< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: And the DOPES are at it again .......  (Read 9513 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Re: And the DOPES are at it again .......
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2014, 10:38:38 AM »
I smell a rat. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »
There are still only 2 comments posted, both negative. I will dine there to help the business that helps us. As far as OC if that's what you wanna do, I am good with it. But myself I don't really feel like having a sign on me that says shoot me first, then rob me. JMO

I guess I don't understand that reasoning. Why would they go after someone armed when 99% of people aren't armed and have their noses glued to their phone?

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »
Well, over the many decades I have found that stupid comes in many forms.
D.R

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2014, 11:00:29 AM »
Ok, now they're up.  Good guys have a voice too at 10/11 news.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2014, 11:25:16 AM »
My email to Abby...

Abby,

I just wanted to thank you for your initial story on concealed carry and women.  I found it quite interesting that you grew up in a home without firearms, yet decided that you should learn about them, even obtain your concealed handgun permit.  This is an intelligent revelation that many who are unfamiliar with guns would dispute.  They would argue that you are at more risk just by being anywhere near firearms.  However, the truth is that everyone needs firearms safety training at the very least.  This includes our children.

I know your current focus is firearms safety and personal protection, but there is so much more to the world of firearms.  Being unfamiliar to firearms it may be hard to imagine, but there are a lot of shooting sports that can be quite fun.  My midlife crisis has turned into a passion for the action shooting sports.  Standing in a lane at the firing range will be challenging for a while, but eventually you will need something to keep you engaged.  Action shooting forces you to take your shooting to a new level.  A course of fire requires the shooter to move, reload, shoot from various positions, make decisions on the fly, and all this while being under the pressure of a timer.

If action shooting is too much of a leap, there are several other competitions which will challenge you.  The monthly Rock Your Glock is held at the Lincoln Izaak Walton League range near Bennet, NE.  Note that a Glock is not required to shoot.  You can shoot any pistol, revolver, or even .22lr handgun.  If you really want to get better, these competitions will be the next step in your progression.  If you ever do have to use your firearm in self defense, you will not be able to count on the bad guy to stand still right in front of you.

Even if you don’t want to get involved in shooting sports, there are many great instructors around that teach classes that may be more focused on your interests.

Thanks again for the great story.  Shoot safe!

And her reply...

Thank you for your email.  I was so glad to be able to feature my ccw permit experience on-camera, and I hope it makes people think about the reality of guns in our society.  I REALLY hope I never have to use mine, but I am glad that I am no longer scared at the thought or sight of one - and have learned a great deal in the process.  I certainly plan to continue my training. 

Thanks, again.  Have a great weekend.

What an amazing transformation.  Something I wish could occur more often in this day and time.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2014, 11:29:34 AM »
she needs to do some competitions.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2014, 11:51:29 AM »
That was a heck of a first six minutes of TV last night! Two positive, back-to-back stories about firearms, and the station didn't even air any "counterpoint" arguments. The hoplophobes must have been spitting mad.

My comment on 10/11 posted. Musta been a log jam.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2014, 12:57:34 PM »
My comment still hasn't posted. I guess dropping the F–bomb 36 times may not have been deemed appropriate.

Just kidding, but my comment really has not posted yet.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2014, 05:49:26 PM »
Im at Crave right now. No bulletholes or violence anywhere.... just tables filled with normal people, and then theres me. I told them i couldnt make it yesterday so i made sure to show up today. They said they had a few angry calls.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2014, 05:50:20 PM »
Im at Crave right now. No bulletholes or violence anywhere.... just tables filled with normal people, and then theres me. I told them i couldnt make it yesterday so i made sure to show up today. They said they had a few angry calls.
Impossible!  Those guns just fall out of the holsters and shoot 12 year olds in the lungs...
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2014, 05:04:05 AM »
Boy, I dunno.  The anti-self-defense experts are claiming Crave will be out of business in six months 'cause of this.  :) 

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2014, 06:09:13 AM »
when i was there, i did not see anyone else carrying.  but there were more children under the age of 12 then adults.  husbands and wives with children.... lots of children.  it was a steady flow, but then again it was friday afternoon.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »
Fly.....you never will know....you never will know......
Will you be the one in the bright orange shoot me first vest?  :laugh:

Flight

The last time I went Deer hunting in Colorado I wore a bright red vest.  Walking along the side of a mountain, the ground about 15 feet below me exploded, and a second later I heard a boom!  I looked across to the mountain on the other side  of the creek and saw a muzzle flash but couldn't see the guy.  I don't know where the second bullet hit but I imagine that guy was surprised when the "deer" he was shooting at fired four quick shots a bit the right of where the muzzle flash came from.  No more shots fired.   I was in the bright side, he was in the dark side.  He must have been color blind.  I walked down the mountain, crossed the stream and climbed up to the trail he was using.  As the birds fly about 300 yards between  us.   He wasn't there but a .30-40 Krag cartridge was on the  ground near where he was standing.