< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Remington Rifle Recall  (Read 2211 times)

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Remington Rifle Recall
« on: April 11, 2014, 10:39:59 PM »
Gear Scout is reporting that Remington Arms Company is recalling some of its Model 700 and Model 7 rifles with X-Mark Pro triggers; owners of rifles manufactured between  01 May 06 and 09 April 14 are urged to stop using those rifles immediately and determine if they are subject to the recall.
“With about 5.3 million Model 700?s alone out in the wild since its debut in 1962, we can estimate Big Green sold an average of 100,000 rifles per year. With an 8 year recall window, rough (very rough) math tells us there could be as many as 800,000 rifles subject to this recall. That seems like a lot, but the Model 700 has been an extremely popular rifle. The trouble, according to Remington’s product notification, is that excess bonding agent used in the assembly of the X-Mark Pro trigger in some rifles can lead to unintentional discharge of the rifles. Remington says the only remedy is to send recalled rifles in for inspection, cleaning and testing. They stress that consumers shouldn’t try to clean the triggers themselves.” Rob Curtis, Gear Scout

Link to enter your rifle's serial number and see if it is one of the chosen 800,000:

http://xmprecall.remington.com/
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Remington Rifle Recall
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 10:41:27 PM »
On a side note, I just shot my 700SPS Tactical this morning. 1 MOA in a factory stock with a $35 Tasco scope from walmart ain't too shabby:)

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 11:51:24 PM »
The military calls it Rem Fire. Remington has really dragged there feet on this known problem.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 06:48:51 AM »
No. This is a new problem with the X-Mark Pro trigger. This only applies to select rifles built since 2006.

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 10:26:39 AM »
I should be getting a box to ship mine back soon.  Oh well. 

Thanks for the heads up. 

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 05:07:58 PM »
I'm debating just swapping out for a Timney rather than send the rifle back.

It's a long shot, but maybe we get to just send the trigger group back and not the whole dang rifle.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 06:45:25 PM »
I'm debating just swapping out for a Timney rather than send the rifle back.

Yeah the website says mine is part of the recall and I was thinking the same thing or just leaving it alone.  I still haven't sent my XDS's back. 

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 12:37:32 PM »
you know how some car manufactureres have loaner vehicles while your car is being serviced?
Think remington could pass out some loaner rifles while they work on yours?
ha

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »
I got the notice for mine.  According to the serial number mine did not need to be sent back, but according to the trigger type it did.  So I called, and was told that mine did need to be shipped back.  So they sent me a prepaid address label and box.  I took it to Scheels where I bought it because UPS is way on the other side of town.  The salesman I talked to there told me that, in his words, guns shipped from a dealer like Scheels go in one pile and guns shipped from individuals go in another pile, and the ones from individuals have first priority.  I didn't know if he was BSing me or not but didn't want to take the chance on having the wait any longer than necessary, so I took the drive to the UPS center.  Any thoughts on how long this might take?
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 01:33:29 PM »
On a side note, I just shot my 700SPS Tactical this morning. 1 MOA in a factory stock with a $35 Tasco scope from walmart ain't too shabby:)

I didn't shoot mine this morning, but it's a sub 0.5 MOA bone stock rifle with a $300 SWFA scope on it.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »
Okay?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 04:54:12 PM »
I'm just going to put a Timney in mine.  I was going to do it eventually anyway.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 12:12:21 PM »
I'm just going to put a Timney in mine.  I was going to do it eventually anyway.

First thing I did on my 700 was gut everything except the action and barrel. The Timney Calvin Elite is phenomenal! I thought my CZ single set trigger was perfect until I got a Calvin Elite.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 01:44:50 PM »
bradkoll i looked up your calvin elite trigger, you can get those down to 8oz trigger pull?
holy crap, 8 oz?

I was shooting a friends rifle with a pull just under 2 lbs and about crapped myself when the rifle went off while I was trying to take up the creep that is normally in my rifle.... (clearly no creep in that trigger) good thing I didn't put my finger on the trigger until I was on target, but 8oz? thats crazy

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 10:47:40 PM »
Mine came in at 10oz from the factory and I haven't adjusted it yet. Most likely going to be a range gun only so the featherweight trigger is no issue. Originally intended it to be a coyote gun but it weighs 11lbs so I will probably get a Franklin Armory AR as a coyote gun. It would still be a good trigger for hunting if you crank it up to 2lbs, that is what safeties are for in my opinion.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »
In case anyone's interested, I sent mine in May 15th and got it back today, July 14th.  Two months doesn't seem bad.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 06:38:41 PM »
In case anyone's interested, I sent mine in May 15th and got it back today, July 14th.  Two months doesn't seem bad.

When I sent mine in, I was quoted about a 12 week wait. 

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 10:52:49 AM »
I don't know what kind of trigger mine had before, but it came back with a tag saying that they installed one they call "the X-mark Pro," which they say is set at 3 1/2 pounds and is adjustable 2 pounds either way.  I dry fired it a few times and it feels like a nice crisp trigger with no creep.  I don't have much experience with target triggers, but this one seems fine to me, out of the box.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »
I'd rather sign a release and get $100 then send my gun in for 12 weeks