< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Faux news  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
Faux news
« on: July 19, 2014, 04:57:33 PM »
In a discussion with a self proclaimed liberal last night the phrase "faux news" was throw around.  I was told Fox does not report facts, just GOP propaganda, and that he and his friends only watch MSNBC.

As an experiment I went to the MSNBC site and entered "Tahmooressi" into their search.  Try it and make sure your liberal friends and relatives do to.  The only phrase that comes to mind is "ignorance is bliss".

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Faux news
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 05:56:15 PM »
IMHO ALL the "News" channels are selling their agenda.  Fox, MSNBC, CNN...ALL of them.  It is called "Confirmation Bias".  I do my best not to listen to any single one source.  I have my personal views which mostly align with conservative views, but have been insulted before when someone suggested I was "Progressive". 

The problem, again IMHO, is that anyone who believes one side is correct on ALL issues is simply not thinking for themselves.

That's all I have to say about that.
Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 06:56:45 PM »
Back in the good old days the news was aired only a few times a day, mixed in with sports and weather. The news caster only had around 30 min. to get all the days news out. Fast forward to 24hr. news (if you can call it news?) I'ts more like a circus for ratings and political bias. (ex. MTV no longer has music videos and TWC just dabbles in weather) Somewhere along the line they all lost track of what they were doing and became obsessed with putting on the show.

IMHO no one puts on a bigger biased joke of a circus than MSNBC.

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 08:31:06 PM »
The link to the list of Fox News contributors is here.  Notice that they range from the EXTREME LEFT to the EXTREME RIGHT.  Also notice that they come from and go to from CNN, ABC, CBS, MSNBC, PBS, Al Jazeera and others.  Roger Ailes was from NBC.  They are members of the Democrat, Republican and Communist parties, and Independents.  In all the other news outlets you will NOT find such a broad spread of contributors as on FoxNews.   It makes faux news out of all the rest. But, I trust it not.

Regardless of how handsome or ugly the newsmen are, the newswomen are rarely anything but beautiful.  Sex sells.

Several nationally known  journalists, of which Krulwich is just but one example,  cut their teeth writing articles for Pacifica Radio, a Marxist low power network mainly on the Left Coast.    Like all Leftist news organizations they shoot their wounded and eat their young.  The Websites "Democracy Now!" and "PRWatch", among others, are joined at the hip with Pacifica.

Having taken a civics course in college where I had to read several major news publications (NYT, Time, Life, etc.) and report in class on the articles I read, I had no reason to suspect that the  stories were being slanted and believed them explicitly.  Listening to a private ABC live news feed, meant only for news folks (a year before they encrypted those feeds) I was stunned.  I listened to ABC newscasters Frank Reynalds  and Max Robinson discuss how they were going to report Pres. Reagan's visit to the NOW  convention as the major speaker on their "World News Tonight".   "Hail to the Chief" announced Reagan's arrival.  He received a 10 minute  or more standing ovation.   He  spoke for about 20 minutes and left following another 5 minute standing ovation.  During that speech he told about a dozen jokes, all but one receiving raucous laughter.  Reynolds began his "report" stating that "Reagan received mixed reviews at NOW ..." and proceeded to let Elenor Smeal devote 1 minute and 45 seconds describing how Reagan was going to grab women by the hair and drag them back into the stone age.   For the next year I watched the news feed every day and compared them with the actual reporting.  For ordinary news the reporting was who, what, where and when.  For political events the LEFT WING slant was in your face.  But, not having access to the live news feeds,  how would people in the cities listening to regular cable news  know they were being lied to?   The access rural areas had to the national media's live news feeds is one reason why the rural areas are so conservative today.

In another case I was switching back and forth between CNN and CSPAN's coverage (via National Park Helicopter) of the Washington Pro-Life march.  The crowd completely covered the National Mall and flowed out into most of the 11 or so streets entering into the mall from the sides.  The park ranger estimated the number in attendance to be between 650,000 and 1 million.   CNN reported 80, 000.  I called CNN and asked to speak to the producer of that news broadcast.  It  was Ed Turner (no relation).  I told him he could see the number of people at the mall via the helicopter on CSPAN and that the ranger reported over half a million and asked how he could be so far off.  He replied "my reporter was there at 8AM and that is the number he reported".  I replied that the rally didn't officially began until 1PM.  He hung up on me.

I'm thankful for the Internet and "we the people" who post YouTube videos of major news events.  It's the next best think to a live news feed. Usually there are several videos of the same event by different people.  It is easy to compare them and see if anyone is fudging.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 08:35:28 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
I've just spent much of the last week installing antennae in the attic, pulling cables and buying Rokus as a part of my "cut the cable" initiative. I was sick of paying all that money to Time Warner and subsidizing the cable news frenzy, real housewives and other reality TV garbage. Windstream is getting me almost twice the internet speed at about half the cost, too.

With the Roku I can get live Sky News from the UK which is vastly better than any news or analysis on US TV; plus they cover minor little things like wars and plane crashes that US cable news doesn't seem to have time for, what with all the Hollywood celebrity coverage they have to air.

Final step is figuring out some sort of VPN or DNS solution to make my IP address look like it is in the UK so I can also get ITV and BBC content. I'm a bit over my head there but learning fast.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 10:02:35 AM »
While I understand that there will always be bias and spin, I was shocked that there was not one story about our jailed Marine on MSNBC.  They have never covered it.   Is it not news?

While I do try to keep an open mind I am finding it increasing hard to deal with the ignorant assault from the left.  They are always the first to bring politics into a conversation and it is very rare that any intelligent debate comes from it.  Any discussion of current events immediately becomes an assault on conservatives.

I am seeing friends and families being split.  Those crazy, fun loving hippies we all know seem to be getting more and more militant.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 12:46:33 PM »
The only reason to ever watch MSNBC is the entertainment value, it's good for a laugh at what they are trying to pass off as news.

My wife gives me static about say I am just giving them viewership, from what I've heard MSNBC is one of the lowest ranked cable news shows on tv.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 01:01:34 PM »
While I understand that there will always be bias and spin, I was shocked that there was not one story about our jailed Marine on MSNBC.  They have never covered it.   Is it not news?

Selling their agenda by NOT reporting these types of stories.

I am seeing friends and families being split.  Those crazy, fun loving hippies we all know seem to be getting more and more militant.

It is funny how everyone who watches one specific channel INSIST they are getting all the pertinent information in the world.  Trying to suggest that their "news" source is biased always starts a raucous debate.  As I said before, if they believe their side/source is right on ALL issues, they are not thinking for themselves.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 02:22:37 PM »
I can see knowing both sides of issues then deciding for your self where the truth lies.

IMHO MSNBC should never be used as a source for anything, they are just pure "TRASH".

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 04:47:05 PM »
It's a pretty simple formula.  Any news organization that promotes gun control as an effective means of crime control is pretty eff'ed in the head and therefore can't be trusted.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 06:12:45 PM »
MSNBC not only thinks all are crime woes can be solved by picking up everyone's guns, USA is a evil empire, the UN and globalization is the answer, all evils can be traced back to rich white men, the Constitution is a out of date document,etc...........

I would not even consider this as something to help shape my opinions on anything.