< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Eye Pro for Those of Us Fortunate Enough to Wear Glasses  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Eye Pro for Those of Us Fortunate Enough to Wear Glasses
« on: May 27, 2014, 05:20:21 PM »
(ahem)

I've never found a pair of "shooting glasses" that fit over my street glasses that were satisfactory.  In my ignorance, I thought my high powered prescription provided sufficient protection, i.e., my thick lenses were basically bulletproof.

Not so.  After reading this article,
 http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=457764&highlight=range+incident, I realized I needed to rethink my position.

So I bought a pair of these babies:

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Over-Spec-Ballistic-Glasses-Amber/dp/B007ZNTN7G/ref=pd_sim_sg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VJJ17FPT98ZMZVMFWK7

These make the military standard MIL-PRF-31013 3.5.1.1 Ballistic Resistance grade, which is pretty good.  Better than the Z87 standard.  They also come in clear.

So those of you who have the pleasure of shooting with me will get to see my new ultra-geek fashion statement.  But since even my old, myopic, glaucoma riddled eyes are worth protecting, I won't mind my new enhanced geek status. 

PS Yes, I know I can get prescription shooting glasses.  Decot HyWyds etc. But to "keep it real" I believe I should shoot with my street glasses so I'm working with my "normal" vision.   Progressive bifocals are a factor.  :)

I.C.E. Suppressors may be in my future.  I'm still researching.  Meanwhile, the Champions will suffice. 

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:25:33 PM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Eye Pro for Those of Us Fortunate Enough to Wear Glasses
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:20:44 AM »
You should train for reality so should I expect to see you wearing these around town?  Kind of reminds of our "BC" glasses from the military.....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:45:01 AM by bullit »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:13:23 AM »
You should train for reality so should I expect to see you wearing these around town?  Kind of reminds of our "BC" glasses from the military.....

Yep.  My wife will appreciate it, especially when I wear black socks with my sandals. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:47:56 AM »
I also have progressive lenses and use over the glasses shooting glasses. 

I need to look through the top half of my glasses when shooting.  This is no problem since head is usually leaned forward while shooting anyway. 

I can't even remember the brand but they were inexpensive (less than $20.00).

Edit-- These--> http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-Over-Prescription-Shooting-Glasses/dp/B003TWWT5A/ref=pd_sim_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FVJ6X8YXTEJ8HYZBKM9
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:50:14 AM by DenmanShooter »
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »
I also have progressive lenses and use over the glasses shooting glasses. 

I need to look through the top half of my glasses when shooting.  This is no problem since head is usually leaned forward while shooting anyway. 

I can't even remember the brand but they were inexpensive (less than $20.00).

Edit-- These--> http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-Over-Prescription-Shooting-Glasses/dp/B003TWWT5A/ref=pd_sim_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FVJ6X8YXTEJ8HYZBKM9

I got a pair of those.  They fit and look waaaaayyyy cool  8) but I don't think they meet the MIL-PRF-31013 3.5.1.1 Ballistic Resistance standard. 

Some light reading on ballistic eyewear.  Eye opening!  :)

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/eye-protection-shooting-glasses-review/