< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Concealed Carry and contact with Law Enforcement  (Read 8776 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Concealed Carry and contact with Law Enforcement
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 06:35:12 PM »
Ok, I was going to contact the LEO, but if there is a question to what was said, I will drop it here.
Although I HAVE heard this sentiment from multiple sources, maybe I will take it up with NSP, etc.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:40:13 PM by NE Bull »
β€œIt is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline DRech

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »
As an LEO, there is a couple hundred ways for an LEO to misinterpret your intentions.  One example is during the course of the traffic stop, your handgun starts to fall on the floor. You make a quick move to grab it, and the next thing you know you were standing at the pearly gates.  I have not, so far at least, ever run across a CCW holder that I was particularly worried about, but that does not mean every person who has a CCW is  Pro Police.  In fact it may be very much the opposite.  Don't assume every LEO is going to run a check on you every time.  He may have just received a priority call and he has to run.... and he walks back up to see a gun some where you thought he could not see it.  I don't like surprises.  and yes we have arrested more than a couple knuckle heads who were armed and did not tell us.  I would think you would want to say it first thing just in case you had a little brain lapse and thought you left your handgun at home and but had it all along. Saying it does not hurt anything.  Its just good insurance.  (Nobody out there who ever left their wallet at home or locked their keys in their car??) Remember LEO's have families and house payments and all that,.... and we want to see the sun come up tomorrow just like you do. Lastly, I really don't care if someone is offended,  My duty is to stay alive and keep myself safe so I can protect others. I will continue to do that the best way I know how. 

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 03:51:31 AM »
As an LEO, there is a couple hundred ways for an LEO to misinterpret your intentions.  One example is during the course of the traffic stop, your handgun starts to fall on the floor. You make a quick move to grab it, and the next thing you know you were standing at the pearly gates.  I have not, so far at least, ever run across a CCW holder that I was particularly worried about, but that does not mean every person who has a CCW is  Pro Police.  In fact it may be very much the opposite.  Don't assume every LEO is going to run a check on you every time.  He may have just received a priority call and he has to run.... and he walks back up to see a gun some where you thought he could not see it.  I don't like surprises.  and yes we have arrested more than a couple knuckle heads who were armed and did not tell us.  I would think you would want to say it first thing just in case you had a little brain lapse and thought you left your handgun at home and but had it all along. Saying it does not hurt anything.  Its just good insurance.  (Nobody out there who ever left their wallet at home or locked their keys in their car??) Remember LEO's have families and house payments and all that,.... and we want to see the sun come up tomorrow just like you do. Lastly, I really don't care if someone is offended,  My duty is to stay alive and keep myself safe so I can protect others. I will continue to do that the best way I know how. 

Thank you for your service! 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2014, 11:54:28 AM »
You are carrying.
You walk up to the door of Walmart just as a police cruiser pulls up.  You and the officer exchange polite words.  You continue into the store. He stops at the "Not an Exit" door in the lobby and knocks for entry.

During the brief conversation would you inform him?

Do you see a need to, since he didn't "stop" you?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2014, 12:12:44 PM »

Probably not contact at that point.

But as far as I'm concerned, the very next interaction or exchange would be contact, simply because of the sustained interaction aspect.

At that point, I would say, "Officer, you should know that..............."

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2014, 02:03:03 PM »
How about when you pull into a way station and a DOT officer yells from 30 ft. away if I'm loaded, I yell back empty, he waves me through. The whole time I wait for my turn in line with driver license and CHP in hand fully expecting the first thing out of my mouth is I have a CHP and armed, yet all I said was empty.

Some how I feel I just broke the law. (technically, I think I did) But who wants to yell out the fact they have a gun.

To many gray areas in this law, I would personally like the  informing while carrying law done away with, after all a LEO job description is more in line with things that are breaking the law not lawful things. This runs along the lines of harassment.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:07:22 PM by farmerbob »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
People who are lawfully carrying a concealed handgun have families and would like to go home to them at the end of the day. I have read several studies lately that have come back with the same findings that people with a CHP are more law abiding than LEO's. (Who really should be worrying about who?)
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2014, 04:39:24 PM »
You are carrying.
You walk up to the door of Walmart just as a police cruiser pulls up.  You and the officer exchange polite words.  You continue into the store. He stops at the "Not an Exit" door in the lobby and knocks for entry.

During the brief conversation would you inform him?

Only if he needs your assistance in obtaining some .22 LR  .....  :)

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2014, 08:52:44 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but the law reads OFFICIAL contact with a LEO - as in they stopped you for some specific reason. Having a chat with a LEO no matter how long doesn't meet the OFFICIAL contact criteria.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2014, 09:49:47 PM »
For the life of me I can't figure out how the obligation to advise makes the LEO safer.  I think it is pretty likely that all the reports showing the CHP holders are the most law abiding of society is accurate.  But lets say we had a person with a CHP that was a bad person intent on doing bad things to the LEO.  Would they inform the LEO that they were carrying?  Maybe they would thinking the LEO would drop their guard a little, but I highly doubt it.  So what does the requirement gain the LEO?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2014, 10:43:28 PM »
For the life of me I can't figure out how the obligation to advise makes the LEO safer.  I think it is pretty likely that all the reports showing the CHP holders are the most law abiding of society is accurate.  But lets say we had a person with a CHP that was a bad person intent on doing bad things to the LEO.  Would they inform the LEO that they were carrying?  Maybe they would thinking the LEO would drop their guard a little, but I highly doubt it.  So what does the requirement gain the LEO?

Fly
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^EXACTLY^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:11:01 AM by farmerbob »

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2014, 01:04:39 AM »
I personally have great respect for law enforcement officers and I do understand they have a hard job. In my limited interactions with LEO's I inform them whether I'm carrying or not, I just think it's the right thing to do, yet I don't think it should be the law.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2014, 09:02:05 AM »

Only if he needs your assistance in obtaining some .22 LR  .....  :)

Hey,  friendship goes only so far....   :laugh:  but I'd be more than willing to help him find a good website!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:08:01 AM by GreyGeek »