< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Shield 40 Mag Release Rust  (Read 752 times)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
Shield 40 Mag Release Rust
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:49:55 AM »
Admittedly, since summer has rolled around I haven't been to the range, probably 8 weeks now, however i do carry in the summer, but generally my S&W 442.  Once in a while, i'll strap on my Shield.

I grabbed it Sunday on my way to work, and for what ever reason had the urge cycle the round in the chamber.  I went to drop the magazine, which is when i noticed  the button wouldn't push. 

Ended up cycling the entire magazine, which was flawless, so i'm confident the gun would have operated when needed, but i had to essentially pry the button loose, it was stuck tight.

Finally got the magazine to drop, but then it wouldn't lock back into place, the mag release button was basically gritty, or sticky.  I does not operate smooth or proper.

So what to do, send it to Smith, is this a common occurrence, is there a local guy that can take a look at it?

Basically i'm PO'd, it's my first and favorite gun, must have gotten some sweat on it from IWB carry more than once, and then after sitting all hell broke lose on it.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Shield 40 Mag Release Rust
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:53:26 AM »
I have never heard of that. And I carry a Shield as well. I would say call S&W and see what they have to say.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:06:57 PM »
Wow! That looks like pretty advanced/developed rust.  I have a competition XDm and have found that if i don't make a point to clean the magazine release components inside the grip, that the magazine release will become very hard to push over time.  Since the magazine release is not the easiest to disassemble (actually the hard part is reassembly), all I do is run a brush soaked with a cleaner in the mag well over the components while I push the ambidextrous mag release button back and forth.  The cleaner ends up leaking out around the mag release, but I just keep pushing the button side to side and wiping off the excess cleaner until it is relatively dry.  I just use cleaner such as Hoppe's or Butch's Bore Shine which is good for dissolving carbon buildup.

Of course, my issues are carbon/grit build up from frequent use.  Your issues are different, but the same cleaning technique followed by a light lubing may serve you well.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 03:38:46 PM »
yeah, it's disappointing.  i'm certain that if the rust is showing at the button, what ever going on inside is a far greater mess.

Offline LeeM

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 09:01:37 AM »
Video here shows a mag release mod, but you can see how to remove your mag release button , not too hard.
If the rust hasn't begun to pit , clean it up, lube and should be good to go.
If you're not comfortable doing this, I'll be glad to check it out for you.

Lee

01 Firearms Dealer
Buy-Sell-Trade-Transfers
Q MAX Products Dealer

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 09:43:58 AM »
thanks for the link.  i'll have to look into it a bit deeper this weekend.

after working the button a bit last night, it has really freed itself up, but i'm mostly just concerned about the internal damage potential now, rust and all.

Offline LeeM

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 10:36:12 AM »
thirtydaze,

If you pull the slide off and look down the mag well, you'll see how easy it really is.
I took mine out yesterday, after reading your post, took a couple minutes, if even that.
Like I said, if you need some help, just give me a shout, I'm out here in Millard and usually always around.

Lee

402-990-3490
01 Firearms Dealer
Buy-Sell-Trade-Transfers
Q MAX Products Dealer

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 11:19:43 AM »
thirtydaze,

If you pull the slide off and look down the mag well, you'll see how easy it really is.
I took mine out yesterday, after reading your post, took a couple minutes, if even that.
Like I said, if you need some help, just give me a shout, I'm out here in Millard and usually always around.

Lee

402-990-3490

I appreciate that, thanks.  I'll take a look into it this weekend, and see what i think.  If it's that easy i should have nothing to worry about. 

Heading to CO on Thursday, so i'd like to have it for the trip, however, packing for a 2 week camping trip is going to keep me pretty busy on my evenings.

I'll keep you posted.