< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Neverdunnit: Steel Challenge/.22LR So.....  (Read 2706 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Neverdunnit: Steel Challenge/.22LR So.....
« on: July 20, 2014, 05:26:58 PM »
Steel Challenge match coming up, as discussed elsewhere on this excellent Forum.

Now, I've never shot a Steel Challenge in any caliber at all.   Whatsoever.

But....Some folks on this Forum are gleefully looking forward to shooting it in .22LR.   Of all the many calibers possible to use.

Can someone please explain to me (and any one else who wonders) just how this works??   My assumption about Steel Challenge is that hard and heavy steel plates are shot at and knocked down by bullets.   How can the puny .22LR bullet, even Velocitors and Stingers, knock down a heavy steel plate?

Or does the sound of Ping! count as a hit, without knocking down the steel plate.   Or just What??   Or does the .2LR shooter shoot at those whirly-spin targets and set them spinning.   And that spinning counts same as a falling plate??

[Yes.... I could Google-video to do original research, but am (a) too lazy at the moment and (b) into some other stuff right now.   Besides, Forum sources are good sources.] 

Any information would be appreciated.   Thinking about Lovely Daughter and I shooting in the coming SC match.

[BTW:  I have seen a guy use a Beretta 21-A Bobcat in .22lr to shoot a bowling pin match.  And he was actually knocking them off the back of the table. Truth.] 

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Neverdunnit: Steel Challenge/.22LR So.....
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 05:29:56 PM »
My assumption about Steel Challenge is that hard and heavy steel plates are shot at and knocked down by bullets.

No.  They don't get knocked down.  The targets are painted in between shooters and hits are measured by visual/audible means.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 05:41:04 PM »
Aha..........

Pieces now falling in proper place.

Same as the Big Dogs, except slightly different scoring technique.

Thanks, Fly.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 05:49:40 PM »
Of course, knowing if you got hits is not the most difficult part in my opinion. The difficult part is when you have to carry the 1/2" thick 2' x 2' piece of AR 500 steel coated in bacon grease that 100 yards before you shoot…THAT is the most difficult part.  ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 06:21:33 PM »

Same as the Big Dogs, except slightly different scoring technique.

In Steel Challenge, all scoring is done the same.  The targets are static steel---none of them fall for any caliber.

(Well, not unless people miss SO MUCH that they eventually shoot through one of the wooden posts holding up the steel, which has happened before.)

I direct folk's attention to this link which is pinned to the top of the Shooting Sports sub-forum:
http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,6854.0.html

...which pretty much explains everything about Steel Challenge, including a video on equipment needed, and a video that shows several people shooting various SC stages.

That would be this video:

:)

None of the steel falls.  And you have five strings, so at the end of your course of fire, there should be five hits shown on each steel target.  Hopefully.  We paint steel between each shooter.

Centerfire handguns start from the holster, with your hands beginning above respective shoulders.  .22 pistols and rifles start with the firearm held in both hands, pointed downrange at a specified spot, safety off, finger out of the trigger guard.

Tons of fun for everybody.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 07:38:48 AM »
JTH:

Checked out the video.   Will view it again w/Lovely Daughter this morning.

Thanks a big bunch for the most useful information.

And also, thanks for your efforts in the shooting sports.

sfg

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 08:31:37 PM »
Checked out the video.   Will view it again w/Lovely Daughter this morning.

SFG, what did Lovely Daughter think? ???

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 09:14:43 PM »
Protip: Dont shoot rimfire rifle with a suppressor. The RO's get real tired of having you re-shoot.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 09:50:12 PM »
SFG, what did Lovely Daughter think?

Showed LD the video.   She was very relieved when she saw the demo by the Brannew Girl Shooter.  Because she's a BGS, as well.

So--bottom line--is that she's gonna shoot my Ruger .22lr 22/45 in the Steel Challenge on Sunday morning. 

LD packs a .22lr Beretta 21A mousegun for her concealed carry.  She wanted to shoot that particular handgun in the SC, but I convinced her to upgrade to the 22/45, which will be more of a confidence builder for this activity.   She can (and does) get practice w/the Mousegun at Take Aim.

And I............shall shoot my Glock 33 .357Sig.
   With some Speer Lawman and Winchester WB HPs that I won't be using as SD loads.

