< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Just Had My First Squib Load  (Read 777 times)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
Just Had My First Squib Load
« on: May 15, 2014, 01:41:25 PM »
I just had my first squib load at the range, after having fired many tens of thousands of rounds in my lifetime.  Thank God I knew enough to inspect the pistol after the shot didn't feel right.  It wasn't a big deal to take the Glock apart and remove the bullet, and then I fired another three boxes with no problem.  But if I didn't know about squib loads and didn't inspect the pistol it could have been a really big deal.  So this post is to warn everyone that squib loads do happen, and to watch for them.  Or more accurately feel for them.

The ammo was from Freedom Munitions, remanufactured, 9mm 124 GR RN; the number on the box was 5001600407.  I've fired thousands of rounds from this manufacturer and this is the first defective round I've had.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:12:27 AM by depserv »
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Just Had My First Squib Load
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 02:20:18 PM »
Good job on catching it.  Squibs can happen even with quality manufacturers.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 02:20:36 PM »
I just had my first squib load at the range, after having fired many tens of thousands of rounds in my lifetime.  Thank God I knew enough to inspect the pistol after the shot didn't feel right.  It wasn't a big deal to take the Glock apart and remove the bullet, and then I fired another three boxes with no problem.  But if I didn't know about squib loads and didn't inspect the pistol it could have been a really big deal.  So this post is to warn everyone that squib loads do happen, and to watch for them.  Or more accurately feel for them.

The ammo was from Freedom Munitions, remanufactured, 9mm 124 GR RN; the number on the box was 5001600407.  I've fired thousands of rounds from this manufacturer and this is the first defective round I've had.

Strangely enough, this same thing happened to me at a class last weekend. Casing was completely black, bullet lodged barely into the rifling (a 2nd round wouldn't even chamber).

Also freedom munitions 124gr 9mm RN. It was "factory new" (not reloaded). I'll check the box # when I get home.

We may want to let them know... If two people just in Nebraska had a problem with that particular load they likely have a lot of others out there.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 03:45:59 PM »
I notified them; gave them the lot number and told them that the shell casing had black soot or something all over it.  You might want to notify them too.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:48:18 PM by depserv »
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 04:55:37 PM »
told them that the shell casing had black soot or something all over it.

Could this just be because a lot of the gas that would have been expelled out the barrel was trapped by the bullet?

bullet lodged barely into the rifling (a 2nd round wouldn't even chamber)

That's the best kind to have.

Wish there was a way to demonstrate a squib to all new gun owners.  There are LOTS of people who have never heard of it.  I had one due to my reloading inexperience and distractions/issues with the press.  I'm glad it happened because now I that I have experienced it, I hopefully will recognize it if it happens again.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum