< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: PRT: Movement Seminar, August 16th  (Read 3532 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
PRT: Movement Seminar, August 16th
« on: July 28, 2014, 10:10:03 AM »
Precision Response Training will be holding a 3-hour (approximately, may run a little longer) seminar on Saturday, August 16th, in our continuing string (hey, two is a string) of My Ops Are Blacker Than Your Ops seminars.

Topic:  Efficiency in Motion

If you watch people negotiate stages in USPSA or IDPA, you often see people hesitating, off-balance, or just plain slow.  In this seminar, we'll be teaching you some skills for efficient movement, along with giving you practical shooting advice to to make your shooting more effective based on your choice of shooting platform. (Stance, posture, and grip.)

We will also give you some pointers about minimizing motion needed for shooting skills like draws and reloads.

Movement Seminar:  3 hours, $30, August 16th, starting at 8:30am.  We plan to be finished by noon.

Register here:
http://precisionresponse.4t.com/Schedule.html

(When you register, your registration email will show a "My Ops Are Blacker Than Your Ops seminar.")
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Re: PRT: Movement Seminar, August 16th
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
Precision Response Training will be holding a 3-hour (approximately, may run a little longer) seminar on Saturday, August 16th, in our continuing string (hey, two is a string) of My Ops Are Blacker Than Your Ops seminars.

Topic:  Efficiency in Motion

If you watch people negotiate stages in USPSA or IDPA, you often see people hesitating, off-balance, or just plain slow.  In this seminar, we'll be teaching you some skills for efficient movement, along with giving you practical shooting advice to to make your shooting more effective based on your choice of shooting platform. (Stance, posture, and grip.)

We will also give you some pointers about minimizing motion needed for shooting skills like draws and reloads.

Movement Seminar:  3 hours, $30, August 16th, starting at 8:30am.  We plan to be finished by noon.

Register here:
http://precisionresponse.4t.com/Schedule.html

(When you register, your registration email will show a "My Ops Are Blacker Than Your Ops seminar.")

If you're a master tactician type guy, you already know the value of learning how to shoot from awkward positions.  What better way to do that than to move awkwardly, trip and fall, crash and burn (and perhaps close the distance by bouncing into the target)?  Hard to beat those kinds of moves.   Of course, the naysayers will opine "That will get you killed on the street."  Phooeey!!!

And nothing refines trigger control like picking gravel out of your knees and forehead. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:51:20 AM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 10:13:27 PM »
Anyone who came to the Area 3 Championship has now seen MANY examples of people not having the faintest idea of how to move efficiently.

(That was one tough match.  FUN, but the stages were really mentally difficult overall.)

IDPA---same sort of thing.  How many times have you seen someone run up to a window/port, pause, look, pause, put the gun through the port, pause, aim, then finally shoot, then pull the gun back from the port then FINALLY be able to move on?

Wouldn't it be nice to be on target the moment you get there?  Maybe have your body placed so that you can start moving the moment you are finished shooting?  Know exactly where you are going next, and be able to accelerate as efficiently as possible?

This seminar isn't going to magically turn you into Usain Bolt.  (Just sayin'.)  But it WILL help you work on getting faster and more efficient in your movement.    Shooting accurately is obviously important---but in action competitions, most people waste HUGE amounts of time in poor movement. 

Wouldn't it be nice to do better in the rankings without having to do any of that pesky marksmanship practice?  :)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 07:40:54 AM »

Wouldn't it be nice to do better in the rankings without having to do any of that pesky marksmanship practice?  :)

Yeah, I've just about given up on pesky marksmanship practice.  It's too hard.  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 11:26:02 AM »
Yeah, I've just about given up on pesky marksmanship practice.  It's too hard.  :)

See?  There's the right attitude! 

With some movement skills and a large amount of money spent on equipment, it'll OBVIOUSLY make up for any difficulties with aiming and trigger control! 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 01:34:57 PM »
Just Signed Up For This Promising Event

I'm not coming to increase my speed/shorten my shooting time.   Certain natural laws (gravity, 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, Newton's Laws of Motion, and my own glacial shooting speed) may not be abrogated.  FWIW,  My favorite Civil War general is Gen. George Thomas (Old Slow Trot).

Actually, I'm coming in the hope that I can pick up some entirely new awkward shooting positions, as demonstrated either by jthhapkido or fellow clients.   And just where else can you find a full morning of excellent handgun instruction for a mere $30Buck$??.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 01:47:11 PM »
I'm planning on signing up as long as SWMBO doesn't have any plans for me that day. 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 02:16:46 PM »
bkoenig:

Then don't plan on chatting w/anyone during the breaks.   I'll have you cornered for brain-picking about how to set up a Lee 1000 Progressive.

Of which I have one, all in a clutter of random, odd-looking parts, along with a set of cryptic instructions.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 02:39:19 PM »
Hmmm....no experience here with a Lee progressive.  I've heard they're a little fiddly to get working just right, though.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »
Maybe a Woops on me.

Becuz............I thought you had one such Lee progressive for sale here on the Forum few months ago.

Whoever was selling it, I wuz thinking about buying it, but--most fortunately--somebody else got there first.  Saved me from having two (2) presses that I didn't know how to use.   Illogical, yes.   Of course.  But this here is handgunnery, which has an entirely different logic set.

Anyhow, back to main thread topic:   hope to see you @ jth's event.

sfg

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 09:09:42 PM »
Oh...that was me, but it was a Lee Turret press.  Whole different animal.

Anyway, I just signed up.  Hopefully I can get some knowledge pounded through my thick skull so I can use it at the multigun match the following day.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 06:27:20 PM »
I'm going to stop accepting registrations for the seminar at 10 people , so we've only got room for one more person.

If you are interested, make sure you get your registration in soon!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »
If anyone from the Lincoln area is attending and would like to carpool let me know.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 11:28:46 AM »
I'm going to stop accepting registrations for the seminar at 10 people , so we've only got room for one more person.

If you are interested, make sure you get your registration in soon!

Got your victims, I mean students,  lined up yet?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 12:35:19 PM »
Got your victims, I mean students,  lined up yet?

Got nine so far.  We've got room for one more, so we'll see if we get one before Saturday. 

Should be an interesting time.  We have all sorts of folks showing up.   :)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »
Got nine so far.  We've got room for one more, so we'll see if we get one before Saturday. 

Should be an interesting time.  We have all sorts of folks showing up.   :)

I don't like the sound of this.   Probably won't get to use my colorful sailor talk.  :)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 04:26:04 PM »
Little do you guys know that teaching us "movement" means we'll be learning to dance in unison like a boy band.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 05:04:02 PM »
Little do you guys know that teaching us "movement" means we'll be learning to dance in unison like a boy band.

Little more swing, little less salsa.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 07:10:22 PM »
I don't like the sound of this.   Probably won't get to use my colorful sailor talk.  :)

Please, don't offend my delicate sensibilities :laugh:

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 05:17:32 PM »
Well............

I had the good fortune to attend this event earlier this morning.  Here's my feedback, FWIW:

jthhapkido (jth)
provided an excellent program for USPSA (and IDPA, as well) shooters who wish to reduce their clock times by improving their stage movements.

Nine shooters attended.  Weather was friendly.  Not really hot and mostly overcast during the seminar.  No glaring sunshine.

Stage setups were plain vanilla simple, which really helped concentrate the action on motion and movement aspects, rather than trying to hit swingers (which could be another seminar) and such.

jth, perhaps because of his martial arts training, can move like a cat, so it's instructional to watch him run a course of fire.  However, it's much harder to imitate him.   (I only fell once, and was not the only one.)   He teaches a move called the split-step which is used to get the shooter moving quickly from a stationary position.  He also shows the shooter how to combine the aspects of stopping at the end of the run (foot position, handgun movement, and shooting) such that they are melded into a single fluid event, rather than strung out in time-consuming sequence.  And working around the barriers.

And there was much more, as well.   Including a lot of improvement of shooters' times.

It's always a pleasure to work a class under the guidance of a thoroughly professional, competent, and dedicated trainer.  As was this particular case.

Summary:   First class handgun training event. 

sfg