< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: FeralCatKillr FrogLubeLuv  (Read 1265 times)

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
FeralCatKillr FrogLubeLuv
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:11:08 PM »
We shot the heck out of three different .22 rimfires this weekend: a Ruger SR-22, Ruger Bearcat, and a Savage Mark 1 single shot rifle. All are relatively new and had a few hundred rounds down the barrels previously, but nothing like this weekend's quantity.

As new-ish guns I wanted to put them through their paces with a big variety of loads to see what they liked best, and in the case of the Savage, to sight it in for the first time at longer range of 75-100 yds. We went though many, many, MANY hundreds of rounds of various .22lr: high, standard and hyper velocity, plated and unplated, expensive stuff and cheapie bulk pack, clean burning and dirty burning.

All of these guns been treated with "Froglube" paste that I got from Amazon as soon as I bought them. Let me tell 'ya... when I went to clean these things, my admiration for Froglube grew even greater. All the sooty residue just wiped off. And the barrels were unbelievable; just a couple passes with a patch and they were as clean as a whistle.

No affiliation with the company. Just really, really impressed. Been cleaning guns for a long time and just was very surprised that the cleanup was that easy after firing that much .22.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: FeralCatKillr FrogLubeLuv
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:17:06 PM »
Some tests are showing a couple other products protect against rust better.  CLP being one.

The problem with religion and politics (and lube threads) is everyone comes up with their own way of doing things.

Myself, I like PTFE

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:33:07 PM »
I run FrogLube on every gun I own, from my 1891 Argentine to my Shield. It. Just. Works.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:46:43 PM »
NRA has a high tech wonder lube set of products.   I tried them on a pocket knife I purchased on a Sunday afternoon at a gun show.  Monday when I looked at the knife, the NRA lube had weakened the plastic to the point the springs in the spline grenade-ed.    I had also oiled a Glock 20 that same day.  I hot footed it right over to the gun safe expecting to find a melted Glock.  The Glock was fine, but I have still suspended (pun intended) the use of the NRA oil on my stuff. 

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
Some tests are showing a couple other products protect against rust better.  CLP being one.

Yes, for a couple of my old, nicely blued fowling pieces and the like, I will certainly never "break free" from my regimen of traditional oils for rust protection.

But for dirty-burnin' 22s, revolvers prone to cruddy buildup on the cylinder, and plasticy pistols like a Kilo Lima (that are already aesthetically challenged and rust is of no concern) it's Froglube all the way, baby.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:49:01 PM »
I have a hard enough time sleeping if a cricket finds its way in the house, I do not need any more summer sounds inside the house!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:52:09 PM by Gary »

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 10:54:01 PM »
I've been using FrogLube for over a year and am slowly getting all arms converted over. 
I'm a believer in the stuff...it does make clean up so much easier than anything I've used before.  I've found that after you clean and reapply the lube that if you leave a bit too much of it on (after cooling the pieces applied) it will leave almost a gel-like sticky coating and IMHO if thick enough might cause a binding situation in cold weather.  So, do wipe off the excess. You'll still get all the benefit of the lube even after wiping the excess off....its on/in the pores of the metal.   In fact, you'll see it start to come out whenever the metal gets really hot.  I prefer the paste over the liquid...either way though, it's slippery stuff and very much rust resistant. 
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 11:38:15 PM »

Lots of home done tests like this on you tube.

Frog Lube came in,  in the top 3.  Some of the products did very poorly.

There is a difference between lubrication and corrosion protection.   A product which claims one degree of protection, may do less well at another thing you would think was all somewhat the same thing.

Folks that try FL, do seem to like the product.  It does not make the shop smell, like some gun cleaning products do.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:59:29 PM by Gary »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 11:44:24 PM »
One thing to remember, the NRA Gun museum does not recommend storing your guns oiled, but waxed.

The best wax, the NRA has found is Renaissance Micro Crystalline Wax Polish.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 11:49:19 PM »
End of that video, showed it is a good idea to also treat your EDC handgun with wax.

Works for me.  (turn your volume down unless you are in the Spirit!)

http://youtu.be/8Qot675c_js?list=UUr0TMbvXxVlab_2AdEkCRGg