< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: nightstand/target pistol  (Read 4927 times)

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
nightstand/target pistol
« on: July 24, 2014, 02:41:47 PM »
My firearms needs list is almost complete, the wants list however is rather expansive.

The next thing on my needs list is a nightstand gun, fullsize handgun that is very accurate.
The recent little shooting contest I did I didn't want to use my own handgun because the only one I own right now in a compact carry gun with a 3 inch barrel, so ended up borrowing a larger handgun from someone

I'm thinking 1911
Springfield XDM competition
10mm or 357sig Glock
or a 357 mag revolver

If I wanted to be able to shoot at 50 yards consistantly on paper, not hunting critters, at least not large critters, what other options should I consider, and or which of the above listed would be a good bet, also want to stay reasonable cost wise, no $1200 guns etc

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: nightstand/target pistol
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 03:07:09 PM »
I have the XDm 5.25 in 9mm.  It is a great gun.  I thaw its quirks, but ultimately very reliable and accurate.  Trigger, IMHO, sucks so I put in the Powder River Precision Ultimate Match trigger.  Another that you might look at would be the Glock 34/35.  Similar to the XDm 5.25, but the trigger is pretty good right out of the box.  It has similar barrel length, sight radius, and slide cut-out.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:09:08 PM »
My dad picked up a 31c about two months ago. He loves it. I haven't got to shoot it yet but I know the thing sounds like a canon! I know he loves it and would highly recommend it to anyone he talks to. I have done some dry fire with it. Not sure about it but it feels good 

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 03:14:20 PM »
I'm liking that long glock 34
weird question, you know how you can get longer barrels for glock, do they make a barrel for the G34 thats longer then the 5.32" stock one?

Pull out a G34 with a 7 inch barrel, that'd be awesome

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 03:56:17 PM »
.357Sig Glock

Ne plus ultra.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 04:14:15 PM »
I'm liking that long glock 34
weird question, you know how you can get longer barrels for glock, do they make a barrel for the G34 thats longer then the 5.32" stock one?

Pull out a G34 with a 7 inch barrel, that'd be awesome

I am not knowing.  We will have to see if one of the local Glockaphiles knows the answer to that question.

Fly

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 05:11:20 PM »
If I wanted to be able to shoot at 50 yards consistantly on paper, not hunting critters, at least not large critters, what other options should I consider

A rifle... I don't get the connection between a night stand gun and 50 yard accuracy. I use a Glock 30 with 13 round magazines for a night stand gun, and if 50 yard accuracy is needed I will use it to fight to my rifle
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 05:15:30 PM »
I have a .357 Mag revolver that was my nightstand choice for many years until I got a .40 S&W M/P.
Big difference with the weight and accuracy and capacity....the magnum is resting in the case now.
A big scary boom doesn't mean much if one can't follow up with hitting on target.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 05:16:12 PM »
A rifle... I don't get the connection between a night stand gun and 50 yard accuracy. I use a Glock 30 with 13 round magazines for a night stand gun, and if 50 yard accuracy is needed I will use it to fight to my rifle

He mentioned that he wanted it for competition.  Maybe that is a distance he is expecting to shoot at a match.

Fly

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 10:09:04 PM »
CZ SP-01 on a budget...    ;D

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_1199/products_id/411552788/CANIK+STINGRAY+9MM+BLACK+FINISH+15%2B1 out of stock right now at Bud's, but I'm sure someone has one somewhere.

If I didn't already own a SP-01, I'd be buying one of these... ASAP.  8)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:58:35 PM »
Glock 19. nuff said.  (although my Shield has spent more time on the nightstand than the 19 recently.)
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 07:20:49 AM »
A 50 yard handgun?  I'd look for something that shoots a rifle cartridge and is tapped for a scope.

Night stand gun?  Anything you shoot well under extreme duress.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 07:46:03 AM »
when my gun friends get together we have contests, those contests always consist of handguns at 15 yards and 50 yards, 50 yards is a make or break point maker in these things so I guess I shouldn't just say I need a 50 yard hand gun, I need a full size hand gun known for accuracy, I like the longer sight radius for obvious reasons for this

8 inch paper at 50 yards is hard, but fun with handguns.

I'm really liking that glock 34 now and yes I know the longer barrel will not increase my side radius, but I think it just looks pretty cool to have the little it longer barrel in those glocks.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 11:13:16 AM »
Ruger Hawkeye .256 magnum for 8" paper at 50 yards.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=417102992

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 01:34:22 PM »
My S&W 28 has seen night stand duty AND has rang steel at 250 yds.
(but No, it's not for sale) 
I had a Taurus 4" .357 I picked up cheap and was planning on flipping, but it fits in this pancake holster I've had laying around, now it does duty as nightstand/ OC pistola.  (crazy thing has a nice DA trigger.) 
What I'm saying is, don't discount the Wheel Guns.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 01:37:37 PM »
There are numerous competitions that utilizes ranges up to and exceeding 50 yards with a handgun.  PPC, Match 3 for pistols, Match 5 for revolvers.  Metallic Silhouette has ranges for hunter pistol from 40-50-75 and 100 yards.  And, recently Julie Golob using a M&P Shield broke 8 inch balloons at 25, 50, 100 and 150 yards.

While I respect Mr. Dan, the comment of I will use my pistol to fight to my rifle, is really just a catch phrase unless you have a rifle with you at all times, and then when you are shooting your pistol to get to your rifle, what are your rounds doing?  Just flying in the air to never, never, land?  I agree if I HAD TO go into a fight, I would prefer a rifle, but if I am at a mall and someone starts shooting at people and I cannot get my family and myself clear and I MUST engage to protect my family, I want to know where my weapon shoots at extended ranges.

Good practice does involve seeing where your weapon shoots at extended ranges.  Most people would be really surprised at the number of people who have never fired their weapon beyond 15 yards, let alone 25, 50 or beyond.

For consistent long range shooting in a good carry size, a medium frame .357 is hard to beat, but I have seen good shooters who shot 9mm, 40s (not so much) and .45s consistently at 50 yards striking a FBI target and qualifying with the weapon at that range.

Again, not wanting to be argumentative, but if you carry a weapon you should be versed in what it can do and what it can't do and then stick to your limitations. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:40:01 PM by sidearm1 »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 03:36:36 PM »
My comments were aimed more at the obvious dichotomy presented by the need for a 50 yard defensive night stand pistol.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 03:57:11 PM »
IMO the ultimate nightstand gun is the FNX-45. 15 rounds of felon deterrent and available night sights and a rail to hang a bright flashlight on. Second choice would be a long slide Glock, but the FNX grip feels more comfortable than large frame Glocks to me.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 04:11:23 PM »
"Dichotomy".... the word of the day. ...

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 07:14:57 PM »
"Dichotomy".... the word of the day. ...

Yes, I am a victim of a parochial school education  ;D
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder