< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Volunteer Opportunity Scheel's Hunting Expo- Lincoln.  (Read 4453 times)

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Volunteer Opportunity Scheel's Hunting Expo- Lincoln.
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 10:07:52 PM »
Bull what time you need help Friday, and times for Saturday?

The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 10:22:40 PM »
Scheel's was gracious enough to loan us a rifle.
Will set up at 4 ish at Scheel's parking lot.
Saturday starts at 9.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 10:34:14 PM »
i will have to pass.  i will be out of town.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Critter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 11:51:14 AM »
Hey, I offered to help out with any prizes needed for this but no one got back to me....this organization must be doing fine to turn down free money.........actually, I think it's just a cliquey group and if you are part of the few, you don’t matter.  I helped with their last banquet, gave them $500.00 dollars for a table, bought quite a bit at the auction they had too and no one even came over and said “hi”, nothing, no appreciation whatsoever.....just took the money and ran.  Am I the only one that gets this feeling from them?

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 10:41:52 PM »
I volunteered all day today at the NFOA booth and it wasn't a "win a prize" sort of day.  We handed out brochures and let people use John's L.A.S.R system.  Traffic was light because we weren't on the main path.  While I can't speak to your other issues, I can say that if you want to donate a prize of some sort, the members meeting next weekend in Grand Island would be a better venue. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 11:41:55 AM »
Critter. We absolutely appreciated the offer, but for the life of us, Wallace and I could not come up with a good contest worthy of a prize.  Pretty much any competition are friendly braggin rights sort of thing. 
As for your concern about the cliques, I agree to an extent. There are those of us that step up ( which I believe you have?)  And those that will talk big on a public forum but spend all weekend at the range or home rather than work the front lines.
But PM me we'll tall about the kids shoot in GI next weekend.
I kinda understand your concern with the banquet, o I too spent money I didn't really have. A thank you note would have been a nice touch. But thats a different organization NFOA-PAF and we will have to talk to the heads of that group.  I will say they are extremely understaffed and underfunded and have not been able to do much of anything this year, and sadly, this is the kind of election year they could have made a difference. :(

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 12:12:20 PM »
Nevermind.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 01:08:15 PM by gsd »
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Critter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 09:39:07 PM »
I don't feel the need to hide behind a pm.....am I not allowed to speak in the public forum, maybe others have concerns as well.  "Big" behind the keyboard....nice touch.  If you would like to meet sometime and discuss any problem you have with my candor and the concern I voiced that seems to be bothering you , just let me know.

If you're not being part of the solution, then you're being part of the problem, so just turn around and walk away.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 11:18:32 PM »
Nevermind.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 01:07:56 PM by gsd »
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 08:32:16 AM »
Now boys, don't make me call your mamas!  ;)

Offline Critter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 12:18:41 PM »
Lol, I know, right?  I don’t know how or why he turned my "meet and discuss" into a "physical altercation".  I’m sure he didn’t mean it as a threat, it was probably just the “bachelor degree” talking. 

Ya Bull, I've noticed a lot of  the “talking big” on here that you mentioned....it seems I've been having a little DISCUSSion with one of them...lol.  No big talk here, if you need something for the kids shoot in GI, just let me know what you need and I’ll do my best to make it happen.     

Offline Critter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »
Would gift certificates from Cabelas or Scheels work or even a .22 rifle for like the grand prize? I'm not sure how big of prizes you want to give. I'm in Omaha now so I need to know if want my help with this or not. Get back to me as soon as you can.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 12:49:50 PM »
Answered PM, critter.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 04:29:42 PM »
OK I am going to address the NFOA-PAF issues/questions, I am trying to figure out what I or any of the other PAF principals should have done.  I remember thanking people that night verbally at the event, there was thank you postings made on the web as well.  I know I tried to speak to as many of the 200+ people that were in attendance as possible. I know Rod and Susan also spoke with lots of people and as the auction was ending they became very busy processing gun sales or just collecting for auction items, I did not witness them but beings they are generally polite and appreciative people I would have guessed they would have said thank you at some point of the conversation.

It has been mentioned that we possibly should have sent out thank you cards, to which people? To those that bought something at the auction?  To anyone that purchased tickets? Where does that end?  This event after paying for the venue, food, the auction items and other miscellaneous expenses netted about $300 for the PAF to put toward candidate support.  How much of that should we have spent sending out thank you cards?

That was not a lot of money raised, looking back we could have done a few things different and probably turned out as good or slightly better on the finances, but it was still a successful event.  For the first time ever we got 200 people together, look at the history of the NFOA and we are normally doing good if we hit 50, and we got lots of notice from politicians, Senator Fischer contacted us and wanted to take part, Governor, Senate and legislature candidates ect. were all wanting to meet with the members here that attended.  That was even bigger than expected.

I have been giving my time, and lots of it as a volunteer trying to get things done for our rights.  That includes spending close to 100 hours of the time I could have been spending with my family putting that banquet together.  I have been asked if we are going to do another but with the feedback here I don't know.  I have been working very hard at trying to find a way to rebuild the PAF (the rest of the principals all left this spring) and was looking at taking over more of the responsibilities myself (there are legal requirements that must consistently be met) to get it going so it can make endorsements and fundraise and offer support before the general election.  Is that wanted?  Is there support around here for it?

I am a volunteer, giving my time and my very limited funds to try to do things the best I can.