< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: woman shot at gun show  (Read 1127 times)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
woman shot at gun show
« on: June 29, 2014, 02:19:12 PM »
something like this happened at a gun show in Lincoln years ago. a dealer had been showing a gun all day long,. suddenly it was loaded and someone was shot.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/29/woman-shot-during-gun-show-demonstration/

I do not put it beyond the anti gunners to go to shows and put live ammo into guns in order to get gun shows canceled.
   at least around here all the shows require you to use a plastic tie to try and keep them from being loaded.
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Thanke

• Forum Member
Re: woman shot at gun show
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 04:44:28 PM »
something like this happened at a gun show in Lincoln years ago. a dealer had been showing a gun all day long,. suddenly it was loaded and someone was shot.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/29/woman-shot-during-gun-show-demonstration/

I do not put it beyond the anti gunners to go to shows and put live ammo into guns in order to get gun shows canceled.
   at least around here all the shows require you to use a plastic tie to try and keep them from being loaded.

Maybe, but regardless, everyone should diligently follow gun safety rules. I feel bad for everyone involved. It would suck to be shot and it would suck to have to swallow the regret being complacent. Not a good deal for anyone.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 04:54:51 PM »
Even if someone sabotaged the gun by secretly loading it, this still qualifies as a negligent discharge. Check to be sure it is unloaded, even if you checked only a minute ago, keep it pointed in a safe direction and keep your finger off the trigger. In situations like this, paranoia isn't a mental disease. It's a survival skill.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 08:45:49 PM »
Gun Safety Rule #1: ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.  FAIL

Gun Safety Rule #2: ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.  FAIL

Gun Safety Rule #3: ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.  FAIL

In order to ND a round into this woman's leg, all three rules were ignored.   Any one of these riles, followed, would have averted this ND.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 09:04:30 PM »
So this relates back to my rant on gun safety (What I have experienced at shooting matches).  People tend to follow the rules when they know the gun is loaded, and then ignore the rules when they "know" the gun is unloaded. 

My belief is that you follow each of the gun rules...every time...without exception.  When you do something that is going to break one of the fundamental four (dry fire being a perfect example), then you make up additional, obsessive if necessary, rules that keep you safe.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 11:58:18 PM »
So this relates back to my rant on gun safety (What I have experienced at shooting matches).  People tend to follow the rules when they know the gun is loaded, and then ignore the rules when they "know" the gun is unloaded. 

My belief is that you follow each of the gun rules...every time...without exception.  When you do something that is going to break one of the fundamental four (dry fire being a perfect example), then you make up additional, obsessive if necessary, rules that keep you safe.

Fly

You are so right.

Every gun, is (treated as) real, and (potentially) loaded.  Water guns, suction cup guns, cap guns, training guns, cut a way guns, even real guns.  All guns, get the rules recited every time you get near them.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 07:52:04 AM »
Gun Safety Rule #1: ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.  FAIL

Gun Safety Rule #2: ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.  FAIL

Gun Safety Rule #3: ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.  FAIL

In order to ND a round into this woman's leg, all three rules were ignored.   Any one of these riles, followed, would have averted this ND.

I would estimate that at least 1/2, maybe even as much as 2/3 of gun owners have no idea what those rules are, and have never even heard of them before.
You could probably bring that percentage up to 95% for people who are looking for their first gun at a gun show or retailer.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Kodiak

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 11:27:15 AM »
I'm sure the percentage is higher on 3 than on the other two since the first two are part of the 4 universal safety rules