< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Off Duty LPD Brings Gun On School Property  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Kodiak

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Off Duty LPD Brings Gun On School Property
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
And you don't have to abide by state law. Otherwise  off duty cops wouldn't be able to take their guns into bars churches etc.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 03:17:59 PM »
Sounds like y'all need a new lawyer to come and speak.....the language is pretty clear .....
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:26:40 PM by bullit »

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 04:24:08 PM »
In my opinion, the letter turned a NON issue/NON event into an issue and was poor judgment on the part of school officials to ever send it out..............one more example of the failure of "Zero tolerance" policies

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 04:40:32 PM »
Any person who possesses a firearm in a school, on school grounds, in a school-owned vehicle, or at a school-sponsored activity or athletic event is guilty of the offense of unlawful possession of a firearm at a school. Unlawful possession of a firearm at a school is a Class IV felony. This subsection shall not apply to the issuance of firearms to or possession by members of the armed forces of the United States, active or reserve, National Guard of this state, or Reserve Officers Training Corps or peace officers or other duly authorized law enforcement officers when on duty or training,

What this says is that a Peace Officer with an issued or authorized firearm is exempt.

What it also says is that OTHER duly authorized law enforcement officers must be on duty or training.

Read it like this; Shall not apply to the issuance of firearms to or possession by peace officers.

If you read it using only one category at a time you should understand what I am saying. The use of the OR's simply replaces comma's.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 04:54:12 PM »
In my opinion, the letter turned a NON issue/NON event into an issue and was poor judgment on the part of school officials to ever send it out..............one more example of the failure of "Zero tolerance" policies

Definitely a failure, unless you take into account there is a large number of hold hands and sing Kumbya liberals in the public education system that think even Peace Officers should not be allowed to carry guns.

Whether it is a ccw or cop the headlines are always; My cousin sang in the church choir, that cop didn't have to shoot him just because he trying to run him down with a stolen car or Just because he was robbin' the place with a gun there was no need for that pig to shoot my baby etc......
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 05:22:49 PM »
My point on LEOSA applied to each individual state's statutes i.e. the off duty or retired LEO is compelled to obey whatever said state's CHP/firearms laws....it is not a blanket coverage any place any time. IMHO and limiting to only the topic of LEOs .... retired or off duty they SHOULD be allowed to carry with no exceptions and STUPID not to.....

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 05:43:37 PM »
My point on LEOSA applied to each individual state's statutes i.e. the off duty or retired LEO is compelled to obey whatever said state's CHP/firearms laws....it is not a blanket coverage any place any time. IMHO and limiting to only the topic of LEOs .... retired or off duty they SHOULD be allowed to carry with no exceptions and STUPID not to.....

I am not going to discuss any legalities with you guys because almost everything you are saying is a learning experience for me. But I agree with you bullit. 

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 05:52:05 PM »
I'm just basing it off the lawyer who talked to us about it.

I would recommend having your lawyer review the law again, and ask for my money back if I spent any on that discussion.  Bullit gave correct information, there was a bill about off duty law enforcement having firearms on school grounds this year in the Legislature but I believe Ernie killed it.