< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: A lesson in NFOA history  (Read 3354 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
A lesson in NFOA history
« on: June 10, 2014, 02:26:19 PM »
I was at the recent GSSF match in Grand Island, as was Gunscribe.  He gave me a brief rundown on how the NFOA came to be.  I won't try to recreate the timeline, as I will undoubtedly get something wrong.  However, one thing that I can repeat without error is Gunscribe's appreciation for all the people who were instrumental early in the process that helped to make the concept of the NFOA a reality.  In addition, he expressed gratitude towards all the members who support the NFOA's cause.  Just being a member, even if you can not contribute monetarily or through volunteerism, makes the NFOA an organization that our state legislators can not disregard.

He especially expressed heartfelt appreciation for Chris Zeeb's work with the NFOA.  After Gunscribe's description of what Chris Z. did early in the NFOA history, I have an even greater respect for Chris.  He also gave well deserved credit to our very own forum dad, Dan Walz, for being active since the beginning, as well as several others who's names I can not remember.  I apologize for my poor memory and not giving specific credit where it is due. 

I wold like to personally present my thanks and pay homage to those who brought the NFOA into existence, from concept to reality, and to all those who continue to advance the NFOA cause.  Please join me in thanking past, present and future individuals that keep the NFOA a viable and thriving organization.

Another specific point I remember from my conversation with Gunscribe was the three fundamental principles that were the bedrock for founding the NFOA.  #1 Free membership.  #2 Internet based.  #3 An organization for ALL gun owners.  Years later, the NFOA continues to stand by these principles.

We also spoke about open carry.  While I don't OC, I was somewhat indifferent towards this aspect of gun ownership.  Gunscribe made some very interesting arguments for OC, and the positive aspects of doing so.   My personal thoughts on the subject have been that somewhere in gun owner's history of compromise, we have allowed the sight of a gun in public to be a reason for panic, or at the very least, apprehension.  The ignorant viewpoint of the general public (which describes me in recent history) that accepts concealed carry yet gasps at openly carried firearms, needs to be changed.  Sometimes it takes pioneers to push the envelope.  We have accepted too much compromise to appease ignorance, and maybe it is time for a Rosa Parks to precipitate a change.

If we don't have someone pushing for advancements in our 2A rights, they will slowly be chipped away with compromise.  If you have ever been involved in a contract negotiation, you will know that each party goes in asking for more than what they will be willing to accept.  In the end, you get what you want.  If we don't push back, we will lose ground. 

OF COURSE, this all needs to be done while respecting the rights of property owners.  It is possible that some of the recent OC in Texas could have been better thought out.  Personally I think that there should be less targeting of a specific chain/business so that there is no need for that business to make a national policy.  Regardless, those uninformed need to be less afraid of the firearm and more afraid of the lack of firearms.

These are my opinions, and you can disagree (as I know some will  ;D), but the main point of the thread is to be thankful for the NFOA. If we can't agree on OC, we can at least express our gratitude for having such an organization in Nebraska.

Finally (yes...I'm almost done), for those who really appreciate the NFOA, please see my old thread that I will not let die (Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is!), and do just a little something to help protect your rights.

Fly
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 08:33:30 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: A lesson in NFOA history
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »
Well said.  I figure the measly $10/month I signed up for is well worth my rights.

I agree on open carry, too.  If done correctly it's a good thing and shows the public that law abiding, armed citizens are no threat.  Just like anything else in life, it should be done intelligently, though. 

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 05:16:40 PM »
I personally would like to thank Gunscribe for all the work he has done to further our cause and everyone that donates and strives to make sure our 2A rights are here and strong for this generation to the next.

Hats off to you all.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:19:18 PM by farmerbob »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »
Thank you Fly for this post, and your work to keep folks interested in supporting NFOA.
It has been nice being a part of this growing organization, I have met people I never would have without it.
My feelings on OC are evolving as well, I am more inclined to support those who choose to OC, and will keep any criticism to myself.
(Unless someone is being stupid)

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 06:27:50 PM »
Well said FLY. And thanks to all that are active in whatever venue that you are comfortable with.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 11:51:49 AM »
Enough can't be said about Fly rallying members behind the NFOA.

Any group isn't any better than the sum of its members, so let's get behind the NFOA at Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is!
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 04:33:51 PM »
I've had respectful disagreements with Gunscribe on a couple of issues, but I will always be thankful to him and the others that got this organization running. Without NFOA, we may not have concealed carry in any form in this state. We would likely have had a number of encroachments pass the unicameral that have been prevented by the pressure this organization can bring to bear with it membership.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 06:53:50 PM »
Well said.  I figure the measly $10/month I signed up for is well worth my rights.

