< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: .223 handloads  (Read 2684 times)

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
.223 handloads
« on: September 16, 2014, 01:52:48 PM »
I'm at a bit of a fork in the road here fellas. I wound up with 40 rounds of .223 reloads in Winchester cases with what I was told are 40 grain V-Max bullets. Thing is, they are a tad bit too long for an AR mag, and I think they are loaded a bit light for a semi-auto platform anyway. OAL measured at 2.28".

Being as how I do not have the proper FFL to sell them, should I just pull them down?

Suggestions?
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
Re: .223 handloads
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 02:56:31 PM »
Sounds like a good reason to get a bolt gun.  ;D

My buddy uses the 40gr v-max for prairie chickens. The may have been loaded for that purpose.
As for pulling them, some one with more experience need to chime in here.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 04:00:16 PM »
I wouldnt shoot reloads I dont know anything about. I'd pull them down for components.

Also, you dont need a FFL to sell ammo. You need it to manufacture ammo.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 10:09:44 PM »
 I wonder how much of that bullet is in the neck, if its to long for a ar mag, must not be seated very deep.
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 11:01:48 PM »
Thing is, they are a tad bit too long for an AR mag,

SAAMI OAL specs for .223REM are:

2.125" Minimum
2.260" Maximum

So these rounds are 0.020" overmax.

You could put them in a .223Rem seating die and pooosh the bullets a bit further into the cartridge case.

Assuming:
>Case neck isn't crimped by factory-crimp die or other crimping method, thus preventing such
       an operation.
>New OAL won't be such as to create excessive setback/excessive chamber pressure, like below
        2.125".
>You trust these reloads in the first place.

FWIW

sfg
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:06:52 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 05:17:58 PM »
edit: oops! thread is a month old! my bad...

If it was from a loader you trust - complain loudly.  and return the rounds to them so they can see the **** up.

Otherwise...

Break'em down.  If one thing is wrong, who knows what else is wrong.

Dump the powder on your rose bushes.  You don't know what the powder is so don't trust it!

Save the bullets and brass for another day.

When you do load them again, load them on the lighter side just in case the primers are magnum primers.  If you're overly cautious about the primers being magnum and messing with your future loads, carefully load them in your magazine one at a time and discharge empty casing (just brass + primer) at the range.  If you live in isolation, doing so in your garage is prolly also safe with some ventilation.  Maintain proper gun safey for line of site, backstop, etc.  I dunno if it's considered discharging a firearm (no projectile) - but be aware of city firearm discharge laws, etc.

I *have* oh so very carefully managed to deprime a live primer from a case in a single stage press.  Make sure your bench is completely clear, ear and eye protection, and extremely slowly size & deprime motion.  If you're brave.  My thoughts -- 40 primers is... $1.20 ? $1.50 ?  Just discharge the blank casings and not try to save the money in supplies.  Fingers, eyes, and your tools in working order is more important than less than $2 in supplies. 
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D