< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I am a DOPE but let me remind you ...  (Read 4343 times)

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
Re: I am a DOPE but let me remind you ...
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 09:12:10 AM »
I know Gunscribe an I have disagreed on a number of points regarding OC of long arms. My position is it should not be illegal, but it is inappropriate and I would never hold it against a property/business owner for prohibiting it. The NFOA should appose any effort to ban it.

I have no issue with people responsibly OCing sidearms. I know some in the general public freak out, but doing it may be the only way to acclimate them to it. It sounds like the recent event at Crave was well done.

The problem is in a place like Texas where open carry of a sidearm is illegal, so activists got to rifles and shotguns to make their point. I'd prefer empty holster or airsoft style protests, but I can see the viewpoint of the activists. I just think it's counter productive.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 10:43:54 AM »
I know Gunscribe an I have disagreed on a number of points regarding OC of long arms. My position is it should not be illegal, but it is inappropriate and I would never hold it against a property/business owner for prohibiting it. The NFOA should appose any effort to ban it.

I have no issue with people responsibly OCing sidearms. I know some in the general public freak out, but doing it may be the only way to acclimate them to it. It sounds like the recent event at Crave was well done.

The problem is in a place like Texas where open carry of a sidearm is illegal, so activists got to rifles and shotguns to make their point. I'd prefer empty holster or airsoft style protests, but I can see the viewpoint of the activists. I just think it's counter productive.
^+1^
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
I think farmerbob's (original) post said it best....go back up and read it if you don't remember it. 

There are rights and there are responsibilities and we do live in a changing world.  This isn't the 50's-60's where one could haul around an open gun rack in your pickup and leave the vehicle unlocked at the school yard.  Morality, attitudes and incidents have changed our world and we need to adjust....like it or not.   

This was originally posted at http://www.opencarry.org/    I find this bill something that may be coming to Nebraska and other states in the near future....   http://www.ksl.com/?nid=757&sid=28230755#0fJWf5CPEaQvX0ct.99   And if/when it does then recognize that decisions are easy when you have no other choice.   

Lastly, I do appreciate all that NFOA has done past & present. 

"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 01:56:47 PM »
Actually the Utah law makes sense to those of us that are tired of paying for the actions of others. I often thought they could do something with out punishing everyone that carries. I personally think a business could ban the long gun toting individuals from their store for life and fill out paperwork that they would be arrested for trespassing if they come back. The problem is that anti-gunners like to see everyone that carries pay the price.

I guess you will decide which is better, no one carrying guns or doing it in a socially acceptable respectful manner.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:41:52 PM by farmerbob »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington