< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Book: Self-Defense Laws of All 50 States (2nd Edition)  (Read 766 times)

Offline TwoSwords

• Forum Member
Book: Self-Defense Laws of All 50 States (2nd Edition)
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
Self-Defense Laws of All 50 States (2nd Edition)  This book has been updated and is a great resource for learning about self-defense law.

It is unique in that it lists the statute and then the lawyer explains it in plain English with examples as needed.

The downside is that as the laws change it can become outdated rather quickly.  The positive is the Nebraska laws are not likely to change in the near future so it is worth the Kindle price  ($9.99) just for Nebraska in my opinion.

Make sure you get the (2nd Edition) not the older version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GRXUNJ2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p351_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=13N5E5FYRWTRMYYX0VK8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200422&pf_rd_i=507846

At the end it lists terms that are not defined in the Statutes or cases.  In Nebraska "Mutual Combat" is not defined, oddly enough as one example.

EXCERPT
(5) Except as required by subsections (3) and (4) of this section, a person employing protective force may estimate the necessity thereof under the circumstances as he believes them to be when the force is used, without retreating, surrendering possession, doing any other act which he has no legal duty to do, or abstaining from any lawful action.

[ This paragraph is confusing at best. It purports to relieve one of the duty to retreat, but it doesn’t apply to the use of deadly force. You must still retreat before you use deadly force if you can do so in complete safety unless at home or at work, unless you started the fight at home or at work, or unless the assailant is a co-worker. Pancho’s Wisdom – About as clear as mud, aye? Hey, just dictate this to your iPod and play it back while being attacked. Your legislators should simplify! ]

Vilos, Attorney Mitch; Vilos, Evan (2013-11-19). Self-Defense Laws of All 50 States (2nd Edition) (p. 250). Guns West Publishing, Inc.. Kindle Edition.