My thoughts exactly

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »
There was a group called "The Plainsmen" several years back that operated out of Lincoln that I contributed to. A friend of mine named Mike Riddle, an attorney from Papillion, was a member. The aim of that group was to secure Concealed Carry in the state. Was that group affiliated with, or a forerunner of, the NFOA?
WØCHF

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 09:53:33 PM »
There was a group called "The Plainsmen" several years back that operated out of Lincoln that I contributed to. A friend of mine named Mike Riddle, an attorney from Papillion, was a member. The aim of that group was to secure Concealed Carry in the state. Was that group affiliated with, or a forerunner of, the NFOA?
Very interesting....

I found this info on them...

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/talk.politics.guns/0cciLwyO0U0

$3 membership dues! I wonder if anyone that was affiliated is currently in the nfoa...

We need to make a short video on the history of the NFOA! Who is going to volunteer to play Ernie Chambers in the recreations?
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 10:28:43 PM »
Greybeard in short no!
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 11:04:18 PM »
I found this info on them...https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/talk.politics.guns/0cciLwyO0U0

jFade

I knew Larry Ball and there is no way I can see him or any group he belonged to having anything to do with a concealed carry law in the state of Nebraska.

Larry is one of the movers that got Initiative Measure 403 on the general ballot in 1988. It was meant to make Nebraska a Constitutional carry state in the same manner as Vermont. In fact the language between the Vermont State law, that state Supreme Court relied on to rule on constitutional carry, is virtually identical to IM # 403.

Larry was adamant that it was illegal for Nebraska to enact any gun laws pursuant to IM# 403. He often boasted that he had not been cited for CCW a number of times because of IM # 403.

Hopefully some will find the following articles informative:

http://nebraskanews.blogspot.com/2004/08/truth-about-concealed-carry-in.html

http://nebraskanews.blogspot.com/2005/05/state-vermont-v-rosenthal-v-nebraska.html

Here is what Brad Ashford pushed for 3 years after the people voted to prevent the state from passing any gun laws. More than once in the last twenty five years Ashford has given Nebraska gun-owners the finger. Send him to Washington and see what you get.

http://nebraskanews.blogspot.com/2004/09/what-part-of-do-not-have-power-dont.html

La Luz, NM

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 11:30:42 PM »
Here is a little information about Gunscribe to help you understand what he has done for our fight...

http://smallestminority.blogspot.com/2006/06/blogger-walks-walk.html

http://dontletmestopyou.blogspot.com/2006/06/gunscribe-makes-lincoln-journal-star.html

Fly

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 11:43:43 PM »
During the time that the bill LB 454, that became the Concealed Handgun Act, was being debated I vetted portions of an amendmant proposed by Ernie Chambers:

http://nebraskanews.blogspot.com/2005/04/senator-chambers-seeks-to-amend-lb454.html

Yes, Ernie actually introduced this as an amendmant.
La Luz, NM

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 12:32:21 AM »
Thank you both for the links! That amendment to a bill by Chambers was the most ridiculous piece of poo I have ever read in my life! What an A$$Hat....

I really enjoy reading about the recent history of Nebraska gun laws! I am up past my bedtime & only quickly read the articles on the links but I look forward to reReading them tomorrow! 

Thank You GunScribe for all of your work, past/present/& future!
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 12:33:14 AM »
During the time that the bill LB 454, that became the Concealed Handgun Act, was being debated I vetted portions of an amendmant proposed by Ernie Chambers:

http://nebraskanews.blogspot.com/2005/04/senator-chambers-seeks-to-amend-lb454.html

Yes, Ernie actually introduced this as an amendmant.

Actually this doesn't even surprise me.  If that Alpha Hotel spent more time actually working to propose worthwhile legislation than he does trying disrespect the system, he might actual be worth two turds.

Fly

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 08:18:52 AM »
When starting NFOA and fighting for Concealed Carry, Larry Ball was often pretty abusive in his tone towards me..... He seemed to have just fell of the face of the earth until he made the news in the not to distant past:   

http://journalstar.com/news/local/911/charges-dropped-against-man-handing-out-religious-fliers/article_66815e0a-eb70-5e62-9857-fb447addec2b.html

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 07:55:30 AM »
Thanks to all of you for fighting for our rights and getting the NFOA started. Gunscribe your articles are very good reading material, thanks for what you did.