< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Oh Cabela's, you so crazy...  (Read 6890 times)

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Oh Cabela's, you so crazy...
« on: June 07, 2014, 10:06:40 PM »
Buddy had never set foot inside a Cabela's, so I viewed this as an excellent excuse to visit the hallowed grounds of ridiculous prices.

True to form, while browsing the rifle rack mine eyes lit upon not one, not two, not three, but FOUR tube-fed Marlins of the Model 60 variety.

One looked okay, one was good, and two were utterly beat to sh*t. Picked up the worst of the two, started to look it over, and then I saw the price tag.

$239.99 :o

None of them were under $200.

I bought a 95% Glenfield 60 from Scheels a few months back for $100.

It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Oh Cabela's, you so crazy...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 10:16:16 PM »
And they probably have less than $100 in each of them....

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 10:23:50 PM »
At Cabela's might as well buy new, not much difference in the price and with new alot of times you get a warranty.

There are places online where you get lifetime warranties for new or used regardless of the make or model.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 10:26:17 PM »
And they probably have less than $100 in each of them....

probably less than $50.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 10:32:14 PM »
I think that one HAS to be a inside joke. Been there a long time- if you talking about the one the one with the BBs stuck into the stock among all the gouges.

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 08:00:52 AM »
When I sold them a few guns months back an employee told me that they've had a problem with employees paying too much for used guns and on those they are trying to recoup some the money.  At least in my experience they pay 60% of the determined value of the gun. 

Offline deputygunner

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 11:03:57 AM »
Sometimes buying new there is cheaper than buying used. Sometimes you can get a bargain in the used area.  Back in March went to get a new CX4 they had on sale for $699.  Found one used in the Library with (2) 20rd magazines, and  the front rails for $550, and it was a good 95%.  Needless to say the used one came home.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 04:13:22 PM »
Sometimes buying new there is cheaper than buying used. Sometimes you can get a bargain in the used area.  Back in March went to get a new CX4 they had on sale for $699.  Found one used in the Library with (2) 20rd magazines, and  the front rails for $550, and it was a good 95%.  Needless to say the used one came home.

Yeah last fall I bought a Ruger Alaskan 454 that was listed as used.  Really couldn't tell what the story was since it looked brand new except for a small scratch.  A friend looked at the rifling and said it looks like it had been barely shot if at all and there was no line on the cylinder yet.  The seller was Sturm, Ruger & CO so maybe a display piece or something.  $799 was the price. 

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 08:26:02 AM »
You can buy a new one at Wally World for $167.   ???   Of course that's the new "Marlington" ilk.  I can see a really nice old one with the extended magazine tube fetching a higher price in very good condition, but it doesn't sound like that's the case here.

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline jlficken

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 09:16:56 AM »

I almost bought that used gun when I was there but I didn't want to spend money at the time.  I have purchased exactly 1 gun form Cabela's and it was a S&W 642 that was lightly used for $320 OTD about 3 years ago.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 08:51:27 PM »
I would rather pay a bit more and buy from an independent if it is someone I trust.  However, I have always gotten good deals at Cabelas. 

I went toe to toe with them over a rifle once and they did me right.  It was way overpriced and I told them so and they called me and made me an offer to sell it at a more reasonable price.

You have to know who to talk to.  And it also helps to complain to the home office. :)

I watch for sales and bargains and shop around A LOT when I am ready to buy.  I've never bought a gun on impulse, used or new. 

I know Cabelas has that reputation of being pricey but I was in Scheels in Lincoln the other day and I had to stuff my teeth back in my mouth after seeing some of their prices.  I did pick up a few good deals but mostly way over priced.

Just my 2 cents.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 09:28:47 AM »
Scheels is kind of strange on gun prices.  Their guns tend to be high, but occasionally you'll find a really good deal there.  Their reloading components seem to be pretty reasonable, though.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 09:57:50 AM »
I have talked with some of the guys at the gun counters at Bass Pro and at Scheels... not sure about Cabelas. They will match pricing with local compactors if the price and availability can be verified. Something to think about when sales flyers come out...

I wish Sheels had a better website for firearms and reloading supplies. It is just to far to drive to check for powder. It is my understanding each store can choose what they have for inventory within guidelines.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 10:23:25 AM »
Yeah, the Scheels website is pretty much worthless.  It would be nice if it actually showed in stock inventory at the stores.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 10:45:02 AM »
Yeah and good luck calling them and getting someone who knows what they're they are talking about...in either place!

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 11:04:16 AM »
Yeah and good luck calling them and getting someone who knows what they're they are talking about...in either place!

Try selling auto parts for 5 years... Welcome to minimum wage retail.   ;D Cheap bodies = lost sales in my experience.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 11:05:09 AM »
 I just bought a century arms copy of a H&K 93, every part is H&K except the receiver, they had a sale on these for $499, that's $200 off, Cabellas didn't have any of them in stock the first day of the sale, . but a woman I called said they would find me one, it took about 2 weeks, but they got it in, she went way beyond what most places would do, calling other stores, and shipping the gun in,   I am very happy with there service!
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 03:09:12 PM »
Cabela's at least has real layaway.  That is why I would consider them first for something if I couldn't find it locally.

Scheel's "layaway" is their store credit card.... 

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »
I take offense to that. I work there and have to admit we have some real sharp gun guys. A few of us are very well rounded and a couple people that are extremely competent with certain manufacturers/gun types. Most of the clueless ones are long gone.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 01:34:37 PM »
I take offense to that. I work there and have to admit we have some real sharp gun guys. A few of us are very well rounded and a couple people that are extremely competent with certain manufacturers/gun types. Most of the clueless ones are long gone.

Never intended that to be offensive. I know there are a couple guys that know their stuff in each location, I also know that the last few times I have called either place with a parts/product question, the typical response was "uhhh..."