Ammunition & Hand Loading > General Ammunition Discussion

Any stories about 9mm bouncing off of a skull?

(1/5) > >>

OnTheFly:
I was at the pistol range last week and I struck up a conversation with a fellow shooter.  As the conversation usually goes, I asked what he was shooting including caliber.  When I queried him, I specifically asked if he was shooting any 9mm.  His response was something like, "NO! I don't own any 9mm.  Any round that can bounce off a person's skull is no good as far as I'm concerned".  He kind of added the "...as far as I'm concerned" in a sheepish manor because I think he realized I was shooting 9mm. 

I don't want to start the usual caliber war here, but I'm just wondering if there is a story I have missed about the 9mm "bouncing off of a person's skull"?

Fly

jFader:
I am no ballistics expert.

....but I know people & you were dealing with a condition that is becoming more prevalent by the hour! The well intentioned misInformed village idiot!  More than likely he heard one of his buddies throw that out there & he felt confident enough in it that I could spread the wisdom!   8)

OnTheFly:
I should add, I didn't believe the story, but often there is some story behind the misinformation.  Some true freakish story that was told, and retold until the final version was completely devoid of the original facts.

Fly

SemperFiGuy:
Depends to a great degree on the skull.

Now....... We're talking Nobody here on this Forum, but we all know some thickheaded people.......

FWIW

sfg:  Often Packs Kahr PM9

bkoenig:
Gun stores and gun ranges are the leading causes of gun misinformation.

Although I'm sure somewhere, somehow, a 9mm failed to penetrate a skull under some weird circumstances.  Probably has happened to .40 and .45 too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version