< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NRA statement on attention-grabbing open carry antics  (Read 1751 times)

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
NRA statement on attention-grabbing open carry antics
« on: June 02, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »
Looks like the NRA has weighed in on the in-your-face shenanigans in Texas.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2014/5/good-citizens-and-good-neighbors-the-gun-owners-role.aspx

" ... Now we love AR-15s and AKs as much as anybody, and we know that these sorts of semiautomatic carbines are among the most popular, fastest selling firearms in America today.  Texas, independent-minded and liberty-loving place that it is, doesn't ban the carrying of loaded long guns in public, nor does it require a permit for this activity.  Yet some so-called firearm advocates seem determined to change this.

Recently, demonstrators have been showing up in various public places, including coffee shops and fast food restaurants, openly toting a variety of tactical long guns. Unlicensed open carry of handguns is legal in about half the U.S. states, and it is relatively common and uncontroversial in some places.

Yet while unlicensed open carry of long guns is also typically legal in most places, it is a rare sight to see someone sidle up next to you in line for lunch with a 7.62 rifle slung across his chest, much less a whole gaggle of folks descending on the same public venue with similar arms. 

Let's not mince words, not only is it rare, it's downright weird and certainly not a practical way to go normally about your business while being prepared to defend yourself. To those who are not acquainted with the dubious practice of using public displays of firearms as a means to draw attention to oneself or one's cause, it can be downright scary.  It makes folks who might normally be perfectly open-minded about firearms feel uncomfortable and question the motives of pro-gun advocates.

As a result of these hijinx, two popular fast food outlets have recently requested patrons to keep guns off the premises. ...  In other words, the freedom and goodwill these businesses had previously extended to gun owners has been curtailed because of the actions of an attention-hungry few who thought only of themselves and not of those who might be affected by their behavior. To state the obvious, that's counterproductive for the gun owning community.

More to the point, it's just not neighborly, which is out of character for the big-hearted residents of Texas. Using guns merely to draw attention to yourself in public not only defies common sense, it shows a lack of consideration and manners.  That's not the Texas way.  And that's certainly not the NRA way. ..."

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
Re: NRA statement on attention-grabbing open carry antics
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 06:57:02 AM »
that's certainly not the NRA way. ..."     

+1
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 07:01:27 AM »
As a Native Texican, I concur......

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 03:02:31 PM »
Why don't they support the Second Amendment? (/sarcasm)

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 06:33:23 PM »
Well, well, well..........

Yes. The plot thickens to be sure. That's why I posted the original without much editorial comment. While I agreed with the sentiment of the NRA/ILA blog, I thought the tone was surprisingly "casual", as if it hadn't been fully vetted by the organization's bureaucracy.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 07:11:48 PM »
Seems to me that the NRA is trying not to step on anyone's toes, but much like taking a your compound bow to the theater to watch a movie, it is going to seem weird and out of place. :o

I think the NRA had it right the first time.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »
The NRA was right to walk back the more insulting language, but it looks like they stand by the substance of the statement.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 06:06:31 AM »
As an 30+ year Life/Endowment NRA member and native Texan I support their original press release ..... and that is MY opinion and I am sticking to it ...

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 07:37:15 PM »
G&A The Best Concealed Carry States in 2013

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/10/24/8-24-2013-text-only/

I don't know what Texas is *****ing about. Looks like we should be the ones protesting.  :angry:

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 09:50:08 PM »
bullit,
I agree with your sentiment. The only issue was the language driving a wedge among the pro-2A side.