That's the Plan at this point.

sfg

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »
Showed LD the video.   She was very relieved when she saw the demo by the Brannew Girl Shooter.  Because she's a BGS, as well.

People of all experience and skills levels shoot.  It's all good, and all sorts of fun.  :)

So--bottom line--is that she's gonna shoot my Ruger .22lr 22/45 in the Steel Challenge on Sunday morning. 

LD packs a .22lr Beretta 21A mousegun for her concealed carry.  She wanted to shoot that particular handgun in the SC, but I convinced her to upgrade to the 22/45, which will be more of a confidence builder for this activity.   She can (and does) get practice w/the Mousegun at Take Aim.

Nothing wrong with the Bobcat.  I have a Tomcat in .32, and it is fun.

I will say that shooting SC with a Bobcat would be----difficult.  Certainly allowed, and perfectly legal.  But----difficult.   10" round steel targets at 18-20 yards isn't an easy shot for most people with full-size guns at speed under stress---and a Bobcat would make that a bit more on the difficult side. 

And I............shall shoot my Glock 33 .357Sig.   With some Speer Lawman and Winchester WB HPs that I won't be using as SD loads.

Well, that'll be loud.  :)

Remember to bring as many magazines as you have---5 is the preferred number, but you need an absolute minimum of 2.  (That way as you are shooting one, someone can be reloading the other.)

See you at the match!

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 05:00:41 AM »
We're all brannew shooters once :laugh:

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 07:19:05 AM »
We're all brannew shooters once.......

The way I've been shooting handgun lately, could readily say "still".

sfg

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 08:31:21 PM »
SFG, you and your daughter will have a blast. All skill levels are represented!!
I really don't feel that it is that much of a competition, it is more trying to better yourself.
I will be shooting my MK2 22/45, it is more accurate than I am, and for a few dollars worth of 22lr it is good cheap fun.
Look forward to meeting you.
Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 07:57:10 AM »
Look forward to meeting you.
Greg58

Likewise.

My main goal in handgun matches is to be able to send some rounds downrange that are something more than routinely punching holes in static paper targets.   Paper-punching definitely has its place, I do a lot of it, and enjoy every squeeze of the trigger.  P-P is where shooter's develop the fit-to-hand feel of their handguns, learn which ammo works best, build their jam-clearing routines, dial in the sights, etc., etc.

However, the best practice for potential self-defense situations appears to be some variation of Scoot-&-Shoot, such as USPSA, IDPA, IPSC, Steel Challenge, whatever.   Which is my object in attending the match.

And have fun

See you there.

sfg 

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 08:15:43 AM »
Protip: Dont shoot rimfire rifle with a suppressor. The RO's get real tired of having you re-shoot.

why not use a suppressor?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 08:36:55 AM »
why not use a suppressor?

The timing devices are sound activated, and if they are set too sensitively they will pick up sounds from the next bay.
Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 12:57:17 PM »
The timing devices are sound activated, and if they are set too sensitively they will pick up sounds from the next bay.

And if they aren't sensitive enough, they won't pick up your shots.

Suppressors are great on .22s for your own practice/use, plus they are a ton of fun.  At matches where we have to time you----they just do NOT work on .22s.

We even had to make a specific rule about .22s and timers, because there are only so many times we are going to let someone reshoot a string of fire.  :( 

Quote from the Introduction to Steel Challenge post pinned to the top of the Shooting Sports forum:

"Additional comment about rimfire rifles:

Remember, the timers are SOUND-activated.  Without sufficient sound, they won't activate.   The timers need to be sensitive enough to pick up your shots, but not so sensitive that they pick up shots from different bays.

As such, please don't use a suppressor, and don't use sub-sonic ammunition.  Standard or high-velocity ammunition only, please.

We've done what we can to make sure the timer picks up your shots.  However, if it doesn't, it'll be a 30-second run.  In the match, you'll get three strikes, but on the third, we'll be giving the max time.

(I suppose that technically, that means you only get two strikes before you are out.)

What that means is that for a particular string, if the timer doesn't pick up your shots, we'll let you re-shoot the string.  In the match, we'll let you do this twiceOn the third time, though, (and every subsequent time) the time will be recorded as 30 seconds (the max time for a stage).  That's two passes per match, not per stage."