< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Steel Challenge - July 27, 2014 @ ENGC  (Read 7288 times)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Steel Challenge - July 27, 2014 @ ENGC
« on: July 16, 2014, 01:20:21 PM »
We will be having our fourth Steel Challenge match of the year on July 27, 2014. This is a 6 stage match with all stages being official Steel Challenge stages (Appendix E1). This match is open to the public and will be held at Eastern Nebraska Gun Club (Directions) near Louisville.

This is a fun and exciting match that focuses entirely on shooting skill. There is no running or reloading on the clock, it's all about how fast and accurately you can shoot! It's a great match for new competition shooters as it is much simpler and straight-forward than other types of matches. That said, there is certainly plenty of challenge to be had as the competition is always fierce!

This is also one of the few matches we allow .22lr guns. So if you like to shoot .22s, this is your match!

Important Note: Starting with the July USPSA match, everyone must be in line by 8:30AM at the latest or you will not be allowed to shoot! Please do not show up late! We do not want to turn people away but we will have to if you are late.

Online Pre-Registration: https://clubs.practiscore.com/enps-july-steel-challenge-match/register (Registration opens at 4PM on 7/16)
Please note that you must show up prior to 8:30AM to pay and sign in with match staff even if you pre-register!

Match Fee: $15.

Schedule Is As Follows:
  • Setup will start at 7:15AM. We appreciate any help we can get with setup. The more people we have, the faster we can get shooting!
  • Registration closes promptly at 8:30AM. If you are not in line by 8:30AM, you will not be allowed to shoot the match! We will, as always, do our best to accommodate squadding requests but your chances are exponentially better at getting those requests fulfilled if you register online or show up very early on match day!
  • Safety and New Shooter Briefing begins at 8:40AM.
  • Shooters’ Meeting starts at 9:00AM.
  • Match begins immediately following the Shooters’ Meeting.
Equipment You Will Need:
  • A centerfire handgun chambered in 9x19mm or larger OR a centerfire revolver OR a .22LR Handgun OR a .22LR Rifle
  • A holster if you are shooting a centerfire handgun. It is highly recommended you get one designed specifically for your gun and not a universal holster. A holster is not required for those shooting .22LR handguns.
  • Plenty of ammunition. It never hurts to have “too much” ammo. While you may not use every round, I always recommend a couple hundred rounds (in case of necessary reshoots or "make up shots").

Not sure what division you have the equipment for?
Centerfire Handguns follow the USPSA rules for divisions: http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb%202014%20Handgun%20Rules.pdf

List of Production division approved handguns: http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php

.22LR handguns and rifles are Limited or Open. Use of a compensator or optic puts you into Open, everything else qualifies for Limited division.

If you have any questions please reply to this thread or PM me! I will do what I can to help you out. :)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Steel Challenge - July 27, 2014 @ ENGC
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 01:21:57 PM »
I am honestly really excited about this match. .22 Open Rifle is way too much fun!

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
I am honestly really excited about this match. .22 Open Rifle is way too much fun!

Show Off  :o
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 02:09:50 PM »
I've got to admit, if we could shoot two divisions (which, unfortunately, we don't have time for) the second division I'd shoot would be Open .22 Rifle.  I have a sweet lightweight little Ruger 10/22 with a dot that would be a ton of fun, and SOMEONE has to try to knock Sean down a peg....

...though I'm not really sure I could do it.  Sean is blazingly fast (and accurate) with that .22 AR of his.  And I'm not.   :(

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 06:32:57 PM »
Differentiate between CF production and CF iron if you could. ???

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »
Differentiate between CF production and CF iron if you could. ???
Production means conforming to the USPSA Production rules about type of firearm allowed, very limited modifications, and non-race holsters that are placed behind the hipbone.  Also, limited to 10 rounds in the magazine after the start signal.

Limited (used to be Centerfire Irons) is basically any gun you like with pretty much any modification you like in whatever holster you like placed anywhere you like (other than crossdraw) with the exceptions of 1) must be iron sights, and 2) no compensators.

Short form:  Production is for folks with Glocks, M&Ps, XDms, etc, that don't have hardly any modifications to them, all in normal-person belt holsters.  Irons is for folks who like more expensive tricked-out guns like 2011s in race holsters.

