< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Best day this year for shooting!  (Read 3951 times)

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
Best day this year for shooting!
« on: May 17, 2014, 12:11:54 PM »
When's the last day we had warm weather and NO WIND to speak of? The vehicle is loaded and ready to go with two kids' savage rascals, dad's brand new Big Boy version of the rascal (savage Mark 1g) a brand new Ruger SR22, a Ruger Bearcat, and a bunch of 22 ammo from the stockpile.  8)
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Best day this year for shooting!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:00:16 PM »
Best day this year for shooting!

Yes, 'tis indeed...........

Wuz gonna go Lincoln Trap and Skeet for their 250-doubles (500 targets) Great Shoot-out Hoo-rah today.

But.....  To do so, you hadda register at 8am, which means getting up at O-Dark Whatever to get from Omaha to Lincoln on time.   Shoot started at 9am.   

Further, If I read the announcement correctly, it was $21/100 targets, or $105 Buck$ total  (Surely I read it incorrectly.........)

Plus...got other stuff to do today in Omaha.

So--in consequence of all this, I instead went to the newly re-opened Harry A. Koch Trap & Skeet Range here in Omaha.  Shot 250 trap doubles targets at $8/100, total = 20 Buck$.   Saved some time and money doing it that way.   And got a little tired there at the end, so wouldn'ta made it through 500 targets any ways, most likely.

Like the Killer said, it was a Best Day for Shooting.  Most of all, met some nice people and had Fun.   Even broke some targets, which is encouraging, since I have just taken up trap doubles a bit over a month ago.

Coming after that Famous Trap Doubles Shooter, Andy Allen.

sfg 
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 06:22:26 PM »
It was indeed good, in the end. The new SR22 gobbled up all five types of ammo that I fed it, so I'm glad I got A Good One.  Now time for a Martini: 3 to 1 ratio of Boodles and Noilly Prat.

Glad SFG's day was good too!

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 05:38:26 AM »
sfg, could've come and shot the IDPA match at the ikes range.   Nice weather, nice guys, just about perfect.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 09:12:14 AM »
[quote]sfg, could've come and shot the IDPA match at the ikes range[/quote]

Well, please believe that such possibility was Duly Noted on my Saturday event planner screen.

However, the time of day for the IDPA Match at Lincoln Ike's directly overlaid another very significant family memorial event here in Omaha which had to receive top priority.

So I did the trap shoot in Omaha in the very early afternoon and then scooted directly to the priority event immediately afterward.

I'm closely monitoring the IDPA and USPSA events and intend to attend whenever possible.

sfg
Note to The Feral Cat Fancier:   Folks who claim they Know say that you're supposed to pour the gin and then just whisper "Vermouth" across the top of the glass.  Good to see that you didn't include Bombay or Tanqueray in the recipe.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:15:45 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 10:41:02 AM »
Missed the chance yesterday, and by the looks of the leafy trees, today is gonna BLOW!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 10:42:06 AM »
But more importantly, how'd the kids do?
Pics are most encouraged!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 02:54:54 PM »
But more importantly, how'd the kids do?
Pics are most encouraged!

Did great! And generally I take pics or video on the ipad, but was loaded down with a ton of guns, ammo, targets, and several 5-gallon buckets full of tin and aluminum cans that we saved up over the winter.

Usually my 11 y.o. shoots from a bench but we did some sitting, prone and standing. The Rascals come with sling studs so I wish someone made a commensurately tiny military sling, to show him how a sling is more than just something to carry your rifle with. I might have to take a full-size one and modify it.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 03:09:19 PM »
Note to The Feral Cat Fancier:   Folks who claim they Know say that you're supposed to pour the gin and then just whisper "Vermouth" across the top of the glass.

Taste is subjective, but those people would be wrong. With all due respect to Churchill (1:0) and Hemingway (15:1), perfection is somewhere in the 3 to 5:1 range.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 03:38:48 PM »
However, the time of day for the IDPA Match at Lincoln Ike's directly overlaid another very significant family memorial event here in Omaha which had to receive top priority.

Something is more important than shooting? :o

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 03:46:25 PM »
One word, catkiller, paracord. Custom length, custom colors.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 05:19:10 PM »
Something is more important than shooting?

Yes.   Some things actually are.   This case is One Such.   Bear with me please for a bit of soul baring here.

Some years ago my son John became ill with an ugly, evil disease known as ALS (so-called Lou Gehrig's Disease.)
   We all watched in horror while this monster relentlessly stole from him first his mobility and then his life.   The steps are gradual paralysis, then inevitable suffocation because the victim's diaphragm quits working.   The whole process took two years.

He was tall, handsome, strong, and of high character.   He was my Best Friend and Best Hunting Buddy ever.   He left a lovely wife and two fine boys, my grandsons.   For years I couldn't even think of hunting and never went near my Man Cave.   Eventually, as we all can see, things changed.

Yesterday would have been his 46th birthday.   We gathered around his grave, held hands, prayed, sang "Happy Birthday", and released a rainbow of helium balloons to the bright blue sunny sky.   Like we do every year on his birthday.

You nailed it, Don. [/b]  There are things more important than shooting.

Like I said, please bear with me for a bit of soul baring.

sfg

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 06:37:36 PM »
There are things more important than shooting.

I was being mildly facetious Ken, I know there are more important things.  Family is definitely one of them.
But, I look forward to seeing you at any match we can both make.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 03:02:56 PM »

Coming after that Famous Trap Doubles Shooter, Andy Allen.

sfg 

Just noticed this, Someone gave you some bad info.  I am a horrible trap shooter, and doubles are even worse.  The daughter has some good days but she has surpassed me. 

I have had a bit of luck on skeet doubles, but the singles put me out of it.  For some reason on the skeet doubles I relax and just feel the target where any of the others I tend to overthink the aim and lead.  Perhaps that's because I'm a bird hunter and the speed of the skeet doubles kind of substitutes for the adrenaline kick of a bid flushing.