< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Sources of blue 55 gal water drums in the Omaha area  (Read 7136 times)

Offline LTCetme

• NFOA Full Member
Sources of blue 55 gal water drums in the Omaha area
« on: May 22, 2014, 08:10:41 PM »
Title pretty much covers it.

I'm about to buy some water storage drums for potable water. After searching around online all I've come up with are shady sources of used ones (questionable contents or not blue) or new ones for a pretty penny (best price I've seen on a bare bones drum was $80.

The thought occurred to me that there may be some available locally if I only knew where. Not seeing much on Craigslist. Anyone only sources for them in the Omaha area?

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Sources of blue 55 gal water drums in the Omaha area
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 08:49:43 PM »
Be careful, the windshield washer solvent we use at the shop comes in blue plastic 55 gallon barrels.

I would suggest someplace like Kellogs, the Pepsi or Coke distribution centers, places like that.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline LTCetme

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 09:48:42 PM »
Those are good ideas for places to look. I called the lucky bucket brewery and asking them but when I've called before I just get an automated menu. Kelloggs and the bottling plant are a good idea though.

At some point I suppose I will just have to suck it up and buy some new ones but I just hoped I could score a couple for cheap.

On a related note I was searching for a seal-able steel drum for generator gas (smaller ones ~30gal). I thought the local quick lubes would have them but they all seem to access the pony drums by punching a hole directly into them. After that hole is punched the most potential they have is trash cans.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 10:33:40 PM »
I run across stuff like this occasionally, I'll keep my eyes peeled for you.  8)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline LTCetme

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 10:56:42 PM »
http://jonesbarrel.com/

Just located these guys online. I will call tomorrow to see what they want for a barrel and if they are food grade and what the pricing is like.

They are in Omaha.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 07:42:31 AM »
When I made my smoker I found a steel drum on Ebay that had previously held food grade oil.  I don't recall the price but it was very reasonable, even after shipping.  You might be able to find something there.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 08:07:13 AM »
We have some of the 30s at the shop, I'll see if they are interested in letting them go. We have a bunch of 55s, most have had oil in them if anyone is interested- Lincoln area. I'll ask Monday what the plans are.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 10:21:51 AM »
Here's my $0.02 on purchasing used barrels for potable water.  It's going to be virtually impossible to remove all potential contaminants.  You can wash, scrub, bleach and otherwise clean until your face is as blue as the barrel, but the simple fact is they'll never be "clean".  Even the smallest particulate can turn into mold or bacteria.  Be sure to filter and purify your water before you drink it if you store it in used barrels.

Offline LTCetme

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 11:15:02 PM »
Yeah the more I look into them the more it looks like I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get new ones shipped in.

http://www.bayteccontainers.com/plastic-water-drum-55-gallon.html

This looks to be the best deal out there $80 each shipped for new blue 55 gal drums. I may keep looking for used water containers in the 15-30 gallon range for more portability to augment the supply.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 11:50:04 PM »
 Ive bought quite a few food grade barrels from Jones barrel. tell them what you want it for and they will make sure the barrel came from a original food one, make sure it has standard bung holes, some use a fine thread that you will have trouble getting a spigot for,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline LTCetme

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »
Ive bought quite a few food grade barrels from Jones barrel. tell them what you want it for and they will make sure the barrel came from a original food one, make sure it has standard bung holes, some use a fine thread that you will have trouble getting a spigot for,

I called Jones last week and the woman said they would defiantly NOT suggest using any of their barrels for human consumption water due to (and I forget the exact name of the process) industrial cleaning process/agent they use. She said they would be fine to store rainwater or waste chemicals just not potable water. I was bummed.

I snagged a couple with free shipping from Baytec. We will see how they turn out...  I am still interested in a few smaller <20 gallon blue jugs though.

I really want a couple of these:  ;D
http://www.amazon.com/260-Gallon-Water-Storage-Tank/dp/B0072L86HE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400988147&sr=8-2&keywords=water+storage+tank

Offline BJT123

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 02:22:23 AM »
I bought a couple off Sams Club recently.  Probably slightly more expensive than some other sources but whatever.  I figured they'd have a better return policy in case they were damaged in shipping(which they weren't).  Very happy with them. 

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 11:34:05 AM »
I found a guy with food grade 55 gallon barrels, they had honey in them before so need to clean that out,  let me know if you want any,   they can be cleaned,      Bob      $50.00
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016