Top-used Production guns:

Here's a fairly standard example of a Limited gun:

There is a also a "single stack" division for those who like shooting 1911s.  Similar to Production, guns used in the Single Stack division must conform to USPSA Single Stack division requirements.

You don't need any sort of competitor "rig" (competition belt and mag pouches locked in place) for Steel Challenge---you may see some, but that is just because people are using their normal USPSA rigs.  They aren't necessary for SC.

In Steel Challenge, you just need a good holster, on a belt that will hold it in place.  (You can carry your magazines in a bag that you set on the table next to where you shoot.)  You don't have to have a competition belt, mag pouches, etc---just a gun, a holster that covers the trigger guard and a belt to holds it up, and several magazines. 

And ammo.  :)

For some commentary about what equipment you need to bring, there's this:

And for a general overview about Steel Challenge matches at ENGC, there's this:
http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,6854.0.html

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 11:34:39 AM »
Good explanation, jthhapkido!

(Although it is really weird to see you with hair again in that video!  ??? )
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:39:35 AM by SeanN »

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 08:22:44 PM »
Me and my little 22 are in.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
Do remember that after you register, you should SQUAD YOURSELF using the link you get via email after the online registration.  :)

(You haven't registered yet?  Why not?  It is supposed to be a beautiful day, and ringing steel is a BLAST.)

Matter of fact, we need a way to tag people in this.  All the folks who have been talking about shooting, getting to the range, their new handguns, etc---they should all come out and shoot the match.

For normal citizens, Steel Challenge is about as similar to self-defense (in terms of shooting skills necessary) as you can get:  how fast can you draw the gun and get accurate shots on target.  For people who like competition, we've got several folks who shoot pretty darn well, and will give you some seriously hard times to beat.  For people who like the social atmosphere, SC is just a good fun time---and the shooting sports are one of the few places I've seen where it is a NORMAL thing for folks to cheer on their toughest rival, and be completely happy to see them have a rockin' run at something.

And for those folks who aren't real sure about their skill, and don't want to be embarrassed:  Don't worry.  Seriously, don't worry.  We have people of all backgrounds and skill levels shooting the match, with ALL TYPES of guns.  No, it isn't wimpy to shoot with a .22.  No, you don't have to be blazingly fast to have a good time.

All you have to do is to be SAFE.  If you can do that, everything else will be a blast.

Get yourself registered and squadded!  (Next SC match isn't until October, so you want to get this one in now! :) )

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 12:18:32 PM »
Question: It has been a while since I've shot a SC, and I seem to remember that there was some affiliation of SC and USPA.  When I register for this match, do i use my USPSA classification, or is there a different classification for Steel Challenge.

Thanks,
Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 04:27:58 PM »
Question: It has been a while since I've shot a SC, and I seem to remember that there was some affiliation of SC and USPA.  When I register for this match, do i use my USPSA classification, or is there a different classification for Steel Challenge.
Use your USPSA number and class---even though SC has a classification which is separate from that of USPSA.  :)

USPSA and SC have now combined in terms of member number---so for everything, use your USPSA number.

For classification: while SC has its own classification, which it nicely calculates and updates for you on the http://www.steelchallenge.com website, there is actually NO PLACE in the SC scoring software to actually put a classification.  (And in a steel challenge match, there are no class awards anyway---everyone shoots against everyone in the division.)   

So if you want to know what your SC class is, go to the website.  For registration purposes however, just go ahead and put your USPSA class, which I can then check against my database for end-of-year stats purposes other than SC match placement. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 05:13:10 PM »
Use your USPSA number and class---even though SC has a classification which is separate from that of USPSA.  :)

USPSA and SC have now combined in terms of member number---so for everything, use your USPSA number.

For classification: while SC has its own classification, which it nicely calculates and updates for you on the http://www.steelchallenge.com website, there is actually NO PLACE in the SC scoring software to actually put a classification.  (And in a steel challenge match, there are no class awards anyway---everyone shoots against everyone in the division.)   

So if you want to know what your SC class is, go to the website.  For registration purposes however, just go ahead and put your USPSA class, which I can then check against my database for end-of-year stats purposes other than SC match placement. 
Roger.  Wilco.  Thanks.

Fly

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 09:29:12 PM »
When we pre-register, there's no need to login or anything, right? 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 10:01:33 PM »
When we pre-register, there's no need to login or anything, right? 

