but when do we listen to idiots?  And most importantly, when did we start making our choices based on the opinions of idiots?

I don't happen to open carry.  Not a personal choice I would make.  Yet that doesn't have anything to do with whether or not people CAN or SHOULD open carry if they want to.

I believe one of our own members was also charged last year and it was discussed on this forum. 

I don't recall this.  Who was charged with disturbing the peace for open carrying legally?  What thread discussed that?

And what happened with it?  (Because I'm pretty sure if the citation for disturbing the peace merely for open carrying went to court, not only would it fail, but it would have made big news.)

...to sum up:  If you don't like open carry, then don't do it.  But if other people do it in a legal fashion, AND you actually support the 2nd amendment (as opposed to the aspects you like of the 2nd amendment, or the manner of the 2nd amendment that you feel is proper), then perhaps you should support them, and keep mentioning to people that not only was it not an issue, but that the media had to actually to go to someone who wasn't even there who made up an non-existent event to find an issue to argue.

In other words---perhaps you should support the people who open carry legally in a fashion that also supports the 2nd amendment.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Gantry

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 09:36:03 AM »
Another case in point, Nebraska Furniture Mart.   They opened up their gun policy to be less restrictive, because as a company, they had no problems with gun owners over a long period of time.

A look behind the scenes would show that NFM’s “sudden” change on carry policy coincides with their desire to open a store in Texas.  Their advisors down South explained that sauntering into Texas as a “No Guns” business would be a death knell for a yet to be built store.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 10:56:21 AM »
In other words---perhaps you should support the people who open carry legally in a fashion that also supports the 2nd amendment.

Maybe it really is all about fashion.  As long as your firearm doesn't clash with your outfit, it's OK to carry openly.  Otherwise, conceal that hog leg so I don't have to see your fashion faux pas.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 10:59:55 AM »
I'm still not convinced that it's wise to walk around announcing to the world, HEY, WORLD... HERE'S MY PLAN B! AIN'T I COOL!?!  

When I open carry, it has nothing to do with being cool ... or fashion.

In the "for what it's worth" category, I've been "contacted" by (small town) law enforcement while open carrying with no negative results. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 11:14:31 AM »
Maybe it really is all about fashion.  As long as your firearm doesn't clash with your outfit, it's OK to carry openly.  Otherwise, conceal that hog leg so I don't have to see your fashion faux pas.

Sidearms should be tasteful, and accessorize well?  :)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com