Negative.  You should just be able to click the link in the email and it opens the squading page.

Fly

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 10:05:22 PM »
Negative.  You should just be able to click the link in the email and it opens the squading page.

Fly

Hmmm... Pre-registered, got the email, clicked the link, wants me to login.  Doesn't recognize my email addy, no password sent. 

I can always register the day of I guess. 

I did find out that I get to shoot as a "senior" though.  Good to read the rules. :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:08:15 PM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »
Hmmm... Pre-registered, got the email, clicked the link, wants me to login.  Doesn't recognize my email addy, no password sent. 

I did find out that I get to shot as a "senior" though.  Good to read the rules. :)

I just double checked and I am NOT logged in.  The login button is at the top, and it shows all my information.  When you open the page, does it show your "Registration Info" (name, correct email address, etc)?

Fly
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:18:35 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 10:17:41 PM »

That's---really odd.  I've never had it ask me to login.  The squadding link itself takes you directly to your squadding page.  (Specifically to a page that already has YOUR information for squadding.)

Which email did you use for the link---the first one saying you registered (that does have a squadding link) or the second email that says your registration has been approved (which also has a squadding link)?

For some people, using that first link is doing strange things.  Sometimes.  I've never had any problems with either, but random people here and there have.  No one seems to know why.

Your squadding link should have characters in the link address after the https://clubs.practiscore.com/enps-july-steel-challenge-match/squadding/ part---does it? 

If you have gotten your second email and the link still doesn't work right, drop an email to Julie and ask her to re-send the registration email.

I did find out that I get to shoot as a "senior" though.  Good to read the rules. :)

Yep.  :)   And you've already registered---you just aren't squadded.  On Saturday night, Julie will semi-randomly squad people who didn't squad themselves. (Which, by the way, to folks who are reading:  that's really annoying.  When you register, please squad yourself once the registration is approved.)   Please remember you still need to check in and pay prior to 8:30!

If you want a specific squad, and the new registration email link STILL doesn't work, email her what squad you want.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 05:31:10 AM »
That's---really odd.  I've never had it ask me to login.  The squadding link itself takes you directly to your squadding page.  (Specifically to a page that already has YOUR information for squadding.)

Which email did you use for the link---the first one saying you registered (that does have a squadding link) or the second email that says your registration has been approved (which also has a squadding link)?

For some people, using that first link is doing strange things.  Sometimes.  I've never had any problems with either, but random people here and there have.  No one seems to know why.

Your squadding link should have characters in the link address after the https://clubs.practiscore.com/enps-july-steel-challenge-match/squadding/ part---does it? 

If you have gotten your second email and the link still doesn't work right, drop an email to Julie and ask her to re-send the registration email.

Yep.  :)   And you've already registered---you just aren't squadded.  On Saturday night, Julie will semi-randomly squad people who didn't squad themselves. (Which, by the way, to folks who are reading:  that's really annoying.  When you register, please squad yourself once the registration is approved.)   Please remember you still need to check in and pay prior to 8:30!

If you want a specific squad, and the new registration email link STILL doesn't work, email her what squad you want.

The link above takes me to the squad page.  The two emails I've received contain a link to a page that wants me to login. 

I'm confused.  :) 

I'll try to pick a squad, even though I really have no preference.  :)

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 08:43:47 AM »
I'm having issues with the page too.  It doesn't like the URL in the link so it takes me to the login page.  It's odd that so many are working fine and several are having issues.  Maybe the issue just started yesterday?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 10:28:17 AM »
I'm having issues with the page too.  It doesn't like the URL in the link so it takes me to the login page.  It's odd that so many are working fine and several are having issues.  Maybe the issue just started yesterday?

No, we've had random people periodically have issues.  :(  Most people don't have any problems at all, if they click on the squadding link in the second email (saying the registration was accepted) ----but some do.

We aren't sure why, and neither is Practiscore.  Apparently this isn't a problem that only we have.  Julie did notice that every once in awhile Practiscore changes something in their match code/setup, and that seems to coincide with some people having issues---but not everyone.  Just a small subset of random people.

Go figure.

Anyway---if you don't have a preference, then don't squad and don't worry about it.  If you DO have a preference, send an email to Julie.  The ENPS email for this is a Gmail account, and the enpsinfo is the name you want to use.